NEW BARN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcpminiaturehorses

Reaction score
The barn is almost done and I just got a digital camera for my birthday and I couldn't wait any longer to share some pictures. First is the barn that was here when we purchased this place. It will take me a second to post the new pictures. It isn't completed, there is now a loft above the stalls and all of the hay is almost moved. We still need to put some finishing touches on (like the board on the very bottom of the stall) but I couldn't wait. Here is where my husband and I have been spending every moment that we are not at work. Winter is catching us and there will be more done in the spring (like a bathing and grooming area) What do you think?

barnbefore.jpg

barn2.jpg

That is a terrific new barn! ! I love the doors and dividers. Did you make them yourselves?

Liz M.

Oh my gosh I loved the old barn! I would have fixed that up. I guess I'm just an old soul but I find them so charming.
yes.gif

Your new barn looks huge and so nice and spacious. I love the way you have it all set up. Congratulations on all the work.
aktion033.gif
You'll be ready for winter now that the basic construction is done. You cut it rather close like me!
biggrin.gif

I wish you many, many, happy and successful years to come in your new barn.
yes.gif

Yes we did them ourselves. It came to me one day sitting in the truck waiting on my husband so I drew out the stalls on the back of an envelope. The wire is 2" x 4" basically cattle panel. The two end stalls that have less wire on the front are stallion stalls with sliding doors that go to outside lots. The big stall with the sliding door that has no wire is for my quarter horse which also goes out to a big lot. I drew it out and told my husband "this is the barn I want". It's been a slow process with the two of us doing the work but all of the splinters and sore arms will be worth it in the end.
aktion033.gif

I loved the old barn and considered fixing it but it was in such bad shape, rotten boards. I was scared to death that one day it would fall in on my babies!!!! I didn't want to take the chance.
no.gif

Oh I love it, Chris! I always like my barns pretty simple and basic inside. I have two barns that I keep adding additions to cause I still like them! David has offered more than once to build one huge one so I didn't have to use two. But I don't want it like that. I like the 30X40 run in barn for the pastured mares. They can run to shelter when they want or stay out as they want. It has a big dry lot but isn't used much. Just if it's really cold and icey or we're planting/fertilizing the their pasture. In the cold winter we use roll up heavy canvas to block three sides for warmth. Then roll them up when it turns warmer and in the spring through Fall. I enjoy the back of my foaling barn where everyone can see everyone. It's only abt 30X35 but I have three big foaling stalls in there as well as three 8 X 10 (one is built much like yours for a stallion) so I tell Murph to just leave em be! LOL I have however been thinking of a large addition to the front of my sweet baby barn. It would be more like 20 X 60 which would double the size. He said just not just move over the far corner of this pasture and build a 30 X 40 all new barn. No, I don't want to do that! I want it added on to the front of my current baby barn! That's when I have to hear abt roof lines and such.
rolleyes.gif
I don't care abt all that, I just know what I want him to do.
yes.gif

So early next spring I hope to have the money to build the ADDITION (I'll get my way LOL) on to the baby barn. I'll have to use the concrete sheets though that we used in the back to get it to all match with our barn red painting. We've been trying to think of what to do (all the while knowing I would get my way in the end since I'm the main one working in it) that I know just what I want for the addition and where/how I would incorporate it to the back barn. I think it out in my brain all the time because I don't want to lose the character I've achieved in the back with the added lean ons and such. I've never been able to SEE how I want the stall rows done in the front until I saw your wonderful idea, Chris! Mind if I borrow it to some extent next year?

Great job, Guys and I want see more pictures! LOL

Debi

What a beautiful new barn. You and your husband have done a great job. Congratulations.
aktion033.gif

aktion033.gif
Very Nice. . These pictures are always and education and I just keep adding things to my wish list everytime I see someones bar.Thank You for sharing.

Tiffany

I like the looks of the old barn too but it did look like it would take a lot to get it fixed up.

I like the looks of the old barn too but it did look like it would take a lot to get it fixed up.

Very nice indeed, but I'm with Marty, I love the old barns. I would have used it for something, maybe not the horses. I gotta get some pictures up of my old barn that we have been steadily working on forever it seems. My husband would die to have an old silo on our place too.

I loved the looks of your old barn too, but I can see your concerns. I would have done the same thing in building a new one if the old one was not safe structurally. But I LOVE the way the old barns were built, they had so much character, and are just so pretty! You new barn is NICE!!!! So open and roomy...congratulations, I'll bet you're excited!
aktion033.gif

How beautiful! Congratulations -- be sure and post again when it is all finished!

wub.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
wub.gif
yes.gif

JJ

Here are a couple of pictures I took tonight with the hay in the loft. You can see one of my stallions in the far stall waiting for grain. The other is where the quarter horse lot will be with the closest small sliding door. Th far sliding door will be another stallion stall and lot. The bar is 40x60, the back half is my barn and the front half (in the picture) will be storage. So much work, so little time. . .
wacko.gif

inside10-18.jpg

westside.jpg

For those who loved the old barn I caught the process of it coming down on film. It was quite a site coming down. I tried to save some of it to put in the new barn just for sentimental value but the boards were so brittle they just snapped. It was in worse shape than we thought.

barn1.jpg

barn2.jpg

Congrats on your new barn!! It seems like new barns are busting out all over!

Latest posts

Back