Need horse inspected for AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Susan for your comments... I too would like to know how this change benefits the membership OR the registry as a whole? Perhaps some past or current directors can enlighten us on that?

I feel the registry is missing out on a LOT of income by not lowering the hardship fees some and having folks available in each state to inspect horses, whether by a judge, a director or even by authorized inspectors for the registry and that is their function is to inspect horses.

If you add it up over the years, it just isnt the one time registry fee for the mare... how many foals is she going to have over the next 15 years or so? I have already kept one filly as a future broodmare. She will definitely be A sized also. How many more offspring will this mare's offspring have? And so on, and so on. It's not just one horse.... it is generations that will come over the next few years as this mare's offspring are old enough to breed etc....

I have a small herd of about 10 right now. It appears that 3 will end up R only... that is almost 33% of my herd. If I keep more of this mare's offspring, I will have to sell off one or two others, that is going to make my herd end up at least 50%, perhaps more, of R only horses.... Do you see where this is going? Eventually, to cut down on fees, paperwork, etc... something is going to be phased out.

I just do not understand why hardshipping was made SO difficult. I personally just can't afford the outragious fees and then have to pay someone's travel expenses on top of that. I am really disappointed.......................

Now I think I know why the hardshipping is being closed down... no one can use it.

Ok, I have to add here that I have received a second email from one of the directors in my region who is trying to be very helpful, and I certainly appreciate that, though he himself will not be here in the state. He has made a couple of suggestions to me that I will follow up on tomorrow... dont want to mention names without permission, but I certainly appreciate his help and extra explanations and he didnt even take my venting personally! LOL
default_wink.png

I can completely understand your frustration; it is a big inconvenience that seems like it should have an easier fix. I really like your idea of having a designated State inspector, maybe this idea should be brought to our directors. I will also agree with what others have stated that this change was necessary. Sadly the less strict guidelines where allowing members to abuse the system. I agree that it is wrong to punish everyone for the actions of just a few, but the actions of those few have really affected a lot of the members. There are members that were attacked and threatened to be killed at the shows this season due to the snow ball effect following the abuse of our hardshipping system. By only allowing current directors I hope that those measuring will take more personal responsibility for their actions, due to the fact that they are elected officials and that they will be able to be held accountable for them.

Attacked? Threatened? Yikes!
default_no.gif
Makes you wonder about the stability of some.......

I would think that the ones being unethical, whether current or past directors, could be punished by way of suspending them for a year, or more, depending on the complaint and problem that occured- or how many violations. Same thing to the members that are attacking or threatening folks... that is not what I would call being a 'member in good standing'!! The registry certainly doesnt need people like that, but I understand they are everywhere.
default_wacko.png

Thanks for your input on this........ it's too bad that a few ruin it for everyone else.

This standing rule of only allowing current directors to inspect horses was put in place by a motion from one of our directors at the August 2009 B.O.D. teleconference meeting. It is my understanding it was to address an issue arising from one past director. My personal opinion is it could have been addressed by dealing with that one person but none the less it was passed. However it was voted at the Sunday B.O.D. meeting after the general membership meeting in February that inspection could be done by current or past directors if the director was an AMHA certified measurer. The Certified measurer training has been held a few times and many directors both current and present are certified and the office does have a list to verify. I talked to Pam, the registration department director at the office yesterday and she confirmed this. Dave Miller, AMHA Vice President was in the office and also confirmed this. So if it is a past director that holds a certified measurer card then they can inspect horses for hardship. I will state that I am personally in favor of discontinuing the hardship program, but am also strongly opposed to making it more of a “hardship” for people to use it as long as it is in place. We should either stop it or make it as readily available to everyone as we can. I use the words I and we here a lot because even though I am no longer on the B.O.D., AMHA is still member owned and it is every members association.

