Need Help looking for a Pinto in a history of Solids

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinisOutWest

Reaction score
I am looking for Pintos in a solid horse's pedigree, and what is hard, a Pinto is a horse with 2 square inches of white on him, not necessarily recognized as a Pinto. I am running into problems when it comes to the AMHA studbook online, they only show the A horses and I am needing more R and ASPC info as the bloodline goes back n back n back 10+ generations. Anybody have some time to help me? I do not have access to the AMHR/ ASPC look up. I am looking for history on Little Kings Supreme Dream and Spring Valley Chippawa Charm- looking for a Pinto or two in there as many generations we can go back to. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
As the owner of all pintos and a user of the AMHA stud book, I can tell you that you are not necessarily going to find pintos where you think they should be. Most of our PtHA registered pintos trace back to solid color horses, including Rowdy. There are lots and lots of genetic pintos - that can pass on the pinto pattern(s) - that are registered as solid.

so maybe I can just send his registration application in and see what happens to get him registerd as a Pinto? and another note- his baby he sired is a Pinto too.

So you have a pinto you want to get registered but the parents are both solid? PtHA likes to see a pinto parent but I can assure you there are PLENTY of cases where that just isn't going to happen!!! I think they will still hardship unknown X unknown, so you might point that out to them if they give you trouble.

ETA: Here is a well known example of a PtHA registered mini with 2 solid parents: Cross Country Call Me Awesome (Call Me Awesome in PtHA registry). I happened to remember him because he sired one of our pinto mares.

I have a stallion that is registered as a solid black because he doesn't have the required amount of white to qualify as a pinto, but he is genetically a pinto. He has a roany patch on his back and has sire many pinto foals out of solid mares...... I have had no trouble registering his foals in AMHA/AMHR or Pinto.

As long as you have a horse with enough white for pinto you do not need to show a pinto parent! I simply sent a copy of my amha papers and the application and was done. all you have to do is show he is registered as a pinto and also has pictures showing his white and that he has approved outcross papers already.

nope I have a solid with Pinto in him somewhere, because he and ALL his family have thrown Pintos. he would be considered a non breeding stock, but should qualify. would his dna report say something? he has a list of genetic markers?

Spring Valley Chippawa Charm - AMHA registered not registered in AMHR but on allbreedpedigree there is this information someone entered: Chippawa Charm -black AMHA by Komokos Bo Weavel (buckskin) and out of Flying M Ginger (listed as brown but AMHR registration says Bay as a 9 yr old)

Bo Weavel is by King Tut (black) out of Fair Lady (listed as black/brown but her registration says Silver Dapple so I'd go with that as she was registerd as a three yr old)

King Tut is by Tiny Tim out of Bay Queen - - no color listed and not in AMHR reg.

Flying M Ginger - out of Flying M Candy (listed as buckskin)

On www.allbreedpedigree.com the entries are made by John Q Public so some of them may not be correct. However, you could check there for Little kings supreme dream. Enter his name in the "horse" box and click "query". The pedigree should come up. You can visit each horse by clicking on their name and at the top if you see a tiny picture put your cursor over that and a picture should appear. It still hard to tell their genetic color by looking.

Good luck.

I am filling out everything today and sending it in. Maybe they have an easy way to figure it out. And I got a hold of the testing center and sending in hair samples too. Thanks for letting me know Tiny Tim was a Pinto. That will be a huge help to get things started.

I'd like to know who this turns out. From what I was told they are no classes for breeding stock mini pintos. I have one that I wanted to get registered since she has in on her paper all the pinto, but she is a creamelo with blue eyes. Can't see a color pattern on her.

So I wasn't sure of what it would benefit to get her registed with pinto.

nope I have a solid with Pinto in him somewhere, because he and ALL his family have thrown Pintos. he would be considered a non breeding stock, but should qualify. would his dna report say something? he has a list of genetic markers?
Just curious - why would you want to bother registering him as Pinto if he's not colored?

Latest posts

Back