need some input

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jill, i go in early because i'm a morning person. i get a lot done between 7:30 and 8:30, when the phone starts ringing non-stop.

when we went to 4-day work weeks, amy wanted fridays and i took mondays off. it worked out well until all of this other stuff started happening. suddenly, i started getting text messages from amy at 5 a.m. on monday saying she was too sick...too tired...didn't feel good...allergies acting up...you-name-it, and wanted to know if i could work and take a different day off. i did a few times but when i figured out what was going on, i simply stopped answering her texts and she was forced to get her butt OUT of bed and go to work. she should have thought of that while she was partying all weekend. the few times (and i can count them on one hand) that *I* needed a friday off for a valid reason, it was like pulling teeth to get her to trade. now i know that it's because some of the men she is seeing are "regular" friday dates.

one day this week, amy printed out the new illinois DUI laws and handed them to me saying "i have to be more careful." she went on to tell me that last thursday, she thought she was sober enough to drive home at 4 a.m. but when she got behind the wheel, she realized she was not. she did it anyway. i have to wonder...what if one of her children gets sick in the middle of the night? what if there's a fire? what if somebody breaks into their house? there are SO many "what ifs" and her children are home alone some nights, all night long, because she's out partying and her husband works nights.

liz has tried talking to amy but amy just blows her off. it's always during the work day when there are too many interruptions and she can never seem to have enough time to talk to her at length. here again, liz doesn't want a big blow-up with amy but i don't see any other way around it.

i think if i call liz and ask her to meet with me over the weekend, even if she's too busy, at least she will know i'm SERIOUS about this. my weekends are my down time so i think if she knows it's this important to me, at least it will give her some food for thought. we'll see.

I guess you need to figure out what you want. You aren't going to change your boss who is in charge, or Amy who is going in for surgery so will be there at least on the books for the next seven or eight weeks at the least.

Hopefully, your boss will bring in a temp to help and maybe things can get back on track for this time period. It would be nice if she got a temp in for a few days while Amy is still there so she can really help once Amy is out.

Once Amy comes back will be the time for your boss, if she thinks there is a problem, to evaluate the work, internet, and phone problems. Hopefully coming up with a company policy that would address these issues and then there would be reason to let her go if it is deemed appropriate by her boss.

These are only your problems if you allow them to be. I would be looking at what I like about my job and tuning Amy out. Quit covering for her and doing her work.

If your boss doesn't bring in a temp then that is a problem between you and her. This is something you can bring up and hopefully get resolved.

This just crossed my mind, and I doubt it would fit into your plans (only "thinking out loud") but to many people, the way Amy keeps going on about the swinging, it could be considered sexual harrassment possibly? Anyway, just one of those "what if" things that crossed my mind.

well, that went better than i could even have imagined! i called liz at 8:15 this morning and asked if we could talk today. she said absolutely, she would meet me at the office at 9:00. the first words out of her mouth were "charlene! please tell me you aren't quitting!!!"
default_wink.png

i saw no other way around it so i told her everything. i told her about the one-hitter amy keeps in a little "fountain pen" looking tube in her purse. i told her about amy driving home drunk at 4 a.m. i laid it ALL out for her. she was shocked at most of what i told her. in fact, she was speechless. when i asked her what she thinks "we" should do about it, she told me she will give amy her 6 weeks of medical leave and when she comes back, things will either change drastically or she will fire her.

i won't go into the whole conversation because much of what was said doesn't really matter. what matters is that liz is seeing how this is affecting not only me but the office in general. up to this point, i had not told liz about several private pay clients who have called over the past few months and told me they want their retainer refunded because nothing is being done with their case and it's been weeks and weeks since they plopped down $1,000! she was very upset about this.

i do not believe amy has been having "female" problems to the extent she would like us to believe. she claims she can't come to work many days because, well, i won't get specific but i don't think i have to. as i told liz, if those are the things keeping her home sick, how is it that she manages to be able to "party" one or two nights before she's too sick to come to work?? sorry if that's putting nasty visions in your head.
default_new_shocked.gif

liz promised me things would change. she also said i was right, it is not fair to me that i should be the one to take over new civil cases or muddle through amy's unfinished work. i told her i would be more than glad to do whatever i needed to do during that 6 weeks to keep things afloat in the civil area and i would gladly re-learn what i need to know in order to do so but it is with the understanding that when amy comes back, all of those things will be back on HER desk.

finally, i asked liz if she would consider hiring a temp to come in during that 6 weeks, even if it's just to answer phones and calendar court dates and take filings to the courthouse. she did not hesitate, she said she had somebody in mind and would call this weekend to see if she would be available. she told me if, for some reason, she is not, that we would find somebody else.
default_aktion033.gif

i feel SO much better now that everything is out in the open. liz said she knew something was truly wrong, for me to call her on a weekend and ask for a meeting. i think this worked out much better than staying late on a work day or trying to discuss this over lunch. i laid it on the line for her and i'm confident she will act on it when the time comes.

