My Silhouette crossed the rainbow bridge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teresa

Reaction score
Tuesday morning, Gary knew something was wrong with Silhouette and called out the vet. At first they thought it was colick and then realized she was in labor..........but hadn't dilated. The vet worked with her and she never dilated and she was in so much pain..........so Gary had to make the decision to put her to sleep.

Have any of you heard of this happening?

I am so sorry! Couldn't they do a ceserean section on her? So sorry for your double loss.

Oh no!
default_sad.png
I am so sorry T.
default_sad.png
And, yes, unfortunately I have had too much experience with that. In late term abortions. The labor starts very suddenly and there is not the lengthy build up which allows for the dilation. The foal is usually dead and not in the birth position also. Like trying to push a basket ball through an opening sized for a golf ball.
default_sad.png

I am so sorry.

Charlotte

I am so sorry for your loss! You have had your share and more lately it seems. (((hugs)))

I'm sorry for the loss of your mare and foal. How brave of you to make the decision to let her go and put her out of her suffering even though it's dreadful for you.

Lisa

I am so sorry for your loss
depresse.gif

We had a similar situation with our mare "Goldie" last year. She was the first of ours to go into labor and it sounds similar to what happened with your mare. Our vet was with us for hours on end through the night trying to save her and get that foal out but in the end, we had to also have our mare put to sleep. I know how crushing it feels.

Hoping you have something happy happen soon to help with the healing. The biggest help to me for healing was that our next mares to foal foaled within a week of loosing Goldie and her foal, and the new foals gave us something positive to focus on and be thankful for.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

So sorry for your loss. A caeserian would have been the only hope I suppose.

A friend is raising an orphan filly from a mare who the vet delivered the foal from her flank in "just seconds"after the mare passed.

I'm SO sorry, what a terrible thing for you to have gone through. I can't even imagine the pain you feel. {{{hugs}}}

So sorry for your loss of the mare and foal.
default_no.gif
<<hugs>>

A friend is raising an orphan filly from a mare who the vet delivered the foal from her flank in "just seconds"after the mare passed.
Your friend was one of the lucky few, usually by the time it has got to the point of the mare dying or being put down the foal has already passed.

Latest posts

Back