need information on this situation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss.

I will have to agree with Matt. The colt had an inguinal hernia which the vet should have found before gelding. These hernias leave the testicle sack open to the intestines. Some outgrow it, some do not.

I had a Morgan colt who had one and we had to wait for it to close before operating. Horses with this problem should never be bred as it is hereditary. If it does not close on its own, the horse should be at the clinic and the vet should be prepared to keep the intestines in while closing the hole. All this before gelding.

Do not be afraid to geld in the future, just make sure the vet checks for this hernia before gelding again.

I AM SOOOO SORRY YOU LOST YOUR BOY!!!!! I can only imagine the hurt and loss you feel on losing him during what we all take for granted as being an everyday procedure. I am sending you big hugs and prayers for peace. You did nothing wrong by deciding to geld. You wanted the best for him. He was your precious one. I am crying with you.
default_bye-sad.gif
Godspeed, dear Stanley.

I am so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
Any loss of your animals is always tough. Be strong for your other minis they need you.

God Bless

Thank you for posting this, even though your heart is breaking. We also lost a colt to gelding, and were only told..."I don't know."...when we asked why the horse died. We were told he had "complications" during the gelding procedure, but that was it. Now we have some idea of what may have happened.

My recommendation is find a vet that is very EXPERIENCED with minis! (This guy said he treated minis, but didn't have a lot of experience with them.) Now I have a very experienced lady, while she's more expensive, I wouldn't trade her for the world!

This was the ONLY time I had ever gelded one, all the others came to me pre-gelded. To make matters worse this was my sons horse! Oh the guilt! Time does ease the pain, but you will never forget your boy.

We too had a very rough start to minis. I was about to give up and send the only other mini we had back to the breeder. But the breeder wouldn't hear of letting us give up, and I'm glad he didn't! We went on to thoroughly enjoy all our minis that same year. (the original and two more minis) What started out as a year of heartbreak, ended in taking all three minis to the world show! While we failed miserably in all our classes, we had the time of our lives!!!!

Don't give up just yet. The hurt WILL ease. You WILL be able to enjoy these little ones again...I promise you. Hang in there!

Tons of hugs going your way!!!!

Oh Zelda,

Sending my very deep sympathy for your loss........and a big (((HUG)))........ It all seems unbelievable. We've had many gelding procedures done and this was a new one. Please don't give up on these little guys....... From my experience, there have been so many many more smiles than tears over the years.

Blessings,

Maryann

Sending our sympathies to you. I was not aware this could happen.

I have two two year olds that I wanted to geld but I am really worried now.

What is the right age to geld?

I am sooooooooo sorry. This is heart wrenching. Thank you for sharing. I see me having one gelded and I will be very select in choice of vet thanks to your post. He is our stallion's first and since I don't need two stallions and miraculously got a second blue roan will have him gelded (this also being our first farm bred and first healty born.) I have an ex-vet who would not come out when a mare was laboring with severe dyostocia that I would not recommend to treat anything. I have a so-so vet 25 minutes away. I have a splendiforous vet 2 hours away and that is where he will go when the time comes. My condolences to you and I salute you for making us aware of the risk involved.

This situation also happens in cattle and swine as far the hernia happening and the results from the surgery.

You cannot tell if they have a hernia when they are laying flat or on their back, it falls inward and does not show up then and if they are standing on their feet, their is a slight irregular bulge, you don't want to cut into this area without knowing about the hernia first.

We have had farm animals with this situation and a experienced vet would have looked around and found this hernia before putting him to sleep and then not operate on him afterall.

We are so sorry to hear about this happening to your sweet fellow, its not your fault in this one bit....and don't give up on your horses and we would miss you at the shows Barb......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again for all your kind words it really does help with the healing process. When something like this happens you question everything you do for the horses-- are you doing the best thing for them, are you doing it right- do you even know what you are doing. We have had miniatures for about 20 years and one would think we have some knowledge. The heartache is unbelievable on this situation. My husband is forcing me to get out to the first show and I don't know if I have it in me, I have shown for many years--he thinks it is the best thing. I was able to drag myself down to the barn last night but that is about it. He had moved some of the horses around so Stanleys stall was not empty. I know time will heal this but it is going to be a while on this one. Thanks again for your thoughts, it does help. Sincerely Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I am devasted too by this information! I am so sorry.

I agree with Kimberle - but feel that Vets, like MD's should be held responsible for their errors/mistakes. They certainly charge the same and are as responsible for Animal Health care as a Dr. is in Human Health Care.

Way to sad...............

Beth

Latest posts

Back