Nationals vs Worlds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
We were lucky enough to attend AMHR Nationals, but only watched AMHA on line. There were a few things about each that I liked:

Announcer - Hands Down I liked Mark. The World's announcer was very precise and you could understand him clearly, but Mark had an outstanding knowledge of the people showing, and made it more personal. Plus Mark has a genuine enthusiasm about each class that was contagious!

Center Ring - Again AMHR takes it. They IMO had more color and sparkle

Placings - AMHA wins this one. I really liked placing 10th through 1st. That IMO gives the 3 -10th place horses more of a chance to shine. They are in center ring while the others are excused, and then are excused after the winner is announced. It's also more dramatic. Just about gave me heart attack with my boy's class!

Video - AMHR again. However, this is just my opinion watching the AMHA show on line versus looking at the videos at Nationals. At AMHR the video had a clear shot to the winner's circle. AMHA it was to the side, and I didn't get a good look at the winners.

Action Videos - I would have preferred that both AMHA and AMHR set the camera towards a corner rather than trying to follow a horse and then race back to pick up another. In the roadster classes it was almost too hard to watch.

Awards - AMHA Top Ten - 3-7- received a ribbon and a plaque. I liked that. They also seemed to have a lot of extras with each class - brushes, coats, gift certificates, etc.

Individual classes (jumping, obstacle, etc) AmhA runs those in a separate ring concurrently with other classes. sure saves a lot of time.

Champion of Champions/Supreme. Both very nice. The spot lights on AMHA spooked most of the horses. The AMHA Parade of champions, giving full names, owners, and pedigree was cool. would have been even better to say who was the handler.

Posted results - AMHR had them up almost immediately, plus were able to sort. Have to give in to them.

I can't comment about the AMHA staff, but I can about the AMHR folks - they were FANTASTIC!! Run off their feet but still had a smile and helpful attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that Mark was going to do the Worlds next year??? Is that correct. That would be awesome.

I too was only able to attend Nationals and just watch the World Show online.

Both announcer were very clear and concise however, Mark just add a flair of excitement to the mix, which of course adds to the excitement. I also like the fact that the owners and handlers are announced.

I think both center rings were very nice.

I personally do not care for the announcing in reverse at any show. I did like the fact that all of the top ten stayed in the ring for the presentation at the World Show and thought their trophies were really neat.

Video I also thought both companies did a great job in providing streaming video for us at home. I think this will only be perfected over the next few years.

Not actually being at the World Show I can't say how I would like the running of more than one ring.

It just takes an army of people to run one of these nationals shows and I do think that both the Nationals and the World Show do a great job of putting on these spectacular events.

Arlene

I didn't go to Nationals, but I went to Worlds this year.

Announcer - We can all agree that Mark is AWESOME. Where can I make my donation to the "Hire Mark Fund" for Worlds? On top of that, the music at Worlds was HIDEOUS!! Everything was either a country, polka, or disco version of a popular song.

Center Ring - Worlds was better than it has been in the past.

Placings - I don't like placing backwards (10th first) because it takes so much more time. Plus, I'm used to placing 1st first.

Video - There were several times in the driving classes I almost got motion sick. I agree, place the camera in the corner or one spot on the rail and keep it there!!

Awards - AMHA takes the cake. Although, at least AMHR finally started giving neck sashes. Never liked that the ribbons were like you'd get at any show. Plus, the little horse heads are tiny. I would rather pay $10-15 more a class and get a decent trophy/ribbon.

Separate Rings - What do I have to do to get this changed? As someone who was showing in both rings, it was too stressful. They're great about working with you, but I was still worried the whole day.

Vendors were better at Nationals. There wasn't hardly anyone at Worlds. It was kinda sad.

I also wish AMHR would add an AOTE division. But that's another subject...

I agree with a lot of what was said above ( I showed at both this year):

1) GET MARK!

2) AMHA awards are much nicer- but then the entry fees are much higher, too.

3) Center ring is nicer at Nationals.

4) I love living close to Will Rogers (25 miles!) but Tulsa is nicer. Plus, when it was raining we got wet because you can't get to the showring without going outside from most of the barns. The warmup ring is MUCH nicer at Tulsa. But the security was SUPER in Fort Worth. I saw police everywhere.... never saw security at Tulsa.

5) I really don't like the placing backwards. If they go first to tenth, you kinda have hope the whole time....
default_biggrin.png

Lucy

From my point of view, both were fantastic and a great display of what is really good about our industry. I would imagine all of us would change a few minor things about each, but all in all it made me proud to be a minor part of a great group of committed people.
default_wub.png

Thanks AMHR & AMHA for such wonderful shows. May they both continue to be as great in the coming years.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

"the music at Worlds was HIDEOUS!! Everything was either a country, polka, or disco version of a popular song. "

I so agree - can't beat COWS WITH GUNS!!!

I always prefer doing the placings from bottom to top.... it makes it more "special". The only time I ever reversed the order when I announced was as per the request of one specific judge who wanted it that way. So at the end of the show she had me announce the Grand Champion/Supreme/Best in Show - and then the Reserve in the midst of all the celebrations as an apparent afterthought. Which seemed like a bit of an anti-climactic bust... but to each his/her own.
default_yes.gif
And for some shows, it is tradition to do it one way or the other...

Any music is better than the lonely organist years ago who seemed to have a very limited repertoire... Surrey With The Fringe On Top, It's A Small World, Thank Heaven For Little Girls, Buttons & Bows... I did notice that for one of the final stallion classes at Worlds this year the music was Bad Boys - the theme from Cops...
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing the two is like comparing Godzilla to King Kong. You may a have a few radicals that think one, hands down could whoop the other but for the most part, most will agree the two are pretty even.

I will say the AOTE division in AMHA is very enticing. I talked to several who were giving up Nationals to do AOTE and Amateur in Fort Worth next year.

I only went to Nationals, all was very nice so I can't compare.

But I am no one to be saying a word anyway. Why? Because if I were asked to take over such an event, I'd say no pretty quick! I can't imagine all it takes, and for the most part it is done great!

So my only comment should be, thank you to those who do take it on!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back