Nasty little gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
Help! My 5 year old gelding has all of the sudden started chasing my pregnant mares. Not in a fun, nice way but in a very mean and aggressive way. I caught him at it today and this is the third time in a bout 10 days. Has this happened to any of you? I have taken him out and put him in with my big horses but he is not happy. I am concerned he is going to hurt my mares and cause them to abort. What do you think is going on ? Any ideas or suggestions? Donna :no:

First off get him out of the pasture with your big horses! A mare aborting will be the last of your worries when your gelding gets kicked in the head and dies!

Other then that, i'm of no help.
default_smile.png

But i know allot of people here will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
She smells different being pregnant and it is confusing him, I would separate them but keep them within sight if those are the only 2 you have.

No, I have 7 minis which are one stallion, 3 pregnant mares, 1 2 yo filly, 1 weaning colt, and my naughty gelding. The two big mares are not agressive to the minis and have shared pastures before. I hope he works this out as he is a nice driving horse. Donna

I'm sure he'll be fine but she doesn't smell right to him, like a stranger and he is defending his space...just separate them.

No, I have 7 minis which are one stallion, 3 pregnant mares, 1 2 yo filly, 1 weaning colt, and my naughty gelding. The two big mares are not agressive to the minis and have shared pastures before. I hope he works this out as he is a nice driving horse. Donna
Even if your mares are not agressive, all they have to be doing is feeling good and playing and just kick in the air. If he is in the wrong place at the wrong time that is all it will take. Big and little should never be penned together! :new_shocked:

I would seperate him off by himself or if he gets along with the 2 year old or the weanling then maybe they could be company for him if he is not nasty to them as well. One of those pregnant moms needed to whollop him a good one and set him straight but apparently they are in no mood for that.

To avoid confusion can you tell us how the horses are usually pastured- are they all in together???

I would NEVER put a mini in with a full sized horse, or even a large pony- that is just asking for trouble whether it has been done before or not. All it takes is one accident and one split second that cannot be reversed....

I too would probably seperate him with one other Mini that he does get along with.... and no, your pg. mares do not need that kind of stress.

I have to ask the same question as Rabbits did as well... ??

Back