New Equipage System installed- Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
We just installed our new Equipage System and tested the units. Very simply done and tested great, even far away. My question is, we brought up the two mares that are now 300 days and placed the halters and alarms on. I out the halters on securely (not hanging) and then placed the receivers on to the throat latch/jaw area snuggly as well. It looks nice and secure. When I heard one of the mares shake her head though it seemed to flop a little more that I expected. Will that hurt the receiver if say they shake their head or rub their jaw, etc?? Should I add vet wrap around the pouch and halter to secure more tightly? This is sure a nice and small receiver, not like the old big old halter monitors I have seen in the past.

Hi Sandy,

We have used the Equipage system for a few years now and it seems they are quite well built to withstand what you are describing. We have never had any problems with what the mares do to them, as far as shaking or rubbing the unit.

Hope this helps.

Steph

No issues here either. The only thing I do just a bit differently is use halters with breakaway "fuses". Just a bit paranoid and indeed one of our very pregnant mares - still turned out and not wearing the transmitter yet - got her halter caught on the fence yesterday and the fuse broke just like it was supposed to. Even so, the force of her pulling back caused her to fall down.

(We do not normally keep halters on horses but this mare is hard to catch and very head shy, hence the breakaway halter).

Thanks guys! I normally never leave halters on either but we have gone through the stall and large paddock with a fine tooth comb and removed anything that looked remotely close to causing a hang up. I did wrap the straps around the halter throat-latch piece and then clipped it on the upper cheek pieces and it seems to be a bit more secure feeling now.

I've been using an Equipage for some years now and never have had any problems with the placement of the transmitters on the halters. They are high enough up under the mares' jaws that they can eat out of a feed bucket without issue and can drink water without getting the transmitter wet. I've never had a problem with them being too loose. Of course, I haven't seen the new transmitters, so I don't know how they fit compared to the old ones, but I bet yours will be fine.

No problems here either, in close to 10 years. Only suggestion I will make is start every year, every mare, with new batteries.. and check them often. Not worth missing a foal over the cost of a new battery.
default_smile.png

Jan

I used my new system last year and never had a problem with it either. I just attached it with the little pouch it came with.

The first night and all was quiet until this am when one of the alarms kept going off and both mares could be seen standing there quiet. Not sure what that was all about and even if I hit the re-set button, it still kept beeping. FInally had to shut it off. Then turned it back on later when we fed and then one started beeping again and this time it was because one of the mare's was eating with her head tilted sideways (we feed in slow feeder hay nets). I guess we will have to buy some tubs to feed in and not use the slow feeders.

Since your system is new, I would assume it has fresh batteries in the transmitters (that the mares wear) as well as fresh batteries in the pager. Those can make a big difference as to whether the system is functioning correctly or not.

Also, the repeater (the base unit with the antennas) has an internal battery. If it is not good, the pager will go off when it shouldn't. Mine was doing that a couple of years ago and I took the cover off and disconnected it. Works perfectly without it! It's a back up battery in case of a power outage, so isn't necessary for the system to function, but could be important in the even of a power outage.

And there is the possibility that one of the transmitters is defective. I've had that happen when one wouldn't function properly - either setting the pager off all the time for no reason or not setting the pager off when it should! I've replaced defective ones. Or had them repaired.

Thanks Becky! I did not know about the back up battery in the repeater. All the batteries were just installed yesterday. So far the pager has been quiet since this mornings false alarms and the one quit eating side ways on the hay net. LOL! Still I think we are going to just feed in a tub so we do not have to worry. I just like the slow feeders but in all reality, the halters or alarms could get stuck on them so a change will be in place by tonights feeding.

Back