Never Had Such a Close Call with a Foal Before!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
At lunch time today, one of our maiden mares (Isis) went into labor. The foal was upside down and both front legs were coming together, not staggered. I got the filly turned and fixed the front legs and pulled her out. I thought I was home free! However, the filly wasn't breathing. She did have a heart beat, but it took me quite awhile to get her breathing. I thought I was going to lose her. She FINALLY took a breath, but I thought I was seeing things as I didn't see her do it again. So I resumed my efforts, trying mouth to nose breathing, etc. Then I paused and she took another breath, then another. What a relief!!!! I took the mare and filly to the vet, and they will remain there until later today. I have a mare at 333 days today, so I didn't want to stay gone long, but I wanted the filly at the vet in case she had trouble nursing or something. Things were progressing well when I left as she was trying to stand.

There is still a chance she could be a dummy foal due to the oxygen deprivation, but time will tell.
default_unsure.png

Before I left the vet, I took this picture with my cell phone. When she comes home, I'll use my camera and take better pictures.

IsisFilly.jpg

I'd have to discuss it with the other half of my farm, but I'm thinking of naming her something like 3C Touch and Go? Or 3C Touched By A Star? She has a red head with a star, and she has a red spot around her tail.

Sire, Redrock Incognito:

IncognitoLizPicsmall.jpg

Dam, Reflections What A Star:

IsisProfileJune07medium.jpg

We've been very lucky so far, with the exception of a red bag, we've never had to deal with something like this before. Our mares usually just spit the foals out.

THANK YOU to Julie Miller (R3 on the Forum) for helping me over the phone today. You were MUCH appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just talked to my vet, and she's getting ready to tube the filly with colostrum. She is showing interest in nursing, but hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet, and it doesn't help that Isis hasn't figured out her role as the mother, LOL. She wants to face the filly. My vet said the mare isn't "being bad," she simply hasn't figured out what she needs to do with her filly, since this is her first foal. Once my vet tubes the filly, then we should be bringing her home and we can work on the nursing aspect.

That had to be soooooooo frightening. Sounds like you did a good save. Wishing continued progress for the little one!

[SIZE=12pt]Congratulations.... what a GORGEOUS little filly. She's absolutely precious. I just LOVE her pretty little head.[/SIZE]

I'm sure your vet knows exactly what he's doing but please keep a close eye on her when she comes home as she can have a relapse.

Wow- Stephanie- what a very frightening experience! You did great! What a beautiful little filly, too
default_smile.png
Congrats and I do hope she does well for you
default_smile.png

Peggy

What a beautiful filly, Stephanie! Great job getting her out and getting her going, too! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she progresses well. I bet she does.
default_wink.png

Well, I'm just about in tears. My baby had a baby.
default_wub.png
That little filly is absolutely beautiful.

Good job on your quick thinking and actions!

When you have time to catch your breath I'm going to want all the details.
default_smile.png
I know there are things to be learned from your experience.

Hugs to all 3 of you!

Charlotte

What a angel you have
default_wub.png
She is sooo cute. Congrats!

So glad everything turned out good, its so scary when things aren't perfect. Congrats on your new redhead.

Good save! Sure gets your heart rate up when those things happen, glad she made it and things are good.
default_smile.png

Jan

default_wub.png
aw

i love pintos.

she is precious

I pray she recovers well.

I love her dam
default_biggrin.png

Congratulations! She is a cutie Stephanie! Thank goodness you were there for Isis!!!

I brought them home tonight, and they are settled in their stall. Isis is cooperating now, not having to face the filly. I think it is because she didn't know the vet and the techs well enough to feel comfortable with them. She pinned her ears at the vet once and the vet tech once while I was there. She is just awesome at home and with us. She didn't want those strangers around her filly. The filly is getting the hang of it. We helped her nurse once we got home, just guiding her to the right spot and supporting her worked. We'll go down to the barn every couple of hours just to make sure she is still nursing. Once we get through the next couple of days, I'll feel much better!

I'll take my camera down to the barn tomorrow and get some "real" pictures of her. The cell phone picture I posted makes her head look big, when it really isn't. I also can't wait to measure her, as she is TINY!

Thanks everyone! I'll post updates tomorrow!

Phew...good job! Sounds like that little filly is quite lucky to have a momma like YOU!

She is just beautiful and oh so tiny!

Congratulations. I will be thinking of you the next few days as she adjusts to her new world and her momma gets used to a little one running around.

I look forward to photos!

default_wub.png

What a darling lil filly. Congrats!

What a scary day for you. Glad you have her home so they will get the 1 on 1 care they need right now.

Back