jill, i had not thought about that angle and yes, it has been extremely uncomfortable for me to have to listen to amy talk about such things. however, i will admit that there were a couple of times when i encouraged her simply because i KNEW that this talk with liz was something that had to take place and i wanted to be able to have things i could relay to liz that would make an impression. maybe that was wrong of me to do but i saw no other way. now that liz knows what is going on, i won't tolerate more sexual innuendos from amy. the next time she brings it up, and i'm sure there will BE a next time, i intend to tell her in no uncertain terms that i do not want to hear about it. EVER again.

i think my blood pressure is normal for the first time in months!!! i appreciate everybody's thoughts on this. it's been a very trying time for me and as strange as it sounds, now that i know things will likely improve, i can get on with trying to live a normal life. until the last few days, i had not truly realized how much all of this has been affecting me.

excuse me while i go out and hug my horses!!!
default_biggrin.png

I've been following this post off and on.....

however, i will admit that there were a couple of times when i encouraged her simply because i KNEW that this talk with liz was something that had to take place and i wanted to be able to have things i could relay to liz that would make an impression. maybe that was wrong of me to do but i saw no other way.
LMAO at that statement!!!! sorry..I was up FAR too early this morning to get to a dog show, and I just read that and laughed soooo hard!!! I think I'm in too much pain and lacking far too much sleep
default_sad.png

I can't believe what you put up with!!! Mind you, I would be no different....I did exactly, well ok, not exactly, but I did encourage someone to tell me all the details about what they had in mind to do because they didn't deserve to be paid for what they were doing, when I was being far more conscientious about what I was doing and wasn't even being paid for the work at the time.....
default_laugh.png

Glad to hear things have sorted themselves out....and from very recent experience, I know how things finally coming to a head then blowing up and settling out better than you thought they could have, can make everything seem instantly SOOOOO much better.....one of these days I'll post about things that went on here....but it's just too fresh right now....

~kathryn

I thought the exact same thing that Jill brought up.

Amy is most definitely creating an unbearable workplace environment with her sexual tales. It does NOT matter that you are both female, or that she is not acting sexually. You are made extremely uncomfortable by her stories.

The only question may be if you haven't asked her to stop, but nonetheless, Liz is an attorney and prosecutor and knows full well what a nasty tangle (and horrible publicity) this could create. Not that you would take action, but even mentioning that you consider the situation to be harassment should get her in gear.

Charlene I'm glad to hear you and Liz had your talk and that she's going to see that there's an improvement one way or the other when Amy returns after her surgery. Have a great (rest-of-the) weekend.

kathryn, wake up from your nap and tell us about the dog show!! pictures would be nice, too.
default_smile.png

susanne, earlier this week amy started talking about one of her "partners" and i asked her from now on, to keep it to herself. i just explained to her that i was uncomfortable hearing details. she hasn't mentioned it since. that's something else i discussed with liz today...the fact that amy's "lifestyle" doesn't appeal to me and that i would rather not have to hear about it.

as hectic as the next couple of months will likely be, i'm REALLY looking forward to amy being away.

appy, it's pouring down rain here so i am finishing an afghan and getting ready to start another one. i am giving new meaning to the word "relaxing" this weekend!
default_wink.png

I am so glad that Liz was receptive to your talk. Hopefully she will not back down when Amy comes back to work. I also work in a small office, so I can relate to this. In a small office, EVERYBODY has to pull their own weight. Enjoy the next six weeks of sanity. Keep us updated on the happenings.

thankfully, this week is almost over! amy is off tomorrow (imagine that!) so she has been working feverishly (in between text messages **rolls eyes**) to get all of her stuff caught up.

if she can get away from her phone long enough, she is supposed to explain the checking account to me so i can manage all of that in her absence. i swear, every freaking 5 minutes i look up and she's texting.
default_gaah.gif

i am actually really looking forward to the next few weeks for lots of reasons, not the least of which is i won't have to listen to that horrible ©RAP music that comes from her speakers. i don't think i've ever mentioned that part. gee, it's gonna be such a shame when her speakers no longer work upon her return to work, if she decides to come back.
default_wacko.png

the temp is coming in monday to go over a few things. liz tells me she is a "take charge" sort of person. what a welcome relief THAT will be!!!

stay tuned for the next episode of "as the stomach turns". in the meantime, it gives me great pleasure (well, ok, i'm being sarcastic here) to introduce to you some irritating moron who will attempt to sell you a "shamWOW".
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

I have not read all the posts here (boy, this is a long one) but the MOMENT I read that you work in an attorney's office, and these kids have access to your computer, I about died. WHY are they allowed access to a computer that probably has people's personal and private info in/on it?!!!! And I too, would be really worried that they may delete something they are not supposed to.

If some of these passwords go to screens and places you use to work from, I would just out loud, mention that you are tired of having to renew all of it when you come in each week, and put a password on the computer - period. And yes, your boss should be taking care of it, but since she's not, you need to.

