need information on this situation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda

Reaction score
This is only my second time posting and I hope I can get it right. We had a yearling stallion gelded over the weekend and his intestine came out of the incision. I never knew this could happen. Very devastating. The vet worked long and hard to get everything put back together. He is now in the clinic and his outlook is grave. The risk of infection is extremely high and his chances are slim. I am heartbroken. These horses do not ask for this. I had planned on showing him this year. Has anyone had this happen-- does anyone have any information they can share and what the outcome was? I tried to research this on the internet but couldn't come up with much. All we can do now is hope and pray he can fight off the infection and come home. Any information would be appreciated. Sincerely Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any information for you but I am so sorry to hear your boy is going thru this. How devastating this is for you.

I pray he is able to overcome this.
default_no.gif

Yes, my vet will not geld a stallion if the inginual (sp?) canal is still open. Even if the testicle is dropped, there is a risk for this happening. Not sure if this is what happened with yours I just know that I have heard of it before.

I'm so sorry you and your little guy are going thru this, I will be keeping him in my prayers today for a recovery.

How could he have known that the inguinal cavity was open? Is that something that could be felt for? I'm so sorry about this terrible experience!

Just wanted to let you know prayers are being said for your guy. Please be sure and let us know how he's doing.

WOW.. so sorry that happened to your little guy. How sad. I pray that the out come is good. Now I wonder if I should geld my older stallion at all ! Gets me to thinking that even though gelding is a safe procedure still any thing can happen.

How could he have known that the inguinal cavity was open?
I took three to be gelded this last Saturday, and my vet would only geld two. I know I had seen both testicles down on this one boy, but the vet when we went Saturday could not feel the one on the right. He felt all the way up and said the inguinal canal was still wide open. Don't know if it is because he felt it or if it is because it had pulled the testicle back up thru there. ???

Actually, I have seen this happen before. A friend of mind had the vet out to geld her yearling TB and asked if I could stop by and help the vet since she had to be at work. Everything was normal when he tranqed the colt and layed him down. When he made the incision, everything came popping out. I was standing beside the colt (who was on the ground, knocked out, thank God) holding about 14 feet of intesting over my head. We moistened it with sterelized water and the vet spent a good amount of time poking the innards back into the colt. It was touch and go for about a week, but the little guy came through it just fine. I hope the outcome is as good for your boy. He will be in my prayers.

default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
coming your way... I have heard of this,

especially if too young and is still open...
default_no.gif

I am praying for your boy, and for you as well, with the stress you are certainly feeling! (((((HUGS)))))

If there is one thing I have learned over the past week is that I will never again have a horse gelded on the farm. I will take them in to the hospital and have a closed castration. I did that with my colt, and even then I had him get a fever that has been hard to shake. A friend of mine was having hers gelded on the farm and when they anesthetized him he stopped breathing. They have not even gotten to the gelding part yet and he is at the referral hospital with paralyzed muscles in his neck/throat. Still touch and go. Now this... Just my feelings, any boys I need to have done are going to be in a place where they can be cared for immediately.

Sending prayers for your gelding. I have heard of this happening before, but I don't recall where. I googled it and here is some reading for you...

Search Results

This was also touched on in a thread here on the forum, in the archives...(starting with the post on this page by chandab, then just keep reading posts on the pages following for more comments)

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...45621&st=20

Good Luck with your boy. I hope he'll be OK.

well, I really thought that he would be coming home wednesday, he was doing great. We went to see him right after work yesterday and was greeted by the vet holding his intestines, the other side had just ruptured. She did emergency surgery but he could not recover from the anesthesia. I am so heartbroken right now I can't even go to the barn. I really want to throw in the towel on the whole miniature thing. Can't take the heartache anymore. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. Rest in Peace Stanley. I am so sorry.

Zelda I wish there was more that I could say except that I'm sorry that you lost him and sorry that you're hurting so badly right now.

I am SO SORRY for your loss!! In all my years with horses, I have never known this to happen to anyone and I am so sorry it happened to your horse. How devistating!!! Hugs to you.

Oh honey, I'm SO sorry you lost your sweet boy!
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I'm so sorry for your loss!!!

I am so terribly sorry.Gelding seems so routine,and I have had some done at three months ,while they were still on their mothers and never even thought that something like this could happen.

Latest posts

Back