Need help with tall mini foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as if by magic 2

Reaction score
A friend mini mare (33") foaled yesterday with a 27" foal, but is sucking of the headcollar, she is to tall to go under her to find the milk bar.

To date she has been expressing and feeding the foal by hand, she has tried directing the foal, leaving it to get hungry, smearing milk over teats.

Can you suggest anything or anyone else experience this ?

Photobucket on strike but will get pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, I have no experience with this but what comes to mind is raising Momma up a bit. If you can find some kind of platform (or make one) that raises the mare up 6-8inches that might get baby started and once she know where dinner is she'll find a way to reach it. I'm thinking something like a goat milking stand but that might be too much height. Just a thought, good luck anyway.

I have no idea if this will work but with cows when we have a tall calf and a low bagged momma cow, while the mom is tied we just lay the baby down by folding their legs gently (not laying on their side but on their chest). We stay right there while they suck and then get them out when they are finished. The mom stands real still. Eventually the babies learn to bend their legs and stretch and reach under on their own after a couple of meals and getting some success at sucking and latching on, they seem more flexible and determined after a couple of days of assisted sucess... just a thought, I know there are tons of things that you can do with a cow that won't work on a horse but I wanted to share anyway, don't shoot me please.
default_new_shocked.gif

Hope you find a solution, best wishes.
default_smile.png

We had a 28" mule foal born to a 33" mare. He learned quick to bend way down and he cross-nursed. He'd reach across and suck on the opposite side nipple. He did it all on his own so I know this doesn't help you at all.

Good luck. Hope they figure something out soon.

Sit on ground.

Place foal in lap.

Attach foal to milk bar.

Once you have done that a couple of times the foal will latch on.

Feed foal from bottle in between times goes without saying.

Harvey came up with an idea for our January foal and we've used it with each foal this year. It has worked for us. Dip your finger in syrup (we just use pancake syrup) and put it in the foal's mouth to give it the taste of it, then dip or slather the mare's nipples in it. The maple syrup has a strong smell and it has really seemed to speed up the process of helping them find where to nurse for us!

UPDATE this morning, success
default_smile.png

It looks like nature has won out, as minimule said the foal found it's own way of getting down lower by splaying its front 2 legs and getting in low. Of course owner only realised this after she had bottle fed it and it decided to latch on in front of her to finish it's supper !

The mare was bought in foal apparenty to a 34" stallion
default_wacko.png
she foaled unassisted.

Thank you for all your ideas.

thats brilliant news lil,
default_wub.png

im sure you and and all involved are relieved......phew!

Latest posts

Back