This is putting your office in danger of being sued if unauthorized people have access to your desk, work, and other info relating to your job!! She needs to have them bring something to keep themselves occupied- if they must be in the office at all- and stay off of people's business stuff!!!!

Yep, good thing I dont work there!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Edited to add: just read the part that you had a talk with your boss. I am so glad! Does she realize if/when this gal gets arrested for DUI (or worse) or the 'other problem' you noticed, etc.. this could bring really bad publicity to your office and boss!!! Sounds like this gal is going down the tubes.

I wonder if your boss could create a 'new attendance policy' or something to monitor things closely, and then have documented reasons to let her go if she can't straighten up. Sounds like she is just going down the tubes and I am afraid her wake up call is going to be at the expense of someone else, and won't be a very good scenario.

Keep us posted, will have to go back through the other pages when I have more time and catch up on this 'As the Stomach Turns' ordeal. I feel sorry for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
i did password protect my computer and when her daughter came to work with her recently, she could not log on. nothing was said to me so i'm guessing she got that hint loud and clear.

today is the first day my boss and i have had a chance to go over our talk from last saturday. it started when she told me she had some information about social security disability cases she wanted me to read. i said WHOA, back the truck up! our discussion last weekend specifically included ME not DOING amy's work for her. liz asked if i wanted her to give this stuff to the temp to do. i said no, her job, as far as i'm concerned, is to simply answer the never-ending phone calls, take messages, do filings at the courthouse and calendar court dates. these are all things that take up so much of my time, i can't stay caught up if i have to do it all...

i told liz i would START these civil cases, i told her i would walk through hot coals for her BUT when and if amy returns in 6 or 8 weeks, i intend to give it ALL back to her. every civil case i work on, whether i work on an existing one or start a new one...they are ALL going straight back to amy. she agreed.

and yes, i whole-heartedly agree that prying eyes, whether child or adult, have absolutely NO business on a work computer. that, to me, is a no-brainer and i have taken care of that little problem.
default_wink.png

i was alone in the office pretty much most of the day today. after i finished my own work, i went through some of the files amy left on her desk (so much for her promise of getting caught up before she left). this is day 1 of her medical leave. i already found FOUR things she screwed up. "going down the tubes" is putting it mildly.

my boss was going off on her in a big way and finally told me that this was going to be OUR time to enjoy a no-stress few weeks. she knows the stress i have already been under before all of this even started and she said she does not want to add to it. i said great, we are sure in agreement on THAT!
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to hear all this. It sounds like Liz has finally seen the light.

Maybe the temp person will become your new full-time partner.
default_wink.png

Hope all goes well, and you get some relief. Don't work too hard, or it may become your permanent job to carry the full load!!! That is what usually happens at my job
default_gaah.gif

default_laugh.png
SHAM-WOW Charlene..I was wondering how things were going? I promise to stay more updated on things but sounds like you have TAKEN control
default_aktion033.gif
...So will AMY return? If she does will she realize that things have changed? Will she know that her job is on the line? Will she seek counciling? Will her kids no longer be alouded at work? Will it take a toll on HER nerves when she realizes her days there are numbered...GAD, I can't wait for the ending! :DOH!

default_laugh.png
SHAM-WOW Charlene..I was wondering how things were going? I promise to stay more updated on things but sounds like you have TAKEN control
default_aktion033.gif
...So will AMY return? If she does will she realize that things have changed? Will she know that her job is on the line? Will she seek counciling? Will her kids no longer be alouded at work? Will it take a toll on HER nerves when she realizes her days there are numbered...GAD, I can't wait for the ending! :DOH!
LOL!!! liz seems to think amy might be looking for another job, perhaps even has one lined up to go to after her surgery/recovery. i do know i watched her box up a LOT of her personal stuff on thursday.
default_new_shocked.gif
time will tell, i guess.

i'm sure word will get out that liz has hired a temp. amy's mother will be stopping in every week to pick up amy's paycheck. i intend to make sure the temp is sitting at amy's desk at least a couple of times when she comes in.
default_wink.png
my bad!!
default_biggrin.png

i am SO looking forward to the next few weeks even though my workload will increase. peace and quiet!!! well, except for the dang phone!

Hopefully things are on their way to improvement! I hope you are either keeping record, or letting your boss know about the major screw ups. This is costing your boss money, and will also be documentation for a reason to find another employee.

We have had some horrible people in the office from a temp service, but have found many AWESOME ones as well, which were hired permanently, but it gives you a great chance to weed through folks and find the one that fits! Our Security used to call me 'The Terminator', LOL, cause the ones that didnt cut it were not allowed to linger. You can't when you have deadlines. Paperwork had to go to Security upon termination so they knew not to sign them in the following day, in case they didnt get the message through the agency that they were 'done'.

Hopefully you will have some nice peaceful weeks here and your boss will see how things are supposed to be run in the office.

Glad your password thing worked, LOL
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back