need some input

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlene,

Have you had the "big talk" with your boss yet???? Hopefully this can get resolved without too much conflict. Bless your heart, I know this is tough. Been there, done that.

yep, we talked for 30 minutes right before lunch. i laid it on the line and she agrees, something's gotta give and it's not gonna be her and it's not gonna be me. she intends to talk to amy on monday. she'd do it today but amy isn't working (go figure!) and tomorrow the office is closed for the holiday.

i'll be so glad when this is all out in the open and amy either gets her share of the work done or liz hires the lady who has been begging her for a job for the past year!
default_wink.png

Hey,

I'm fairly new to the forum (sorry this is kind of long), but I have 20+ years of work experience....starting in the criminal justice system. If you handle criminal cases and store information about clients on your computer, no one other than your boss and approved co-workers should be on your computer. You should be able to say without hesitation...only these few individuals have access and be able to know when they have access. Otherwise, there could be serious repercussions. While it is often fun initially to work in a very casual business environment, what you are describing is the very big down-side. I would also guess that there are other boundary issues, but you may have tried to overlook them because you like the small, casual environment. While some people are very responsible, regardless of the boundaries, some will take advantage whenever given the opportunty, especially in a casual environment where there aren't as many boundaries. I have seen some of the "nicest" people do the dumbest things in these kind of environments, it is like they just can't help themselves. Having a group of 3 is also a tricky sometimes.

With that said, I would encourage you to shift viewing this as a "confrontation" to looking at this as setting a healthy boundary. I have found that people will grumble and be kind of passive-agressive when I set boundaries with them; but they get over it and seem to respect me more in the long run, if I stay calm. This sets a nice professional tone for the future too. Sure, things aren't as much "fun" for awhile, but I feel better about the job I'm doing and don't go home stressed out. I've been able to work with really difficullt people that drove others crazy, with this approach. Often worrying about setting the boundary is much worse than actually doing it. You will also be doing the poor kids a favor. Not your problem, but the kids should be out doing other activities that are age appropriate rather than hanging out in a law office all summer. Not sure about your area, but most communities have some kind of in-expensive summer camp type activities for at least a portion of the day. If that is not a possibility for your co-worker to "swing"
default_wacko.png
...there are many non-computer-related things they can do quietly in the office. If you allow them to use your computer, you are enabling her to continue provide poor limited care in the summer months. I would have never had my child at my office when I worked with clients going through the criminal justice system. Sorry, not appropriate for a variety of reasons! Like someone else said, if they don't have your computer, they might bother her enough that she finds something else for them outside the office...! I wouldn't get into the childcare piece with her though...

I'm a school teacher now and have found whenever there is a void (lack of boundary) children will inevitably find it and fill it. Playing on a computer sort of un-supervised...an opportunity for disaster! There are all kinds of things those kids could get into and have it traced back to your law office and your computer. People chuckle at unplugging your computer or taking the power strip home. While funny, seriously I would recommend this approach, if you address the issue and she ignores you. Make sure you password protect though, because they may not have a hard time finding another power strip!
default_yes.gif
If they are smart enough to work your computer and erase cookies, they are smart enough to plug it in. You may have to set a bigger physcial boundary, if she doesn't respect the verbal one. Laptop locked away?

When I used to struggle with this kind of stuff, I liked having people give me examples of what I might say to the person... you can say..."hey, I like the casual atmosphere here and the fun we have, but there is one thing that just doesn't work for me and I need you to understand that the kids need to stay off my computer. Call me uptight or quirky, but I really don't want to get into a big deal with you over this, so if you could respect my wishes and keep them off of it...I'd really appreciate it. If not, I'm afraid, I'll have to figure something else out." ... That is my softer teacher approach...if I were still working in the criminal justice system...it would be more along the lines of what another member said.... "keep your ___________ kids off my computer" ... Depends on the audience and the level of "assertiveness" the person takes. You have to really know your audience.
default_yes.gif
The most effective, looking at them very firmly, making good eye contact and saying... "Look, I'm not going to ask you again, keep the kids off my computer..." Firm, grounded body language will say it all more than any words you come up with...I'm guessing, you will be doing everyone a big favor in your office if you take a firm stand on this and stick to it.

