New driving horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.M. Minis

Reaction score
Im so happy the driver I started on aug 7 is going so good. I wish there was more showes. I feel he is ready to go to the ring.Im also fear I will never get to show him. I think somone will buy him on your sale. If somone dose they will get a great one he can win in the country under.

We may be comming to your sale and will get to see this horse. I think you should no sale him, and work with him to show next year. You need a Country Pleasure under horse to show. Lavonne

We may be comming to your sale and will get to see this horse. I think you should no sale him, and work with him to show next year. You need a Country Pleasure under horse to show. Lavonne
I would love to but you know its all for sele. I may not even show next year. If I did though he would be somthing to see

Hey Russ.....if he is anything like his sire......he will be an awesome driver! :xreiter:

YOU better be in the showring in 2007......
default_poke.gif
: you gotta go after your next HOF and keep the D.M tradition going!

yea, maybe ready to go in the ring with you in the drivers seat, but what about the rest of us? You could go out and rope a wild monkey and successfully drive it into the ring a week later.

OH. WAIT.

You've already done that. :xbud:

Also......you can't post something like this without a picture. You are such a tease.

I do not believe ANY horse started by anyone on Aug 7th is ready to go ANYWHERE!!

Sorry but some others of us have been driving a long time, too, and believe in doing the job slowly and getting a good driving horse out at the end, not pushing it through at 100 miles per hour, in order to sell or show it.

This sort of post makes me very uneasy.

I do not believe ANY horse started by anyone on Aug 7th is ready to go ANYWHERE!!
In general, I definately DITTO this, Jane. but every once in awhile...THAT HORSE, comes along.

I just have to mention my former stallion/gelding, PJ's Kish Azeem, "Zeemer". I first put him to cart on the 6th August 1998, 12 days later he performed a driving Demo, I took him to his first show, 8th September, where he went Hi-point driving horse, and went on to win every hi-point, at any show he entered, both Adult, and Youth, until I sold him in August 2003. He then did some "driver-training", and took a year to get his driver to his level, and has gone on to being the winner again, having just again, gone Hi-point horse at our last Exhibition. This is in all classes, folks...including roadster, pleasure driving, obstacle driving, AND jumping. Our horses do it all. And this little guy is always the smallest horse at the show, and we show all sizes together, as we show open, non-sanctioned.

Sorry to "steal" this post,
default_wacko.png
: but if this little guy of yours, is anything like my little guy...KEEP HIM!!
default_wub.png
: I now have a gelding that is out of "Zeemer's" full sister, by my stallion "Tex", and he has "big-hooves" to fill. I hope he ends up even half the horse that his Uncle is. With him, it is slow and easy, as he just seems to need it, as most all of them do. I never rushed "Zeemer"...he rushed me. :lol: :lol:

I am running late and just had to post before I left for the day.......

Rabbit, Russ never said he was pushing this horse and certainly NEVER said he was going 100 miles per hour. It's not fair to assume things when you don't know Russ(D.M Minis).

Give em a chance on the forum guys......you don't always have to be so darn blunt.

If he thinks that a horse started on August 7th is ready to show then he is pushing it, sorry but as I said this sort of post makes me very uneasy.
default_sad.png

IMO - I don't think a horse - any horse - can possibly be ready that quickly. With our Morgans it takes lots and lots of ground work before you ever actually drive or ride them. I feel the same applies to minis.

Our first experience with someone showing us how to drive a mini was a complete and utter disaster. We stood back, watching and knowing that the whole procedure was wrong - but trusted this guy (last time I will ever let someone do something with a horse of mine like that). The horse had never been ground worked, never had a bit in his mouth - and this supposed knowledgeable man - hooked him up to a cart and scared the living daylights out of the horse. It took me months to regain the confidence in the little guy. We were lucky that he wasn't hurt - he ended up on his side - still hooked up to a cart!!!!!!!!!

Please everyone - just because these horses are small doesn't mean that we need to treat them any differently than big horses.

I know there are exceptional horses - big and small - but for the most part - take it slow and easy and the horse will be a better driving horse in the end.

If he thinks that a horse started on August 7th is ready to show then he is pushing it, sorry but as I said this sort of post makes me very uneasy.
default_sad.png
Geez.... to quote ... "If you know not that which you speak of" it is best to keep your mouth shut. Or maybe just stick your foot in it.

D.M. has trained more driving horses in his lifetime than probably any 5 or 6 trainers combined.... and many TO NATIONAL DRIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS. If he says a horse is ready to go in the ring, I would trust my life with that statement.

Now, if someone else had made that statement, I would be a little leary....but DEFINITELY not in this case!

people HAVE TO STOP assuming that no one knows what they are doing!!! I dont know the poster but have heard nothing but great things about him. Reputation is everything to me and since he has such a great one I trust that he knows this horse is ready. If this keeps up no one is going to want to post anything on here as everyone is constantly being questioned on wether they are "right". NO WHERE did he ask if WE thought the HIS horse was ready!!!

