My "Open" Mare is Now Under Camera

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

We've had a nightmare of a time getting a proper foaling stall ready for Butter. It's just been one thing after another. I'll list them briefly...

I didn't think she was pregnant. She ultrasounded open.

I moved to a place that isn't set up for pregnant mares and foaling.

I didn't think she was pregnant. It was over TWO years!

I ordered a shed online. It's going to take 4 weeks for delivery. It finally arrives and the driver won't unload it because we don't have a loading dock!
default_new_shocked.gif
what??? Whose house has a loading dock??? Needless to say we asked for a refund...after I told him to his face he was a jerk.
default_new_shocked.gif
I've never said anything like that in my life.

Then...I didn't think she was pregnant. It's a false pregnancy, right? There's really not a baby in there.

Did I mention there's no place here to foal out a mare?
default_wacko.png

Plus, she's not even pregnant.
default_wink.png

OK, get some combo panel, t-posts, tarps, zip ties, screenings and let's go!
default_aktion033.gif

Install the camera and heat lamp and viola! My open mare is under camera!
default_biggrin.png

butter20110313.jpg

default_new_rofl.gif

So, what we have now is a 10 x 11 foaling "stall" with an attached 28' x 18' run. I've got a gate across the "door" so I can keep her under camera when I'm not at home. It's by no means perfect and there are things I'm concerned about as far as safety - blowing away in a terrible wind storm, the foal or even the mare getting a hoof stuck under the combo panel and the ground, etc. But we tried to do as much as we could to make it safe and avoid as many issues as possible.

Seriously, she has started to develop an udder, she's softening a tad in the rear but based on my experience with her she's got a couple of weeks to go. I do not have the last date she was possibly with the stallion so I'm going on what she looks/acts like. I'll start testing her milk as she gets more.

I would say she is rather large to be open
biggrin.gif
In my small experience I have found that"open" mares give the prettiest foals with the easiest births. I have found a couple waiting for me in the field in the morning. The first time it happened Hubby rang me (he drives past the field at 6.00am) when he told me there was a foal in the field all alone I told him to go to .. and I put the phone down. ( I am not good for jokes at 6.00) it happened to be the 1st of April. He had to come back home and tell me that he was serious.

She just MIGHT be having a baby
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
Loved your commentary
default_aktion033.gif

Maybe the delivery guy could wait around a bit until the "loading dock" arrived. Funny, they were ordered at the same time
default_laugh.png
since you KNEW that you would need one.................and who unloads the loading dock????

Oh my. For an open mare she is rather 'round' looking. I bet your structure will be just fine and I'll wish for no wind for you this spring.

Charlotte

Tell the truth,It's the watermelon seeds you've been feeding her!

Hope you have a happy healthy bouncing bundle (and a happy healthy mama too).

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and Butter (and the stall!). Wish I could loan your our shed that was delivered last fall without us having a loading dock!

ETA: When I had a mare (big horse) that "couldn't possibly be pregnant" she foaled outside the night before the vet was going to pregnancy check her and she had a nice healthy MULE. I don't think that is possible here though!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Butter and her magic foal!!!! Can't wait to see what you get for waiting for over two years!!!!

Was thinking about you and Butter last night and wondering if you had a foal or not. LOL

I really like the "watermelon seeds" theory
default_laugh.png
!!!!

But I am sure everything will be fine. At least you have her under camera and a shelter. keep us posted.

Fingers crossed that weather will hold but at least you are watching her. Best wishes

This what came out of my virgin maiden.

Latest posts

Back