Need some ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karma Creek Minis

Reaction score
There is a lady who needs a ride to a show, she needs a ride for two horses which is no problem as i have two empty stalls. i just dont know what to charge her
default_wacko.png
: gas in our area is $2.91-2.99 its going to take about 40 mins to get to her farm from our farm, then another hour to the show. and then we will be taking them home again. I just want to be fair
default_yes.gif
: this show is this saturday

How many miles do you get to a gallon in your rig?

How many horses are you hauling all total?

Is this lady a Good Friend - or are you helping out someone you don't know?

If this was a good friend - I would fill up the tank before I left home - then split the cost of a refill with the friend. Or let her fill up the tank (on the return trip).

If this was an acquaintance (e.g.) not a best friend, I would take the total miles (from your house to her house to show to her house to your house) -- and charge $xx per mile.

I get 12 miles per gallon loaded with a full horse size trailer fully loaded with 4 horses (not minis). I get 15 miles per gallon hauling minis in a little trailer.

For me --- 120 miles = 10 gallons = 30 dollars (assuming $3/gallon).

I have PAID $.50 a mile per horse and even $1.00 a loaded mile per horse to have people haul horses for me to shows.

Also -- be careful -- don't get carried away with more than gas money -- you have to have a special license to "haul horses for hire". That's why you see rigs with "not for hire" painted on them.

JJay

Duplicate post

Last edited by a moderator:
would be hauling a total of 4. two of which are my own. I have not met this lady before. I just want to be fair and charge a reasonable fee. hubby and i were thinking $40 per horse round trip. since its an hour to get to her, and then an hour to the show, and then all day for the show, and then the trip home again...

Be VERY, VERY careful, here.

I hate to play Mrs Meanie BUT, does your insurance cover this?????

What happens if there is an accident????

Draw up, at the very leasts, a waiver indemnifying you from all and any responsibility for all and EVERY problem- up to and including missing the show!!! (Punctures /Breakdowns happen)

Just tell her it is a formality and anyone travelling with you is asked to sign it.

If she won't, do not take her.

It could be the cheapest, easiest option.

Please be careful and check this out with your insurance company first to make sure you will be properly covered in the event of an accident. Accepting even a token bit of cash can easily make it so your personal policy will NOT cover you in the event of an accident, since you're "hauling for hire" (and that requires a commercial policy)

There are people who have found this out the really hard and awful way- hauling a horse for a friend, took $20 for gas, had a bad accident and find out they're weren't covered under their personal policy because of that $20.

I've always heard you can take a gift from a person but not charge. I don't know how true that is but you could ask your insurance man. As soon as you charge I think you would be considered running a business and would need business insurance., but I could be wrong so ask since the subject has been brought up.

Define "gift"

I would not want to risk it, quite frankly.

I know it is terrible that you can trust no-one but honestly, you do not know this person and people will sue for a hang-nail these days.

Define "gift"

I would not want to risk it, quite frankly.

I know it is terrible that you can trust no-one but honestly, you do not know this person and people will sue for a hang-nail these days.
Agreed, and since this person isn't a friend of yours, you might have a hard time convincing the insurance company that the $XXX was a "token" or "gift" and not really just compensation by another name. Just like you can't GIVE anything of value to someone who isn't a family member and has to be actually sold (the "free" horse that costs $1, for example)

Latest posts

Back