To keep a small informal buisness fun and functional, you will need to have healthy boundaries and procedures for things, otherwise...it is just an illusion and mask for a mess... Sometimes, it takes a really long time for things to come to a head, but they usually do and then people are shocked when it does. You sound like a great lady and very responsible employee...don't be one of those, shocked by a mess down the road... take a stand now....just my thoughts after 4 different work environments and 12 + bosses.... with varying degrees of functionality... Best wishes! ~ Becky

Way to go talking to your boss!
default_aktion033.gif
Keep us posted next week! ~ Becky

thanks, everybody. you have all given me food for thought. jill, i love your feisty side!!
default_aktion033.gif

becky, your input was very helpful. i do store some client information in my computer and most importantly, much of it concerns my juvenile clients. that, as you know, is strictly protected under the law and it has been very bothersome to me that amy would allow her son and daughter access to my computer.

i password protected it today and i told my boss i was doing so. she wanted to know if i would give her my password and i told her of course i would, should the need arise.
default_wink.png
that satisfied her. she knows this whole scenario has upset me greatly over the past few months. since i lost my husband to cancer (not sure how new you are to the forum
default_wink.png
), my stress level maxed out a long time ago and the past 7+ months have been sheer torture for me.

i am not at all sure amy will consider my actions to be a "healthy boundary" but i will put it to her that way, should she ask. at this point, i don't much care HOW she takes it.

had to laugh at your "swing" reference. you know, i don't have a problem with peoples' different lifestyles and even though i certainly wouldn't consider this one for myself, still i don't like it shoved in my face especially under the circumstances. i consider marriage to be sacred and for her to flaunt this whole thing in front of me, well, let's just say my level of respect for her went completely out the window!
default_smileypuke.gif

I'm happy you got it worked out
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Yeah, I would be pretty disgusted by the swinger thing, but I guess that might explain why she thinks you shouldn't have an issue sharing a COMPUTER (ewww, Charlene -- that girl is nasty!).

default_new_shocked.gif
?? In 2 posts you said she (the boss) doesn't like confrontation....then in another you said she's the public defender. Color me stupid maybe.....but
default_wacko.png

It does sound like she's a very nice lady who (maybe) has to fight too many battles in the court room to want to have to fight another in her own office. But I'd be very concerned about these kids (don't believe you told us their ages) having access to juvenile records. Just think of the rumors and gossip they can spread just because they're able to access your computer....especially if they know any of the juveniles. If I was your boss I'd be much more concerned about that possibility than about the discomfort of having a serious talk with Amy about what's been going on. Your office may be small and informal but your files contain information that could have the whole system facing law suits because of unauthorized release of confidential/priviledged information.

Be sure and let us know how Monday goes.

LOL, yep! she's been the public defender for 30+ years. she also has a thriving private practice, much of which involves criminal clients. she is an excellent lawyer and will fight to the death for her people. however, she is a totally different person outside the courtroom. liz is a very sweet person, as christian as they come.

amy's daughter is 15, her son is 11. they live in the next county so her kids don't associate with kids their age in the county where our office is. not that it matters, i still don't like the idea of them having access to ANYTHING on my computer. i don't mean to say i have anything to hide, quite the contrary, but i DO have things to PROTECT.

monday might be an interesting day. i won't find out till tuesday.
default_wink.png

Well....it's Monday now. I know you said you wouldn't know anything until Tuesday, but couldn't you have to drop by work today for some reason or another??? Wouldn't ya just love to be a mouse in the corner? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! if gas wasn't approaching $4.50/gallon, i'd take the 30 minute drive over there and drop in. instead, i'll call liz tonight to see if she "suggested" to amy that she work some extra days to get caught up before she's out for 6 weeks.
default_wink.png

default_yes.gif
WELL, I am sooooo happy to hear your boss agrees and PLEASE...PLEASE post the outcome? Inquiring minds NEED to know
default_aktion033.gif

