My rescue pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letsdunit

Reaction score
I rescued this little guy from the horse market. He is skin and bones and very weak.

I had to clip his coat as he was full with lice.

I am wandering if he is a dwarf. I find it a bit difficult to see as he is so skinny. He walkes like a duck and his back is not straight.

markt099.jpg

markt158.jpg

Oh my goodness. Bless you, bless you for taking this poor creature into your home!
default_cheekkiss.gif

He sure does look thin as you say. Please let us know if you need help/advice on feeding. But it looks like you have at least one other that appears well taken care of so you probably know what you're doing. Just offering.

As for him being a dwarf, it's hard to say from these pictures. He does have a significant roach to his back which is a key sign. Certainly, he has issues for sure. How are his feet? Do they grow straight? Does he track straight? Are his legs straight when viewed from front or behind? From the side they don't look too bad and nothing about them from these pics screams dwarf. Is he a gelding? If not, I'm sure you understand the need for him to focus on his recovery and no be worrying about girls.
default_blush.png
How are his teeth?

Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask if you need help. Thank you again for taking him in!
default_aktion033.gif

Bless your heart!

Check his bite to see if his top and bottom front teeth meet fairly evenly or not. It's hard to see his legs and hooves, but they look pretty normal from this angle, though you said he does waddle when he walks - maybe due to lack of farrier care? He does have a bit of a roached back, though. Others on this forum will be better able to tell you if he shows dwarf characteristics.

I'm sure you're thinking about this - if he's not gelded yet, once your vet says he can physically handle it, I'd get him gelded.

We had two new mares we bought last winter that had lice. We did a dose of ivermectin right away, followed by another about a month later. We also used a product from Shapely's called M-T-G. Stinky, oily stuff (wear gloves), but it worked wonders to soothe the skin and heal the scabs left by the lice.

Good luck to you! This little guy is lucky to be yours!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww bless you! I don't see dwarf, just a very malnourished little guy. His leg problems and roached back can both be attributed to poor nutrition for his growing body. Poor little guy-i am so happy he is in a good home now and I hope you post pictures of him in a few months when he has had time to grow a bit. I know you haven't asked, but just in case, alfalfa is recommended for rehabilitating starving horses and i'm sure would be especially beneficial for your little guy.

I have more ponies, also a dwarf mare. This little guy will become her friend once he is fit enough to be castrated, he is not with her untill he is a gelding.

So yes I know how to feed him, worm him and look after him but can always use advise.

What I am still a bit woried about is his skin. When in pinch it it stands up like with horses that dont drink enough water. He drinks enough so I dont know why it sticks up.

His teeth are okay, he does bump into things and doesnt seem to react to me when I wave my hands but that is getting a bit better now.

His back legs stick out, his hocks touch eachother. I have a little film with it but cant place it here.

Your little fellow does have some possible signs of dwarfism, but it's difficult to tell, since he's in such awful condition. Feed him several small meals a day of Alfalfa to get his weight up, but don't overfeed him. He could founder. Let him get back into condition slowly. I see you have firewood built up, so I presume it gets cold in your area. Get him a warm coat for the winter He's going to need it in his condition and especially now you have had to shave him.

Bravo to you, for taking in this little fellow. I'm sure he's going to look much better in a few months.

Keep us posted.

Lizzie

Bless your heart for taking in this little starving colt! He doesn't look like a dwarf to me, he just looks hungry! If you need help with him as far as how to feed him, just PM me anytime!

Bill

We live in Holland, I will see if we have Alfalfa.

He has a few coats, all dog coats as he is small.

markt147.jpg

His back legs, the mare on the background was also rescued.

markt001.jpg

I hate to guess,,,is he or isn't he. Important that he is now in a home that can provide care he needs to thrive!! Good for you!! Make sure to show updated pictures as he improves!!

As far as running into things or not seeing things: I "rescued" a horse one time that did this. He couldn't see the edge of gates, was the first I noticed. His pupils were dilated. He had some injuries and I noticed he coudl see fine after the round of antibiotic.

I asked the vet if infection could cause the pupils to be dilated but he could only say "maybe". Anyway, he was able to see fine after a couple of weeks.

Good luck!

Oh what a poor little chap - bless you for taking him in and saving his life.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I shouldn't worry too much about whether he is a dwarf at this stage - I dont think he is although he does show some possible characteristics, but they - his spine for one - could easily be the result of the treatment he has/hasn't received. His back legs could also straighten at lot once he gets better and builds up some muscles. So I think it is a wait and see!

