Need information on gelding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

Reaction score
I recently made arrangements to have 2 of my boys gelded and was surprised when the receptionist, after consulting with the vet, advised that I did NOT have to withhold food prior to surgery. When I had my other male gelded that Vet Clinic told me to not feed him 12 hours prior to surgery.

What has been your experience with this? By the way, they will be put out for the procedure.

My vet has NEVER recommended this for gelding horses...only spaying/neutering dogs, cats etc. Horses cannot vomit, and I believe this is the reason why food does not have to be withheld from them. Mine have always eaten until the vet actually performed the procedure.

Our vets have never advised withholding feed for a gelding either. Mona made a good point -- horses cannot vomit!

MA

Mona is right, horses cannot vomit. That is the main reason for withholding food on cats and dogs or humans for that matter before a sedation.

However, I do feed my horses light when they are going to be sedated if it is being done close to feeding time. Then a couple hours after they wake up I give them a bite to comfort them. I usually include a nice warm bran mash as well. It is more for me than for them but it does help them to move their bowels too.

This is just how I do it, there is nothing wrong with either way.

I'm having Shadow gelded Thursday and didn't think about it as I knew they can't vomit, but glad to have that confirmed here.

He'll surely get a nice pan of warm soaked beet pulp on top of his grain,BOSS that night:)

God luck to all those boys:) Maxine

Latest posts

Back