My Official 'Lurker Coming Out Of The Closet' Post

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetVetCanuck

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been reading and learning (posting a bit) and thought it was about time I introduced myself to the group.

I'm a retired veterinarian in Northern Ontario, Canada. I was forced to retire early after a horse related head injury in 2004. I've had facial reconstructive surgery and been through brain injury rehabilitation and am doing much better. At the time of my accident I was breeding ATA registered Trakehners, but had to place them after six months, when it became obvious that I wasn't going to return to normal function as quickly as I had hoped. I'm doing much better now, but have been left with permanent vision and balance deficits. I am no longer able to ride.

I didn't go out to my own barn for years - it was too depressing. Then I got a few alpacas as a trial (went very well, but too much like sheep) and have now moved up to two very small ponies that my six year old rides. With encouragement from his instructor, who's become a great friend of mine, I've decided to look for a VSE/pony/small horse to drive!

I'm a lurker on many, many lists & forums, as I'm not sure what would best suit me. I worked with standardbreds for ten years while in school, so have some driving related experience and I've been going out to a local farm to drive the minis as often as I can. They're very personable, quite cute, ***and would be my first choice***, but my son's riding instructor (a dressage rider with some previous driving experience in Europe), as well as a very reputable Canadian driving trainer that I have been in contact with, both think I might 'outgrow' a VSE, as at my weight I'd probably have to stick to flat ground with a mini. I told my son's instructor I'd cut off a leg to make 150lb, but she doesn't believe me
biggrin.gif

Since this is a miniature horse driving group, I would love your honest opinions about how much they truly can pull - at a CDE type level, just in case I should ever get that far! (My normal adult weight is approx 185lbs. I'm currently 200+ but I have been taken off most of my meds that are known to cause weight gain, so I am working at getting back to my previous 'normal'. Obviously I will never be small!
sad.gif
)

I'm interested in driven dressage, cones/obstacles, driving around my neighbours 180 acres of trails, local fairs & parades, going out to get the mail, etc. I'm thinking that totally trained will end up suiting me better then off the track or broke to drive. I had a line on a beautiful, retired CDE horse, but the owner didn't think he'd be suitable for the off farm stuff (not sure why, but I always believe owners when they warn you about something - so few are willing to pass up a sale in my area...), so had to pass that one up... Gonna keep looking though!

Very much enjoying the forum!

Thanks for reading

smile.gif
Cathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawk (all 33.5" of him) has had no problems being competitive in CDE while pulling my fat butt around - he's far more handicapped by my stupid mistakes! ;-) I'd love to lose a bunch of weight to make it easier for him - but I also love food.
default_laugh.png

I think if you stick with a large "A" or a "B" horse, you will do spelendidly!
default_biggrin.png

The most important thing to do is to have the cart correctly balanced, and learn how to use your body to make it easiest for your horse. You have ridden, so you understand I am sure. I have seen many heavy riders ride much lighter in the saddle than some people half their weight...even in a cart, it is all about balance.

Welcome to the world of the most awesome equines... Before I had my first minis, I didn't know how much HEART could go into such a small package.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

My husband is 6'2" and about 200 (I think). Our 37" gelding has no problem pulling him around. Alax is a big framed mini, though. Chad has shown him in 2 CDEs and also drives him as wheeler in our tandem with our 8 yr. old son as groom in the cart, too.

Hickory_Knoll_09_016resize.jpg

Stay away from the little peanut horses. Bigger is better!
laugh.gif

Myrna

I have been worried about my mini gelding being able to pull me and he can do it....Conditioning of the mini has given me somethign other to focus on and lose weight besides for health reasons......and it is coming off slowly but it is coming off.....it is amazing how the mini/VSE's can be competitive in the driving events......I have only done a reecreational drive but played with cones/obstacles and hope this will keep my mind yhoung figuring out the courses/tests. but yes they can pull and it seems the more we go the more he wants to go!

Balancing the cart and correct harness fit will also help alot.

I would stay with a B mini, I have 2 this size, and they no trouble pulling. My gelding has a bit more bone to him than my mare. My mare can go all day long. They have lots of go its amazing how much stamina minis have.