As for the comments made in this thread about the original standing rule of disallowing past directors being “legal” and/or “standing up to protest”. I don’t think it could have with stood a legal protest because it is in direct opposition to our rule book. The only way this could be passed was as “an emergency action” by the B.O.D. Dealing with the individual (s) that caused a problem would have made muster as an “emergency action” but the broad stroke of changing the entire rule and disallowing all past directors would have been a tuff sell. The one thing I am not clear on is can a current director still do the inspection even if they are not a certified measurer? That would seem to me more of an issue to me because being elected to the Board dose not automatically make someone proficient at measuring.

Thank you so much Ronnie for your information here. It's too bad that EVERYONE has to suffer due to one individual and especially since 'punishment measures' for that person were apparently not inflicted. This, in my opinion, is why people keep doing this stuff and continuing unethical behavior- what do they care? Nobody's going to do anything.

Well, it appears that I am out of luck totally and unless I pay someone's expenses to fly out here, and I am assuming cover their hotel, meals, and what all.... I just can't get it done. I, like many others, simply cannot afford all that. For a five minute inspection? Or I would have to haul her and her foal, when it is old enough, across the desert in the summer heat to meet someone (if I am lucky to be able to do that) to get it done, to turn around and drive home. The nearest director is 11 hours drive, and that is not hauling a load either.

The office did not mention to me that the person had to be a certified measurer, just a director.

This mare originally came from AMHA bloodlines, but a breeder was honest and when a mare in her background went over 34", they canceled the A papers, so this mare ended up just R. Does this make her any less deserving to join the registry than any other horse?

Since the registry does offer hardshipping, I think it should be feasible for members to use the option. This is not.

At the Sunday BOD meeting in Feb we did discuss that ALL of the BOD members that are measuring horses should be certified and it was also discussed that we will have a measuring clinic available at the June BOD meeting. That way all of the directors will have the opportunity to be certified.

As far as the need for DNA testing prior to the Inspection. The owner of the horse is required to DNA test the horse, send that info in when requesting hardship. You will be assigned an inspector...AMHA past BOD member that is certified or present BOD member. When the Person Inspects the horses and measures they also pull a hair sample for DNA testing.

This takes care of making absolutely sure that the horse measured is the horse that has been nominated for hardshipping.

I have no problem DNA'ing or anything else that needs done at all.... it is the ridiculous amount of money and hassle required to get this done, and the inconvenience to me and to the current directors.

I dont know why there are not certified inspectors in every state, to do this, whether a director or not. Especially when the books will be closing, I am sure there are a LOT of folks out there who would like get horses hardshipped, but are also not going to go through this to get it done.

It doesnt do any good for all the directors to be certified how to measure, if folks cannot get to them or have them 'shipped in' to do a five minute inspection. I will not risk the health and well being of a mare and young foal to be on the road for two to three days to get it done either.
default_no.gif

There has to be another option where folks can get their horses taken care of before it's too late.

I agree with you completely. I think the hardship fee, the DNA testing and trying to find a director is just ridiculous. They are losing a lot of money from me as well, and a few others I know of personally. Now I am confused about the DNA testing after reading the previous posts since I haven't done this before. I haven't hardshipped yet because it is so expensive, and I have to jump through hoops to find out about getting an inspector. I am still fairly new to this, so thankfully someone else has issues with this system.

I wonder if there would be anyone at the Western Regionals in Reno, NV this summer who can do measureing? I haven't yet called the AMHA office for more information simply because I didn't know if I could afford all of this. And I too am thinking of just forgetting it. My mare is due soon too, I wanted her hardshipped before foaling, but now that is out of the question.

I also know of many people who haven't transferred registration papers because they have to pay to be a member to do it. I know it has been discussed, but for crying out loud, the AMHA is losing alot of revenue because of that issue also. If they would just allow nonmembers to transfer, then require membership for anything further like other registries, they would generate a lot more money. Just my 2 cents.

I hear you rubyview..... If the directors have to be the inspectors, why arent they required then, as part of their job function, to show up in each state in their region twice or even just once a year, for a 'hardshipping' clinic? Since most districts have more than one director, it would not be like it was dumped all on one person.

