New foal color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Score

Reaction score
OK, so no pictures yet - promise to get some up this weekend when I am home. But, new colt born a couple of nights ago -- sire: Bay roan Mountain Meadows Special Express, aka Prince, (his dam is a bay roan and his sire is a bay pinto) out of Hidden Meadows Perfections Image - who appears to be smokey black - she has hazel eyes and is a very, dark brown.

Color of baby: Looks BUCKSKIN to me! I guess if he really is buckskin then she definitely is carrying the creme gene and he threw his bay

Last year this mare's daughter (who is the same color) threw a colt that was the exact same color at birth and he is apparently going toward a bay roan color these days.

Any guesses on what color my new boy will turn out?

Stac

I think its very possible that he is a buckskin.....and your mare would then be proven as smokey black.

I have a mare that threw a buckskin pinto filly....the mare is black pinto, and the sire of the filly was a bay pinto. So we have determined that the mare definitely is a smokey black!

Would love to see pictures of your new arrival~

PICTURES! STACY..... If your mare is indeed a smokey black that of course explains the buckskin....but we need PICTURES. (Besides, we want to see any of Prince's offspring! )

Congratulations!

MA

He could also be a Buckskin Roan and, if the other foal is a Buckskin Roan +Sooty that would explain their thinking he is " bayish"
default_yes.gif
:

There is absolutely no reason why the foal cannot be Buckskin, especially as you describe the mare as Smoky Black.

Incidentally, Prince is my probably only exception to the "I would never use a Roan stallion" line!!!!
default_smile.png

Back