Need horse inspected for AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an R mare that I would like to get hardshipped AMHA and we have a show coming up the end of next week in Scottsdale... I had hoped that a past director or director would be at Touch of Class in Scottsdale that could inspect my mare the end of next week... does anyone know of an officer or past officer that will be here so I can get this done???

This is the only show of the entire year, and I am not paying for someone to come out here just for this from another state to get her registered A, but would sure like to have it done.

Does anyone have a list of directors or past directors or does anyone know if the qualify to do this and if they will be in Scottsdale the end of next week???!!! AUGH!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call AMHA office and talk to Marsha. She can tell you everything that you need to do. And who to call for inspection.

I too have an R mare that i want to hardship. But some things have kept me from having the funds to pay for it right now. Luckily she just turned 3 so I will still have 2 more years to get her done.

You will want to contact the office to begin this process. The DNA testing must be taken care of and the office will assign a director nearest you to do the inspection. Tell the office about the show and see if they can help you work something out.

You can find a list of directors on the AMHA web site.

Charlotte

I wonder why in the brand new 2010 rule book that I just got from AMHA on page 53 it still says.

"193B Inspection

1. The AMHA office will contact a current or former AMHA Regional director nearest applicant when possible. This director will arrange for and perform an inspection of the animal at a time mutually agreeable to both parties.

(Amended 02-09, effective 01-10) "

Susan O.

It was voted as a standing rule last year that only current directors are to inspect hardship applicants.

I did suggest maybe rewording it for this year to allow current and former directors who have been a director in the past ?? years inspect in order to enlarge the pool but that never went anywhere and I am no longer on the board to be able to push it. I'll send a note to Jim and suggest it again.

I had three hardshipped and was told I had to use a current director. I have a past director only 30 min. from me. I had to drive 5 1/2 hours one way to get my girls hardshipped! I guess I should have stomped my feet. Legally I think that I could have had the past director do it. I have a couple more to do this year. If it is still in the 2010 rule, you bet I am going to contest!!!!!!

That standing rule was put in place for very valid reasons and will stand up under a protest. I really can't say any more than that as I was not privy to what was going on but I fully believe it was necessary.

Jody - I under stand the reason for changing the rule. I believe it was done around June 09. It seems to me that it had plenty of time to have been printed into the 2010 rule book.

On the online hardship application it still says "inspected by a past or present AMHA director." I'm glad I came across this thread.

So, now the horse has to be at least three to be hardshipped? And could someone exlain the how's and why's of the DNA testing when applying for hardship?

I DID call AMHA this week and spoke with her in registration and they said a past or current director. We only have ONE past director in this state and no current. I cannot afford to pay the high hardship fee AND pay to have someone come to the state here to inspect and cannot haul this mare to another state either, so I guess hardshipping her A will be out of the question.

If a past director cannot do it, then I guess I am out of luck, and I dont know if he is even still here or capable of inspecting a horse nowadays.
default_no.gif

I wish a judge or someone like that could do it too...........

No, it could not be put into the rulebook as it was a standing rule. No permanent rule change proposal change was submitted and taken through the process to make it a rule in the book. It was decided that it would not be handled as a change since it wouldn't be eligible to be put into the book before hardshipping closes.

I also have a mare that needs to be hardshipped. Is there anyone in Ohio?

Well, I hate to say this, but A had some suggestions on ways to increase income and this hardshipping thing certainly is not 'user friendly' in my opinion- at all. I am willing to spend the big bucks for the fee, the DNA, etc.... but if I can't get anyone to inspect her, what's the point? Then the registry will not get an income for this and all the future offspring I plan to get from her. I have one already that I was going to register A and another due SOON.

mel, do you have a current director in Ohio? If not, then I guess you are out of luck as well...

There are 2 current directors in Ohio, Mike McCabe and Ray Ross.

Laurie, I'm really going to suggest that before you throw up your hands and give up on this you find out what directors are closest to you.

Go here: AMHA Regions

Find the Region you are in.

Click on it and the directors will be listed with their contact information. If you are at the edge of a region click on the region next to you and see what directors are there also. Sometimes a director from another state and region will be closer to you.

Contact a director or two and tell them your situation and what you are wanting to do. Ask them what it would cost for them to inspect your horse. You may be pleasantly surprised. Most directors will bend over backwards to help you. One horse I wanted to hardship the director had to make a 60 mile round trip (granted, not a great distance, but some mileage and time involved) All he asked for was that I pay for his polaroid film (before digital) I did give him a ham sandwich and some potato salad.

You never know. A director may have family living just a couple of miles from you and a visit planned there. You won't know if you don't try.

BUT the place to start with is the office. The whole process starts there and they will tell you what is involved.

Good luck!

Charlotte

Thanks Charlotte for the idea, but I am smack in the middle of Arizona and there is no one close to me. It would be 11 hours drive at LEAST, or an airline flight to get it done. I refuse to go through all that just to have an extra set of papers on a horse.
default_no.gif
All three directors from our region are in CA, the closest being 722 miles away. He is not coming to our show this year. The next closest director is in Region 13 and that person is in Kansas... forget that.

I was told I would have to pay the high hardship fee, AND the person's expenses to get them here and back for a few minutes to cover an inspection. It's ridiculous.

I have to agree with you Laurie, I live in the middle of nowhere too, and the closest director for my region is in California.

Well, I did hear back from 2 of the 3 current regional directors already, who were both very nice - neither are coming to this state and it was basicly put to me that I can haul this very pregnant mare to CA next month, or I can buy someone a plane ticket.

Nope, sorry, I will be doing neither so I guess she will stay AMHR only. I will not go through this fiasco and jump through hoops of fire and spend that kind of money on TOP of the extremely high fees to get this done. I just dont think it should be this difficult.

Questions have been asked in regards to pulling in more income and membership to the registry and this is certainly keeping a lot out. Other registries have state inspectors, which do not have to be board members (not just Mini breeds only) who are responsible for the inspecting jobs in their state. They make sure everything is correct.

So, I will not be paying for these high fees, nor on her filly that I kept from last year- nor on future offspring either. My show fees will go to the Other Registry, as this procedure is just not user friendly at all.

I am hearing from others.... both in AZ and other states in other districts, who are having the same problems. So I guess if you are lucky to live near a director or can afford travel expenses on top of high hardship fees to get a horse inspected, then those are the only ones that will be registered AMHA under that provision.

I have never had to hardship a horse AMHA, and probably never will again. I dont buy my horses because of what registry they are in, I buy them because I like the horse, so I guess if they happen to be R only, then that's fine, but I have hardshipped the 'other way' and it is NOTHING like this mess.

Thanks for letting us know what you found out, Laurie. I sure can understand your frustration.

I have actually hardshipped 5 little mares over the course of the last 18 years or so. And I lucked out on most of them in finding kind helpful directors at Utah shows so that I only had to take them about 130 miles or so. I am in Wyoming. In another case I did have to haul a horse over 300 miles to reach a director who also drove about 300 miles to meet me. And he spent the night there and only charged me $100 extra even with his food and gas and motel bill!! Some of them are truly nice people.

It is this "Current Director" thing as opposed to being able to use former directors, that is going to cause many problems for many people I think.

I'd really appreciate it if someone who knows the reason for this change can explain it. I have heard several say it is a good reason but as an AMHA member for many many years I'd sure like to know the reason.

Thanks,

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back