need information on this situation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so very sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif

Oh, I can't even put into words how sorry it makes me to read what's happened. This is a worst nightmare. You geld them to give them a better life. This isn't how it was supposed to turn out. My heart goes out to you so much more than I can say.

Oh that is just terrible! Im so sorry to hear you lost him. I hope you feel better soon.
default_no.gif

I am so sorry about the loss of your boy.
default_sad.png

Wanted to thank you for putting your experience on this forum. We have never heard of this happening.

Words can't even express my hurt for you...

Lots of hugs coming to you...Praying for you to have peace as you grieve your loss.

Thank you all for your kind works, I am sitting here at work bawling like an idiot. I am sure my co workers think I am nuts. Zelda is my stupid childhood nickname my sisters came up with and I sort of use it since I am rather private. If you show in area I or II you may know who I am , our farm name is Bar K Farm. This is the worst thing I have ever gone through. We were so full of hope. This will be a tough one for us since I feel it is my fault. I wanted to geld him-- I am sure he did not want that. Such a short life for such a beautiful baby. Oh the heartache. Thanks again. Barb

So very sorry for the loss of your little one.
default_no.gif

I, too, am so sorry for your loss, but please do not blame yourself or make the decision not to geld in the future! I think that you made a very responsible decision to geld, a decision that I wish far, far more people in this world had the sense and the courage to make! I own three WONDERFUL geldings and another that I am going to geld in the future. I KNOW that all three of mine (one of which was an aged former breeding stallion) are MUCH, MUCH happier now that they have been gelded (he got to go back in with his mother who he LOVES, LOVES, LOVES).

Last edited by a moderator:
Barb, I am SO sorry for your hurt and the loss of precious Stanley. You were doing the right thing by him and sadly it turned out the worst way. But please know that there was nothing wrong with your decision to geld him; this was a tragic scenario that is very rare (based on my understanding). But I applaud you coming on here and sharing because now many others can learn from this and it makes Stanley's loss mean something as another horse may be saved by you informing us all about this.

I for one will still geld but will ask more questions. I generally like to geld them as young as my vet will do it and we've done most by the age of 6 months, many younger.

Hugs to you and Godspeed Stanley
default_wub.png

I am so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately it does not get easier when something tragic happens. It only hurts us because we care. I am sorry for your loss, but there is always more room in this world for people that care"too much".

Last edited by a moderator:
I am heartsick for you on the loss of your boy. I know there is nothing that can take away your pain right now, but know that I, as well as many other mini owners are thinking about you. I pray that hope will return to you in the future and you can go on with the minis. I am so sorry.

If this information is useful:

I do know of this happening to a friend of mine, but it was a mature horse with both testicles dropped.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm so sorry to hear about your loss....[/SIZE]

I certainly wouldn't utilize that SPECIFIC vet again. MY PERSONAL OPINION.....

That's an inguinal hernia. I would think that the vet would know he had one before gelding (and either correct it before gelding or not geld). So sorry this happened to you and your boy
default_no.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
Any surgery carries risks and gelding seems so routine anymore that you don't even think about the possible problems. You were doing a good thing for your horse and it turned out badly. I'm so sorry you're hurting and I hope you don't beat yourself up over this...you made the right decision to geld. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I'm tearing up just reading this. I had Tucker, the only boy born here, gelded in Feb and this was on my mind because a couple who came to see Jazz told me it happened to their stallion. They had decided to have him gelded so he'd stay his sweet self for the grandkids. When they went out an hour later to check him, everything had come out. They couldn't save him. They said they'd never buy another horse that wasn't gelded. I can't blame them. They called Cornell and were told it happens 1 in 10,000 geldings.

May time heal your heart. Please don't throw in the towel--the love and joy we get from these wee equine does outweigh the sorrow--eventually. Your grief is strong and raw now.

I'm' so sorry.

Latest posts

Back