Name Change

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
In the past how have you handled changing your name for your farm prefix and registration papers? Is it costly to send in all the paperwork to the registries? Does it confuse or slow paperwork? Do you put your former name in parentheses in order to fast track the paperwork? Have you ever had a challenge dealing with registries after a name change? Do you have them just make a note of it?

You cannot change a name of a horse with amha. Last I new, you could with amhr providing you had the breeders permission, the horse had no registry show record, AND the horse had no progeny.

Hope that helps!

Jill I believe she isn't talking about a horses name....her actual farm name and prefix.....

Ii don't know as I don't deal with amha that often so maybe someone else will chime in?

Jill I believe she isn't talking about a horses name....her actual farm name and prefix.....

Ii don't know as I don't deal with amha that often so maybe someone else will chime in?

You would probably have to request a new farm name with Registries. I'm sure there will be a fee. I don't think you can change the farm name on your horses already registered, but going forward you could use the new name.

For AMHR, according to the work order, you can change the registered name for $100 IF you are the breeder (or you have the breeder's written permission) AND there are no progeny and no show records involved.

I think she is talking about her own name, not a horses name or farm name.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about your name as the breeder on the paper work and on your farm prefix. When a person gets married or divorced, etc.

And you can ask me what I mean, I don't bite - hard
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The registries do often have some confusion after name changes. Sometimes they'll forget to change the name in their system and then send papers to someone else with your maiden name-it's happened to us! We just leave the papers the way they are until they go in for perm papers or other changes. Not a big deal. When you send stuff in you can add a little note to make things less confusing if you have different names on papers.

Couple months ago I thought about changing my farm name. I paid to have my farm name reserved with both associations a couple years ago. I had e-mailed both AMHA and AMHR and asked what I would have to do if I want to change the name and reserve a new one. They said I would have to fill out a farm reserve form and pay proper fees to each association ( I want to say its $200 but could be wrong, I cant remember now) even though I paid it the last time. I decided not to since I would have to repay the fees. Hope this helps. I don't know the answer to the other part of your question, but it would be best to just call both AMHA and AMHR and they could tell you what you need to do.

I got married three years ago and had all of my horses papers changed to my married name. I emailed the office so they had a headsup that I was sending my papers in to have my last name changed on them. I also had to send a copy of my marriage license, and I think something like $10 or $20 per horse

Thanks all. I think this will be helpful for anyone who is curious about this. My own experience is that it did take some back and forth. I will be married 8 years next Spring and I think that it is now aligned. I think all it really takes is one call to get it sorted through. They make a note on your file and there aren't too many troubles after that. I was interested in your ideas to make the process easier for the uninitiated.

Latest posts

Back