LOL! you guys will be the first to know. actually, my boss called me on her lunch hour today. she said she had planned to have a long talk with amy as soon as she got out of court this afternoon but alas, amy brought her DAUGHTER TO WORK TODAY. gee, i wonder what they thought when they couldn't get into my computer since i password protected it.
default_new_shocked.gif
i think she got the point, i have not heard from her.
default_wink.png

liz said she told amy first thing this morning that there were a couple of things that HAD to be done before noon. she called the office from her cell phone during a court recess at 11:30 and asked if they were finished. nope. i think liz is beginning to feel the same frustration *I* have been feeling so this will be a very interesting week.

"as the stomach turns"...stayed tuned for tomorrow's episode. in the meantime, please enjoy this commercial of billy mays selling more JUNK! BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!! CALL NOW AND WELL DOUBLE YOUR ORDER!!!!
default_biggrin.png

lol, this has been very entertaining but I have ALWAYS been impatient. I don't like to wait to see the end (In fact I've been known to read in marathons cuz I can't wait til tomorrow to read the ending ;) ) 'sigh' I guess I'll have to tune in again tomorrow to find out how it went.
default_laugh.png

lol, this has been very entertaining but I have ALWAYS been impatient. I don't like to wait to see the end (In fact I've been known to read in marathons cuz I can't wait til tomorrow to read the ending ;) ) 'sigh' I guess I'll have to tune in again tomorrow to find out how it went.
default_laugh.png
don't be too sure. i'm calling liz tonight to see if she had a chance to sneak in a "talk". she wasn't happy about the daughter being there today since it kinda put a crimp in her plan to air her grievances. :DOH!

i got busy this afternoon, watering flowers, sorry to keep you in suspense!

i got an e-mail from amy this afternoon. she blasted liz in the worst way and ended her e-mail by saying she just might not even come back to "this blankety-blank (use your imagination!!!) place after the surgery."
default_new_shocked.gif

apparently, liz did get a chance to tell amy she wanted her at work tomorrow after her doctor appointment. that made amy a not-so-happy-camper. in her e-mail, she told me she'd let me know if she was coming in.

i dunno...i am really tempted to print this e-mail out and show it to liz. it's quite scathing, very VERY nasty. liz bent over backwards to give us both a considerable hike in our "insurance" checks we get twice a month. this is more or less "free money" she gives us to offset the price of travel since we both live 30 minutes from the office. she upped our checks by $100 when gas started going up. amy uses gas prices as an excuse...you know...why come to work if i'm only gonna be there 4 hours? it doesn't fly with liz and it doesn't fly with me.

should i? i don't want to cause trouble but i think liz is entitled to know what is going through amy's head. advice??

Nope, I don't think you should show the email to Liz. Things are in her hands now and I don't think you'd feel right about it if you showed it to her. Sounds like Amy's gonna get herself in more hot water because of her attitude. Once Amy's gone you might want to let Liz read it, but not now. Just my 2 cents.

I agree... I don't think you should show it either. Sounds like Amy has dug her own hole, so just let her fall in!!!! Glad to hear Liz found her backbone. Tomorrow should prove to be a very interesting day.... now we have to play the waiting game again. I can't take the suspense!!!!! Stand your ground, it will bw hard, but will pay off later.

thanks, i was thinking the same thing. i'm saving these e-mails, just in case i need them later. yeah, amy definitely has an attitude. gary would have said she needs an "altitude adjustment", in other words, she needs to climb down off of her high horse.
default_wink.png

i'm sure there will be some things hittin' the fan tomorrow. i'll update you when i can.

so, did anybody fall for any of the junk billy mays was selling during the commercial from this soap opera?? lol

I did! I bought it all! I have always been a sucker for Wait, there's more... :DOH!
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back