My rescue mini mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight_minis

Reaction score
I just bought an AMHR mare. When the lady said she hadnt seen her in a few months i knew before i even got there I was going to take her home if i could. She's only 5 years old. On day one she had rain rot in her tail, mane, withers, neck, chest, forehead and under her belly. She had loose skin and was very grunt looking in the flank like she could have possibly lost the foal she was carrying or hadnt eatten in a while, feet were also in need of a trim, oh and mistrusting, head shy and hard to catch.

contessaday1.jpg

Day 23 Her flank has filled in now just need to get the rump a bit rounder. She's been wormed, had her feet trimmed, and 2 med baths. The rain rot is mostly gone. Maybe still a tad bit on her withers just needs one more bath and that should take care of it. She's still head shy but she will let me walk up to her and pet her. It will probably take a while for her to loose her tenseness and relax but she's way better than she was and improves everyday.

contessaday23.jpg

I gave her the name of Contessa. I think it suits her. She has nice movement and could possibly be homoz. pinto. She's kinda big boned. Reminds me of a QH with out the huge rump. Thats okey i have a refined little stallion to breed her to. I think they would be dinomite together. You wouldnt believe her pedigree. She has Boones little Andy, Shadow Oaks Paul Bunyon, and Orion Light Vant hunttest. Plus many many more. Very heavy pinto pedigree. I figure i'll have her cultured to make sure she's clean and then maybe next spring breed her and see what she throws and then go from there. If I decide to rehome her i will do my best to make sure she doesnt end up forgotten and neglected again. If anyone wants to rescue some horses pm me. The lady had various breeds of horses of all ages and most were extremely underweight:(.

She is a lovely little mare, but I would beg you to not breed her.

She has several flaws that just don't need to be re-produced, and has already had a hard life- Color is just not a great reason to breed a mare that has already had a rough life.

Let her be fat and happy and learn to trust- She'll earn her keep in the love she gives you!

That is a wonderful thing you did by rescueing her but I too agree with "Sun Runner Stables" please don't breed her, if you want mini there are plenty of others that need rescueing
default_no.gif

Back