I recently bought a larger (not reg) pony she is about 42" and has done some CDE .

If you are only doing the CDE and not the breed shows , lots of nice unreg. minis and ponies out there.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Hello again! Welcome to Lil Beginnings forum! You will find a world of help on here and lots of nice people. I agree with everyone else - B Minis are AWESOME!!!

Hi Cathy!
default_saludando.gif

I'm very sorry for all you've been through! But I'm glad you're here
default_yes.gif

I think you'd have a blast with a B sized mini! Whatever you do, I know you'll have fun!

Robin

Hi, and may I add my welcome to the LB Forum!

My current(and likely,'forevermore', as I am too old to do much by dieting!)weight is just about what you listed as your 'normal adult weight'.I began with A sized minis, now have 6 minis, 5 of whom drive .Several years ago I got smarter and got a large B sized mini to use as my 'primary' driving horse...that is, for group drives,CDE-type events(not likely to be able to travel far, and/or afford the 'real' thing anymore), and the like...while still driving an A sized pair, and my A's single(and with the LIGHTEST WEIGHT well-built/balanced/comfortable-to-ride-in cart I can find...something I consider VERY important, esp. for A-sized minis!)...just around the neighborhood/in parades, etc...IOW,the 'easier' stuff!

So, I'd recommend a large-end B sized horse, of good substantial bone and structure. As noted, they don't HAVE to be registered, if you are not looking to breed show. Do be aware, though, of the importance of staying within the VSE height limits as set by the ADS...that is, not over 39" at the top of the withers...because if the horse is over that, they will be considered a 'small pony' and will require a groom/navigator on board for all aspects of a CDE, even if driving a single. And, should you decide to start w/ a 'pony' by definition instead of a VSE, I'd recommend moving on up a hand or two above the VSE height.

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses! They will capture your heart!

Margo--driving miniatures since 1985

Well if one can't pull you around perhaps a team. LOL Hey everyone says they are like potato chips, can't have just one. I'm heavy too and hope that the filly I'm getting can haul my fat butt around. But if not then perhaps two would be better?
default_wink.png

I would not be as quick to sell the larger A size horses so short.
default_rolleyes.gif
This is a picture of a 33 1/2 inch horse, Bandito. I have competed with him in several CDE. He has no problems handling the weight.
Bandito.jpg

You need to find a horse that fits you. I would agree that those under 32 inches may not be as suited to your needs as the larger sizes. Most miniature horses should be able to handle about 1 1/2 to 2 times their own weight under most circumstances. That means a 200lb horse should be able to pull up to 400 lbs. If you have a great deal of hills, mud, or sand that you will be driving over daily , them by all means cut back on the weight or go for the larger horse.

Well if one can't pull you around perhaps a team. ...perhaps two would be better?
wink.gif
Well, maybe, but from a practical standpoint, a pair isn't always more powerful. First, you need a four-wheeled vehicle for a pair, as a two-wheeled cart with a pair is not safe and actually against driving show rules (because it is not safe). A four-wheeler is a heavier vehicle. And since there are two horses, the turnout needs a groom, which adds extra weight. I suppose if you were just driving at home, you might be able to get away without having a groom, but you have to have one at the driving shows (again, because of safety. It's hard for one person to handle two horses by themselves, especially in a wreck.)

Myrna (I know, who's always "busting the bubble" with practicality and rules....
rolleyes.gif
)

Most miniature horses should be able to handle about 1 1/2 to 2 times their own weight under most circumstances. That means a 200lb horse should be able to pull up to 400 lbs.
Please note this ratio pretty much only applies to miniatures and some ponies, as was said above. Big horse drivers aim for 70-80% of the horse's weight. Doubling an average big horse's weight would be overdoing it.

Go Mini Power!
aktion033.gif

Myrna

Thanks. Been in horses 45 years but have little knowledge of driving and minis. That is good to know, happy that its doubtful that the filly will have little trouble pulling my lard butt around. LOL I'm not sure but I think she is already 34 inches tall at 2.

Latest posts

Back