Now i want to see pictures!!!

Go for it Russ!! :aktion033: I believe in you. Forum readers, you have to know Russ, he does know what he's doing. I think he's just pulling your chain.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
: dionne

I am NOT assuming that no-one knows what they are doing, I am very, very worried by the prospect of ANY horse trained by anyone being ready for the ring in so short a time.

To actually produce a horse in this time is not ,IMO, possible.

To get a horse to go in harness is possible in this time frame, I have had a horse I bred driving in around an hour.

SIX WEEKS later I was ready to say he was a green driving horse.

No way would he have gone near a ring.

The other thing is, the majority of us have NO idea who this person is.

How about

"Hi, I'm so-and-so and I've had a zillion years of driving training and trained 60,000.00 horses to drive. I think my horse is ready to show after three weeks training what do you think, here is a picture"

We are NOT mind readers.

Me, I do not care how long you have been training I just do not think you can produce a horse, driving properly and on the bit etc in three weeks, ready to go in the ring.

I prefer to take my time and get a properly trained horse that can be driven by anyone, does not need a checkrein or blinders and will go out in traffic.

The other most basic point of my concern is that a post like this leads people with no experience at all to think they can do the same.

We ALL know that does happen.

rabbit you know i luv ya
default_smile.png
and i value your opinion. but no where does this post ask for anyones opinion. Also if you read his card he was the 2005 Breeder of the year which tells me thats someone that has been doing this a very long time.

I have to watch myself too. I have also been guilty of giving an opinion when none was asked for. And I also said the same thing to Carol and Lyn on another thread that got heated. Most of the trouble starts when someone gives an opinion when no one asked for one. I dont think people have to come on here and say "i have such an such experience etc etc" to be able to post

to me this was just a post of someone excited about their horse and wanting to share it with other horse lovers.

I have talked to a couple people who will no longer post on LB because of stuff like this. we are really missing out on some great horse people.

and my apologies to the poster for highjacking this thread!

Kay I was not suggesting that anyone should HAVE to put that, only that it is very helpful when making outrageous statements that some might think were just commonplace happenings.

If this person is a miracle worker (and that is NOT said facetiously- after all Monty Roberts must have started voicing his opinion somewhere) then it would be helpful to have some extra knowledge instead of people just shouting that he is well known, and has produced winners!!- not to me and loads of others he isn't.

Not to say he is not MOST welcome, but PLEASE a lttle help here!!
default_smile.png

I was voicing an opinion merely because I REALLY thought it was needed, as a warning to inexperienced people, not because I assumed the person posting did not know what he was doing.

Hence the request for a little knowledge about newcomers.

Most do this as norm, my Dobe Forum has a "Welcome Forum" that is most helpful, but we have so many Forums now I'm not sure where we would squish it in.

As someone who once showed a Morgan gelding his 3rd time in harness...I hitched him up & drove him around the yard on day one, went down the road on a 3 mile drive the next day, and the following day drove him in 3 classes at a show....and kicked butt at the show I might add--

and as someone who knows that many trainers put a ton of ground work/long lining on their horses before they ever hitch them--the horse is fully trained before it's ever put to the cart--and they drive the horse on the cart for two weeks & then show him (and in this case I'm talking some big name Morgan trainers, not Mini)--perfectly safe & better trained than many horses that have been driving on a cart for months...

I wouldn't dream of criticising here. I just say congratulations on your great little horse, & how about getting a photo up for us to see. I'd love to see him!!

Not to say he is not MOST welcome, but PLEASE a lttle help here!!
default_smile.png
I get so tired of people becoming judge, jury and executioner when it's definitely not called for. There is absolutely NOTHING outrageous about his statements...only yours. The snide, out of the side of your mouth comments like "miracle worker" are just plain RUDE! Yes, I'm in attack mode here. I just get so TIRED of it.

I, too, have taken a gelding. WITH NO EXPERIENCE IN TRAINING A DRIVING HORSE (I used to train horses for reining and barrel racing though). I ground drove him for about 2 weeks. Hooked him up. Drove him another week. And drove him in a parade without NARY A MIS-STEP! Yes, I had a header walking with us but after a while she joined me in the cart. The only time she had to get out was walking over the railroad tracks!!!!! (which he went over willingly after sniffing at them)

So give it a rest. No one is suggesting someone with no experience should be able to go out and do this. Heck, I don't even attempt to train horses for driving these days. I'm sending mine out to someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. I was just very fortunate with a very willing and bright gelding.

Sorry to all. I will tell alittele about myslf.I`ve been training horses for myself for about 20 years both minis

and qurters. I have been in the minis from 1989 and in 1995 had the B poformance horse of the year.

I was raised with horses. Don was showing ponys before I was born.When I take a new horses to the ring he is SAFE. I have not had a wreck in the ring yet. The last thing I would do is get somone or somones horse hurt. I donnt do all the ground work but thats my way and it works go (FOR ME). I would not tell someone to do it my way.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back