Dont forget to worm him with a mild wormer at first - he could colic if his obvious worm load shifts all at once. I love his rug, he looks so snuggled up in it, bless him.

Do keep us posted with regular updates on his improvement as time progresses and also ask any questions if you have any - we may be able to help.

Wishing both you and him the best of luck - he's a very lucky little man!

It just is not relevant whether he is a dwarf or not- he has everything he could possibly need, so it is not going to affect anything!

I would give him Fenbendazole (Panacur) first, and I would give him a single dose for five days- that will get rid of all the horrible big white things that he most probably has, and also deal with anything living in the gut lining. After about a month or so you can give an Ivermectin and Praziquantel based wormer that will deal with anything left and Tapeworms, then he should really begin to pick up.

I am pretty sure you should be able to get Alfa A- that will help him a lot and it is already chopped so he will be easier to eat.

Bless you for getting him, I hope he was not too expensive.
default_yes.gif

Oh my gosh, that poor guy!! I think a lot of it is horrible (no) nutrition and lack of care. I dont particularly see dwarf, but terrible malnourishment, not trimming his feet and probably poor breeding. Very sad. I am sure he will bloom in your care- he will never be normal, but I do think many of his problems are from lack of care.

He was with his mum on the market, I think the worms ate all his nutrition.

He had phyranthel the day he came here, there were a lot of worms. Will get some Fenbendazol tomorrow.

He galopped yesterday, that was a big surprise !

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Great news - he must be feeling a lot better already.
default_yes.gif

Now I feel very sorry for his Mum, I hope she managed to find a good home somewhere poor girl.
default_no.gif

While roached back is a common feature of dwarfism, this is looking a lot like a total lack of muscling along the spine. The spine looks a lot like the shoulder blades sticking out - no nutrition, body has been feeding off itself, no muscle in the neck, back, sides, quarters, loins, forearms or gaskin. His back not being straight may be due to him being slightly stronger (more so before he was starved) on one side. As the deterioration progressed, the stronger side curved the spine. If this is the case, you will be able to straighten it with time - which will improve the waddle.

I agree that you should check the bite. If it is straight, your battle just moved to your side. If not straight, have a vet look at it - it too may be crooked because of muscle loss. Or the teeth may have become worn unevenly, adding to his problems. If they are simply unevenly worn, vet can likely fix. Otherwise, apart from the jaw having been broken, you may be battling dwarfism.

Really, when the horses are this far down, the best thing you can do is clip - it's the only way to get rid of and stay rid of lice, without constant bathing, which you really don't want to face him with at this point. Clipped, you can see sores, return of lice, lumps and bumps. Plus! you will be able to see skin improvement. Really "down" horses often suffer from apparent dehydration; their organs aren't working as well as they should. Your vet might want to do a blood panel, which while not cheap, may be cheaper in the long run. It will show you what sorts of things will help the horse, rather than experimenting. From the looks of his coat, I would guess Red Cell might help, possibly iodine and maybe folic acid. But I am not a vet, so talk to one before trying any of it. Dosing minis is tricky at best, as you likely know.

Best parts: all the photos, he's head down eating, you are keeping him warm, i will assume he has water always available. I frequently add a malt liquor to my skinny horses' food, but I am not sure how much I would give a mini. The beer tends to work because it relaxes various internal workings, allowing them to work better, and the malt is a natural weight gain food.

Good luck. While I bless your efforts, I am more inclined to hope there is a very special place for the person responsible for bringing any animal to this condition.

I rescued this little guy from the horse market. He is skin and bones and very weak.

I had to clip his coat as he was full with lice.

I am wandering if he is a dwarf. I find it a bit difficult to see as he is so skinny. He walkes like a duck and his back is not straight.

markt099.jpg

markt158.jpg

Have you tried to replace electrolytes?

I have more ponies, also a dwarf mare. This little guy will become her friend once he is fit enough to be castrated, he is not with her untill he is a gelding.

So yes I know how to feed him, worm him and look after him but can always use advise.

What I am still a bit woried about is his skin. When in pinch it it stands up like with horses that dont drink enough water. He drinks enough so I dont know why it sticks up.

His teeth are okay, he does bump into things and doesnt seem to react to me when I wave my hands but that is getting a bit better now.

His back legs stick out, his hocks touch eachother. I have a little film with it but cant place it here.

default_wub.png
Bless you for taking him! He looks darling in his little coat.

I agree with replacing electrolytes.

Latest posts

Back