My turn, prayers needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
My JRT Rocky is at the vets. She vomited yesterday at 5 A.M. I didnt think much about it she always has her nose in something in the back yard (which is why she isn't allowed to go out to the barn) she will vomit once or twice and then be fine. She ate breakfast and was fine until afternoon she vomited her dinner at 4:30 and I gave her a little bit of yogurt up that came. She started panting off and on which she never does unless she is in pain. She also shakes, (she was a rescue and I think beaten) and she shakes when she thinks she is going to get in trouble for having a accident in the house(we have never even had to discipline her) She wanted to be in my lap all the time, she is usually content to sleep in her corner of the couch. We went to bed she usually likes to sleep under the covers she wanted to stay on top of the blankets. She vomited again at 11, drank some water acted more comfortable I took her temp. at 12 it was normal, she settled down to sleep. She woke me up at 2:30 with her face in mine, which usually means she wants something. I laid with her we slept off and on she got me up at 6. She was just not acting herself, when I get up they run to the laundry room where their food bowls are. She didnt even want to go in there. She went out and perked up when she saw the barn cat. Came in and laid at my feet looking very unhappy, she usually has her little nubby tail wagging all the time, she has kept it close to her rear. Called the vet as soon as the office opened and in we went. They are keeping her for the day doing tests, giving her IVs to hydrate her, she was slightly dehydrated, not surprising. They are thinking maybe pancreatitis. She is approx. 10 years old, and the nicest Jack I have ever been around (after all I am a Corgi person). To add more stress, I got the estimate on the vet bill for the day it will be 698.00. In these hard financial times that's a lot of money and they want it all when I pick her up, no down payment and no payments. Kathy

rocky.gif

Sorry your baby is sick.. They do get close to our hearts...

I hope everything turns out ok for her and you all...

Missy

So sorry to hear about your Rocky. (I adore JRT's!) I hope they find out immediately what's wrong, and that it won't be serious. (I'll bite my tongue on what they're charging you and their payment policy...... GRRRRR....)

Vet just called, she is doing much better, she is more alert. They got all the test results back its not pancreatitis, she has a slightly elevated white count. and her urine court is a little off as well. They are thinking some kind of infection from eating who knows what in the yard. They are starting her on antibiotics and a med to stop the vomiting and they want to treat her with some panacur in case it is giardia. I can pick her up at 5 if all continues to go well.

Thanks, Kathy

Sending prayers that she will continue to improve. It's so hard to see them hurting/not feeling well. Hugs

I'm so sorry your JRT is sick. I think that's awful that your vet won't do payments!! My vet is wonderful.....and seems a bit more reasonable too. Hope she's better soon!

oh kathy! so glad to hear she's doing better and hopefully it WAS something as simple as eating a no-no.

but wow, yeah, i would definitely ask for an itemized statement. that seems very excessive!

Sterling I'm not sure if they offer it. I know when my husbands company was bought out by Home Depot they offered insurance for pets but I didnt check into it because it didnt cover horses. Believe me Charlene I have a itemized statement. 175.00 x rays of her belly, board for the day 52.00, IV 47.00, Illness exam 44.00, CBC 155.00. It goes on and on total 753.00. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem paying the bill but how many people can afford to just write a check for that amount of money, believe me I couldn't a few years ago. This money came from my savings account which has money in it from my inheritance from when my Mom died. What happens if you don't have the money? Let the pet suffer?

I understand that it costs a lot to go to school to be a vet and how much it costs to run an office but in these hard times I would think they would be more willing to take payments. This used to be a VERY busy home town practice he did all animals, horses, cows, dog, cats, he stopped doing large animals a few years back and now has retired and left it to his associates. I have seen a major decline of cars in the parking lot. I know my horse vet lets you make payments. I think I might find a different vets office now.

But whats important is Rockys home and she seems to be doing well. She did tell the techs she was ready to come home by taking out her own IV. She was very tired and curled up on the bed and went to sleep.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, Kathy

Glad to hear that your Rocky is doing much better.

Kathy --

I'm happy she is home. I know how worried Harvey and I are when we have a pet at the vets / hospital and what a huge load off our shoulders it is when we can bring them home.

Jill

Awww Kathy, I'm so glad he's home.....they tend to do much better when they are in their own home sweet home, and in their own environment comfty cozy. Oh and just a side note....Care Credit is'nt pet insurance. It's like a credit card that usually gives you a full year free of finance charges etc... to pay off the med/vet bill in payments. A lot of vet offices in our state take it. When you change vets, see if your new office accepts it...it costs nothing to have the card and should you see yourself in a ER kind of situation with a big vet bill....it can help ease the burden of having to pay it all off in one lump sum. I hope little Rocky continues to feel better.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Very glad your little one is home and I'm sorry to hear about that bill, I would also try to find a different vet to work with. I had to find another vet for the same reason. The vet I use now is also very good to our local rescue so I also feel good about supporting him.

I'm glad to hear that your JRT is on the mend... my terriers send some tail wags and wiggles and licks along to help with her recovery!

I HATE the pay in full when you pick them up crap. What will they do - hold the dog for ransom if you cannot pay? I would have to make payments somehow and I have no idea how my vet would handle that.....
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back