New Filly!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
231007_2053543620528_1302663171_32512060_2976200_n.jpg

227107_2053547020613_1302663171_32512079_7860496_n.jpg

Well, she finally arrived at 4:30 this am after almost 1 full yr. Palomino filly star, blaze and socks! Textbook delivery but a very tight fit. She was standing up in about 15 minutes and would have been up sooner but cord was still attached. Mare wouldn't stand long enough for her to nurse even with banamine. I had to milk the mare and feed the colostrum - about 300 ml by 8 hours after delivery Then when a second dose of banamine finally kicked in the mare stood better but the filly was so tall that she kept latching on to the milk vein. Eventually I got her to reach down to the niple by holding the bottle next to it and guiding her with my finger over to the nipple. Took her 13hours to nurse, but I think all will be ok. Thanks to all of you for the great resources on milking, feeding colostrum, assisting the foal to nurse,banamine, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
So happy for you! There is nothing more frustrating than trying to get a foal to nurse.

I dont even want to think about my current mare going that long. I am pulling my hair out now. I have found though that those over cooked foals are usually up and at it within minutes of being born.

Congrats on a beautiful foal!

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Pretty filly. That first picture is an awwwwwe moment for sure!
default_smile.png

That absolute look of bliss on her face is awesome! Like FINALLY I can stretch out my legs!!!! Congrats!

That absolute look of bliss on her face is awesome! Like FINALLY I can stretch out my legs!!!! Congrats!
Yeah, I think she was a little cramped in momma's tummy...She is 23"tall and plenty of LEGS to stretch now that she's out.

updated photos after unfolding....DSCN6379.JPGDSCN6375.JPGDSCN6352.JPG

Back