You mean to tell me that one trip a year, say to Utah, where there are six horses needing to be hardshipped of various sexes, is not worth the registry footing the bill for a ticket for a director to go to that state and get those horses done? If they are pulling in say $4800 for two stallions and four mares in hardship fees, the registry can't afford to send the director there to do this one a year? Those horses would then be contributing in future offspring, grandoffspring, etc.... in registration papers and other things to the registry.

Why cant they have a 'hardshipping clinic' in the middle of each state once a year... hardshipping will be closing soon anyway, so it's not like the registry will have to do this forever. They cant help folks out by offering something like this that would BENEFIT the members??

This is not a discussion about whether folks agree with hardshipping or want the books closed. The hardship choice is offered to members at this time, but made pretty near impossible for folks to do it by the way it's set up.

Julie mentioned that once hardship paperwork is sent in, that an inspector would be 'assigned'. By whom and how/when is that person going to be available to inspect the horse and do their part? How much more is that going to cost the horse owner- or is that a surprize? I can't afford nor do I like those kind of surprizes. I work very hard and am on a limited income so can't just write a check for someone's travel expenses, especially when I have no idea how much and what I am required to cover for their trip or when they might arrive to do so. I cant send in several hundred dollars for a horses fees and then wonder how many more hundreds its going to cost me- what if it is more than I can afford and I end up losing my hardship fees also?

The fees I pd to have an inspector were minimal and he came from a long way away - very nice person and we worked something out beforehand. I had NO surprises.

I think you should consider presenting your idea about a hardshipping clinic to the office and go from there. I personally like the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you completely. I think the hardship fee, the DNA testing and trying to find a director is just ridiculous. They are losing a lot of money from me as well, and a few others I know of personally. Now I am confused about the DNA testing after reading the previous posts since I haven't done this before. I haven't hardshipped yet because it is so expensive, and I have to jump through hoops to find out about getting an inspector. I am still fairly new to this, so thankfully someone else has issues with this system.
I wonder if there would be anyone at the Western Regionals in Reno, NV this summer who can do measureing? I haven't yet called the AMHA office for more information simply because I didn't know if I could afford all of this. And I too am thinking of just forgetting it. My mare is due soon too, I wanted her hardshipped before foaling, but now that is out of the question.

I also know of many people who haven't transferred registration papers because they have to pay to be a member to do it. I know it has been discussed, but for crying out loud, the AMHA is losing alot of revenue because of that issue also. If they would just allow nonmembers to transfer, then require membership for anything further like other registries, they would generate a lot more money. Just my 2 cents.
Why don't you call the office and find out how to proceed and to answer your questions. They are more than willing to help you out and answer your questions. There is a list of directors on the AMHA website, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Find the one nearest you and contact them.

If your hardship case is assigned to someone after you have paid your hardship fees, how do you know if it's going to be minimal or what is going to occur? You dont even know who is coming to do it or what it's going to cost you. What if you decide it is more than you can pay? I'm sure you dont get your several hundred dollars of hardship fees back that you have already paid. Do they come out to the farm and do it? I am quite a drive from an airport- some are worse I'm sure but how does that work? If the inspector flies in, inspects the horse, then what? I am sure there is not a turnaround flight waiting for them.... so do you get stuck paying a hotel bill for them too? And meals? I dont have anyplace here to put someone up................ If staying in a hotel in town, how does the inspector get back to the airport? (there sure arent any hotels around here) Who pays for the transport to the airport again? I guess I dont get where my responsibility ends here in regards to getting my horse inspected... after all, I am already paying for this with a very high fee to begin with, which is a lot of profit for the registry and I need to know what it is going to cost me UP FRONT so I can decide to try to do it, or not.

Doesnt the hardship registration fee have to paid up front, before an inspector comes?

