Need some input on Just keeping one - if it comes to that

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylilgirls

Reaction score
Need some thoughts,

We are needing to sell & move & buy - I am finding great houses But no enough room for my 3 mini rescue's ( 28" 35" 36" ) & pony (40").

Or I find a great place for them & the house is not for us. We still have time ( who knows how long it will take for us to sell ) & I am seaching evry day. But I need face the fact and may have to give it up to - My crew are my pets, they have all bin through hel1. I have told my self I can not get rid of Booker I have has him since he was 2 months old a sick lil colt, he is now 10 months old stud & 28 inches tall. Could I only keep him if needed? He has bin in a pasture with the pony, she had founder when she first came & we are still working on her hooves & may be in foal ( before she came to me ), She can not play with him, but she is there with him. The 2 of them are in a 3/4 acre pasture and my other 2 are in there own 1/2 acre pasture - they are bosses & some time mean were one may get hert to the pony & colt. So I need to know, How much space is needed per mini? & Can I keep one? if so what could be a buddy? I cant get this off my mind... If you do have 1 tell me about them are they happy and things.

Off to see the homes for sale listings.

Since he has been with the others, I would say, no, it would not be fair.

You are going to run into the problem soon, anyway, as he will not be able to be out with the mare unless gelded, pretty soon, you are lucky to have got this far!

On the up side, though, I would say you could, if needs be, manage on an acre of land, with all of them. You would need that to be a "free" acre, not an acre with the house standing on some of it, and you would need to set yourself up sensibly, but you could manage.

I am sorry that you may have to sell of you beloved minis. I am probably going to tbe the odd man out here, but I think you might be able to keep just one if it comes to that. It will depend a lot on the personality and temperament of the one you keep. Just like people, some do better by themselves than others. I have owned a number of horses (big and small) and many of them were "only horses" and did just fine. Our current big horse Target was really doing fine by himself, but getting a mini for a companion was a great excuse for us to get a mini!!!

Boarding a mini might be another option to consider, as then he would have equine companionship and it would open up your housing possibilities.

I think the real question would be "How happy would I be without a home where I could not have all my animals?"

Would you be miserable if you chose a home where you had to give them all up?

Your new home is probably out there, you just haven't found it yet. Don't get discouraged.

When we were looking to move, a lot of very homes in our price range were plentiful, just no acreage came with them. So we got radical and began to look way out of our area. It came down to buying a "lesser" home with acres or a super nice home with barely a yard. We voted on the lesser home which turned out to be a money pit of re-construction, but heck, we've got the animals. Was this a big mistake for us? I think in the grande scheme of things you need to think about your happiness and what is most important for you.

Life is way too short to live with regrets. Best wishes in your new home hunting.

I still have time to hunt.... I can not put all 4 in the same barn or pasture. Does any one just own 1 mini? We have to stay in the area for the schools PLUS we like the little town, so We are limted that way. I thank you all for your input & if any others that would be great 2. I hate the thought of giving up any of them.. But needing 2 barn 2 pastures & a house that fit our needs will be just sure luck ( that I pray for )... I dont want to do the money pit again, bin there done that & that is why we are in the spot we are in- just 2 many charge accounts in order to fix things, just to much going out every month & the % is killing us - - so we are selling to pay everything off and buy another home with just the basic monthly bills & that includes mini feed & farrier & vet.

Still looking

I wanted to add, you don't need 2 barns. So some are a little more bossy, or rough. Divide ONE barn into the number of sections you need. I have done that, mine is in 3 sections, and I know many others who have done the same. Really wasn't costly, and just cut another door, and fenced another section of pasture.

Best of luck, hope you find what you ALL need!

Horses are herd animals. No matter how well they seem to do by themselves, they do so much better with a companion. IMO if you have to sell, sell 2 and keep 2. Imagine if you had to live day in and day out by yourself?

It's great that you are not in a rush to move so you can find the best home for both you and your horses. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back