Nanowrimo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crponies

Reaction score
I am determined to actually get the 50,000 words this year despite my dismal failures of past years' attempts. As of right now I have 9,315 so I am a bit behind my goal of 1,700 words a day. However, I have a three-day weekend so I can hopefully make up what for that plus some.

default_unsure.png

Sorry, I guess I should explain what it is in case you don't know. Nanowrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month which is November. You can sign up here: Nanowrimo The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel during this month.

Oh! Wow, that seems abitious, but really cool at the same time! Good luck. Will we get to read it?

I'm not sure about sharing it. I can be sort of shy about my writing. I guess I am afraid of people not liking it. I could share at least part though probably. Let me see if I can find a good snippet from what I already have...

Ok, here is a small selection from what I have:

The next morning she allowed herself to sleep in since it was a Saturday. She finally crawled out of bed at eight o'clock compared to her usual six o'clock. After a long, hot shower she poured herself a bowl of cereal and turned on the morning news. Ah, she loved Saturdays. She was rinsing her empty cereal bowl in the kitchen sink when her cell phone rang. She looked at the screen before opening it and was glad to see it was her friend Sarah.“Good morning, Sarah,” she greeted cheerfully.

“Hi, Elizabeth. How are you today?” Sarah answered with her usual exuberance.

“I am doing well. You know how much I enjoy my leisurely Saturday mornings.”

“Oh, yeah,” Sarah agreed. “I am right there with you on that one! However, now that we've had our relaxation, how about some activity?”

Elizabeth groaned a bit inwardly. She never knew what kind of activity Sarah might want to do next. Plus, she had been looking forward to an entire day to take it easy. “Well, that would depend on what the said activity is,” she said.

Sarah laughed at her friend's reluctance. “I was hoping you would accompany me to the mall. You know it has been a few weeks since we went, and I feel Christmas closing in on me already. I really need to get started shopping.”

“Alright, Sarah,” it was Elizabeth's turn to laugh. “I suppose I could handle a few hours at the mall with my favorite shopping buddy.”

“Okay, I'll be there in a jiffy to pick you up,” Sarah said and then hung up.

Elizabeth shook her head as she set the phone down. Sarah was such a little whirlwind at times, but then she thought that was probably good for her as she could be a bit too laid back and quiet. She had met Sarah the first time she visited her church after moving to the city. Elizabeth had been feeling a bit lost as she had entered the large sanctuary and had been thinking about the fact that she did not know a single soul there. She had slipped into a pew near the back, and Sarah must have seen the lost look on her face and taken pity on her. She had come and sat beside her and had held out her hand as a warm smile lit up her pixie face.

“Good morning,” she had greeted. “My name is Sarah Maxwell. Allow me to welcome you to First Baptist.”

Elizabeth had taken the offered hand. “Hello, Sarah,” she had not been able to help but smile in return. “It's nice to meet you. I am Elizabeth Golden.” The two women had hit it off immediately.

Elizabeth smiled now as she remembered that first meeting as she changed out of her lounging clothes into something more suitable for going out. She put on her favorite pair of blue jeans and a plum sweater before sweeping her hair up in a ponytail and dabbing on some lip gloss. As she slipped in her little gold hoop earrings, her mind went back to the night before and the necklace that Gregory, or rather his mother, had loaned to her. A shiver ran up her back as she remembered the feeling of his hands at the nape of her neck as he fastened it. Before she could get too far into her memories, she heard the buzz signaling that someone was at the door below wanting her attention.

She pushed the button on the intercom. “Hello,” she said. She was glad she had been able to get ready quickly as Sarah had been true to her promise to be there in a jiffy.

“Hi, Elizabeth. Are you ready?”

“You know I am, Sarah,” she laughed. “You keep trying to catch me unprepared, but you may as well give up. I'll be right down.” She grabbed her purse and jacket and headed out the door humming as she went. The problems of the past day seemed to fade into oblivion as she focused instead on the fun of going out with her friend. She decided to take the stairs this morning rather than wait for the elevator. It was frequently busy on Saturdays as people went out and came back in at all different hours. Besides, she remembered that large bowl of ice cream she had eaten last night along with a rather large dinner. It certainly would not hurt to burn a few extra calories. She went briskly down the six flights of stairs and stepped cheerfully into the lobby. She could see Sarah waiting for her and breezed through the door. “Hey,” she greeted her with a genuine smile.

I"ve got one but I haven't counted the words yet. That part is going to be frightful.

I take it you are writing yours out on paper, Marty? I have done that a few times and the counting is lots of fun.
default_rolleyes.gif
I would count the number on each page and write that number at the bottom of the page. This year I am doing mine on the computer so my program has a word counter built in. That makes it much easier! As an update, at this moment I have 14, 498 words. I am hoping to get to at least 17,000 before I go to bed but we shall see.
default_smile.png

I'm doing it, but I'm very behind! I have about 13,500 words only!

Latest posts

Back