needing camera system...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frekles93

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I work at a vet clinic and boss is interested in a camera system in the barn It is a metal barn and the office building is also metal. Is there anything that is good that is priced under 300????[/SIZE]

April

Our barn is metal and could not use the wireless camera's.

Just buy a in expensive camera from Canadian Tire, add a RF modulator from Walmart this allows you to add cable.

Cost us $129.00 for camera, modulator $14.99 on sale, and cable 150 feet from our local cable company $33.00

Total cost under $200.00 and have had this system for 3 years. Hope this helps.
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
My original camera and monitor was made by Exxis and I bought it 4 or 5 years ago from SAMS club. They don't carry it any more so did a google seach and found the company that now is doing business as Mace Security Products. My barn is all metal.

Their website is www.securityandmore.com

I was able to get an additional 14" monitor and 2 B/W cameras for $384.00 (they have the monitor and 4 camera for I believe $599.00) and is the same system as my existing system. They do make a package with the larger 17" monitor or you can special order larger monitors if you want.

It is a closed circut system, the cameras are powered off the monitor so there is no need for tying up electrical outlets in the barn. The cable is an RJ11E which is the flat cable that uses the plug end like your telephone and is good up to 300 feet without a booster. The new monitor can be used with the RJ11E cable or you can use the BNC cable type camera with it but they need their own power source. You can also add as many secondary monitors as you need. My original monitor is in the livingroom and the new monitor will be in my bedroom.

This company is able to answer any camera or security question you have, has excellent customer service and can help design a system for you.

I was thinking of getting a color system that was compatable to my existing one but the rep said due to the lighting the picture would be shades of gray anyway so why spend the money.

Wonderful folks to work with and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Here is info on the camera (PSC-1AS)

Internal electonic iris that adjusts automatically to varying levels of light

1/3" CCD chip for quality video images

Built in 3.6mm wide angle lens

One-way microphone for one-way communications (can be ugraded to two way with intercom box) (LOVE THIS FEATURE AS I CAN HEAR WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE BARN)

Comes with mounting bracket and 60 ft of cable

The monitor

14" black and white

Built In Quad processor

Flexible monitor allows for alarm data from each camera

3 Different viewing modes; single image sequential display, single image display or quad display

I love this system. Image quality is very clear. Can see well with low or indirect lights. Wide angle of lens allows for large viewing area. 1 camera will allow me to see 3 of my stalls (Barn is 30 x40 with 4 stalls per side) and 3 cameras will cover the entire barn.

I would recommend this company to anyone wanting to add a barn camera system or a security system to your property. GREAT FOLKS. From time of order to delivery--2 days on the cameras. Monitor was on backorder but got it within 10 days. Plan on adding additional cameras in the future for around the property--ie: driveway and front door.

The most reliable cam I've had over the years was the original cable-type we bought. It needs co-axle cable, which costs a bit, but the camera is still working after 15 years! And it works on any TV, with a little thing that screws on to the end of the cable & then goes on the TV. I got a variety of little B/W tv's from flea markets & such. And you can run one cable from cam, split it to play on two tv's or more with a little gimmick from radio shack or some such.

I'd suggest a cable over a wireless every time. JMHO

Yep I have wireless and it bites! Don't ever buy wireless :eek: It really does not matter whether you have a wood barn or metal barn, reception is reception and anything in it's path will interrupt it and all you will see is static and lines-it makes me insane.

I am reading this thread too so I can get some ideas where to buy for next year..does anyone know if there are any cams regularily available through ebay that are useable through the computer, have at least 100 feet of cord, are weatherproof, color image and economic?? It seems difficult to find all those specifications in one cam.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I have wireless and it bites! Don't ever buy wireless :eek: It really does not matter whether you have a wood barn or metal barn, reception is reception and anything in it's path will interrupt it and all you will see is static and lines-it makes me insane.

I am reading this thread too so I can get some ideas where to buy for next year..does anyone know if there are any cams regularily available through ebay that are useable through the computer, have at least 100 feet of cord, are weatherproof, color image and economic?? It seems difficult to find all those specifications in one cam.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Jen,

Try Super Circuits in Texas......they have about every camera and price range available.

www.supercircuits.com

I ordered our 3rd camera from them this week. We have 2 Super Circuit cams (they are color cams, have night vision, and weather proof) in our barn now and we love them....very dependable units and good picture. All of our cams are wired, after what I have read in the past about the problems with wireless I chose not to even try them. We have metal barns so I did not want to go through the headaches many have expressed with wireless units. We are slowly adding additional cameras as we need them.

If you need further information feel free to contact me.

You can view our cam at www.marestare.com/kinney.htm We have a mare in there now we are watching.

Steph

I have an older wired Radio Shack camera. It's probably around 12 yrs old now and still works as good as the day I bought it. Like Little Wee Horse Farm, this camera connects to any TV and I have it connected to a 13" TV in my bedroom right by my bed. Sure is nice to not even have to get up when the Equipage beeper goes off!

Latest posts

Back