Need Prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrselady

Reaction score
Long story short.. came in Saturday night from my daughters beauty pagent and found nilla .. rolling, pawing, lathargic.. all the signs of a colic.. I call my vet !!! He says give her 120 cc's mineral oil.. and 1/3 tube of banamine (he's a vet.. but I ask him to make sure.. Seriously a third of the tube.. he says YES!!) so I did. We were up all night with her .. the next morning she seemed on the up and up. Only to go back down that afternoon.. I call vet back (who by the way can't come out so I call another and they are out of town and can't come for 2 days). The original vet said give her 1/2 of 1/3 this time and more mineral oil.. so I did. My daughter and I took turns with her over the next day.. Monday I was on the phone with everyone I could find to help me get a GOOD vet that worked with mini's on a regular basis.. FOUND ONE!!! Hauled Nilla to him last night at 10:30 only to find out the first dose of banmine was WAY to much..said she was now trying to deal with ulcers. He tubed her very little gas came out. But I think the damage has been done. Today she is down.. not drinking.. not using the bathroom, not eating... just giving up. New vet is headed out today gonna see if her kidneys and all are shutting down. I am so scared she's not going to pull through this one. I should have listened to myself when I questioned that vet on the dosage of banamine. I was in such a panic and I figured he knew what he was talking about. I will NEVER EVER EVER call that man again!!! I have never lost one.. in all my years of owning horses, big and small alike. This is taking a toll on me and it just breaks my heart to go out and see her laid out in her stall, not wanting to get up or fight to live. At least now I have a vet now that isn't scared to pull bloodwork.. and do his job!! I just hope its not to late for my nilla.

All I am asking for is Prayers for Nilla!!!!!

I am so sorry for Nilla and you. I will keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm so sorry for you and your little one. (((hugs))) there is nothing more heartrending than having one of our horses sick and fighting for their lives. I so hope she is up and about again very soon.

Oh, I'm so sorry, you sound so scared and worried. Poor Nilla! Sending prayers for her, and for you!

default_pray.gif
for you and Nilla
default_pray.gif

Here's prayers and (((HUGS)) for you all..

I hope Nilla pulls thru. Keep us updated on her...

Missy

This is so upsetting! What the heck? Why don't these Vets know about minis?

I am so sorry for you and your girl, and I pray she gets better quickly!

Joyce

Prayers coming...ask the good vet about giving her carafate/sucralfate for the ulcers...saved my Thera...time consuming 4 times daily but very effective and affordable. BTW they are tablets..grind it up add to applesauce in a syringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a weanling acting like colic and had the vets three times, tubing her and giving banamine in needle form.

Turned out to be ulcers and they gave us a liquid to give her in the mornings before eating.

She is fine now but there was discussion about euthanizing at one point.

She was bloated looking as well.

Prayers for your little one...hoping for the very best!

I have prayed for you and will continue to pray.

Beth

Prayers for Nilla! I really hope things turn around.

I know exactly how you feel, similar story for my babys pony but with Bute. Keep us posted. Best wishes

I know what you are going through, my little donkey girl that is just turning 3 months has came down with something. The vet has came out a ton of times and we are trying everything we know to do. Finally yesterday she started nibbling her grain so maybe we are on the road to recovery. I have been giving here penicillin shots and equine aspirin. Praying hard fo rthis baby to recover. I will for sure pray for your little one. I know prayer helps. Keep the faith, Kim

Hang in there little Nila. You have a family that love and need you.

xoxox

Latest posts

Back