If your hardship case is assigned to someone after you have paid your hardship fees, how do you know if it's going to be minimal or what is going to occur? You dont even know who is coming to do it or what it's going to cost you. What if you decide it is more than you can pay? I'm sure you dont get your several hundred dollars of hardship fees back that you have already paid. Do they come out to the farm and do it? I am quite a drive from an airport- some are worse I'm sure but how does that work? If the inspector flies in, inspects the horse, then what? I am sure there is not a turnaround flight waiting for them.... so do you get stuck paying a hotel bill for them too? And meals? I dont have anyplace here to put someone up................ If staying in a hotel in town, how does the inspector get back to the airport? (there sure arent any hotels around here) Who pays for the transport to the airport again? I guess I dont get where my responsibility ends here in regards to getting my horse inspected... after all, I am already paying for this with a very high fee to begin with, which is a lot of profit for the registry and I need to know what it is going to cost me UP FRONT so I can decide to try to do it, or not.
Doesnt the hardship registration fee have to paid up front, before an inspector comes?
You need to call the office and ask all these questions. Typically, the director 'assigned' is the one closest to you. I spoke with the director who was going to come to my ranch way beforehand and we had everything worked out in advance and I knew precisely what I was going to have to pay. I had no surprises at all.

I still think you should talk to the office and present your good idea about a hardshipping clinic.

Laurie, that is a wonderful idea. And I agree with you on all counts. I can't call anyone until next week, but I would be very interested to hear anything anyone else finds out. You have presented some very interesting points, and ideas. And I have been wondering the same things. Thank you.

Sorry to highjack the post but i wanted to hard ship a Dels Cowboy grandaughter i have here...

but have been told you can no longer hardship a horse if you live outside the US, which i think is quite unfair .

She is a wonderfull mare and her first foal is due in July but i wont be able to show this horse in any AMHA classes in Europe...

I still have to pay full membership though !!!!!!!
default_sad.png

I too was going to try to get my horses (all except two are AMHR only) hardshipped into AMHA but I am not willing to spend $1200 per stallion and $600 per mare. . .which would bring me to a grand total of $4,800 not including DNA testing, etc. etc.

I am however, willing to spend, and am already saving up for, the $460 to get my AMHA only stallion into AMHR.

Personally I like AMHR better, but both registries have their pros and cons. Just wish AMHA wasn't so dang difficult and expensive!
default_no.gif

The annoying thing is i was told 18 months ago i could hardship this mare.

I had to wait until she was five years old and i would just have time before they closed the book it was one of the reason's i purchased her.....

Then when i emailed the AMHA last week to ask if i could do it sooner being they have brought forward the permanent paper age...(i was told i had to wait until she was five years old originally).

They said no not possible to hardship horses outside the US since 2007!!!!!!!! so why was i told otherwise.....very annoying.....i really love this mare so she will be staying but i may not of purchased her had i got the right answer in the first place...because although she will be breed to my AMHA stallions i wont be able to register her foals amha..

I am a member of the AMHA and i think this is wrong wrong wrong...

I cant hardship her with the AMHR unless she is AMHA registered ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
default_wacko.png
if anyone know's different please let me know thanks..

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got an email from yet another director who will be here next weekend and can inspect this mare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOT DOG!!!!!!!! I was originally told by someone here that he would not be here, however his wife contacted me via email and said he would be, so called AMHA back and getting this rolling!!!! I AM SO HAPPY I CAN GET THIS DONE!!!

I still think that an annual clinic would be very helpful to folks and will still suggest that in case it might be considered by them.

Sorry about your troubles overseas.... I didnt know that horses overseas could not be registered.

I'm so glad it is going to work out for you, Laurie! :)

I have always lucked out and found a director or past director who really wanted to help me out also and no one ever charged me very much either. I may have had to drive a few miles into Utah , or the one time I mentioned before to Laramie, but it was worth it.

I have a mare who turns 3 in July this year that I want to get done so I need to start looking and find out where I can get it done soon also.

Thanks for pursuing this and getting the word out about how we really need everyone to step up to make this easier for members of AMHA.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back