My New Driving Mini Got Injured Today!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazee bout Kasspur

Reaction score
Today I had my 5 yr old mini stud tethered for grazing. He likes to roll a lot and was in the process of taking a dust bath. Neighbor's dog (pita blue heeler cross) gets overly excited whenever my horses roll...most of them just ignore him. Lil Black hates this dog, however, so when he finished his roll he charged the dog. When he hit the end of the rope the snap broke and Lil Black had so much momentum going that he took a nosedive. I noticed blood on his lip and upon further investigation found he had abrasions to his upper gum. My question is has he broken off his front two teeth? I honestly cannot tell for sure.

Pics enclosed.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

What that looks like to me is that he knocked out his baby teeth but those should have been out already. The teeth that are there now look like they are set in farther than normal though so maybe he had his baby teeth and his permanent teeth.

sorry about your accident ...I hope your horse recovers mentally and physically. It looks like the 2 front teeth poped right out on impact. They could have been ready to come out and this mishap helped. My gut feeling is that the two behind will move into position now that there is available space. My mini had horrible teeth , I was very worried, then one day I checked them, and they were gone , and replced with 2 beautiful front teeth ..I owe the tooth ferry. The ones in back are probably positioned there because ther baby teeth were taking up the space. Keep an eye on things , I wouldnt be surprized if they just fall into place in the next month. (just my feeling)

My bet is the teeth had already fell out and hes teething. Probably just didnt notice it until he nose dived

My poor neighbor thought her guy was hurt and he looked just like this. He was just shedding baby teeth

If he is 5, he is probably bringing in a set of teeth. Give him a month - they will probably pull forward and be fine.

The first horse I had that lost her teeth put me in a panic also! I even called AMHA to see if she could be shown missing her front teeth. LOL

If the horse is a full five years old, his central incisors, both top and bottom,'should be' fully in place. This appears to be the case with the bottom ones(notice that the centrals and middles are clearly larger, 'wider', permanent teeth-which have MUCH more of a 'root', though you can't 'see' that part- -while the corner incisors, both upper and lower, appear to still be baby teeth, and 'should be' being shed SOON!) Minis shed their 'baby' teeth later, in general, than fullsized horses, but it shouldn't be TOO delayed, else you have problems.

I'd bet on one of two things...that his upper central 'baby teeth' may not have previously been shed, and were 'knocked out' by the fall...the abraded look of the gums around the barely erupted two upper central teeth is a big clue that a tooth has recently come out of that location in the gum. If so, the fall may have actually been a blessing, enabling the permanent teeth that were 'stuck' behind the unshed baby teeth to now go ahead and come in as they should! A horse 'should' shed his central baby teeth FIRST, so this horse would have been quite a bit 'behind' on those upper ones, as he's clearly already shed, AND, 'grown in', the lower centrals and both upper and lower middles.

It is always a good idea to check in a young horse's mouth now and then, to check if it is 'on schedule' for the shedding of the baby teeth, both incisors AND molars(it may take the vet to check the molars, as they are so far back in the jaw, and very hard for the layman to be able to tell!)

The other possibility, IMO, is that what you see are his permanent central incisors, but they were 'driven back into' his gums by the fall. This I think is unlikely, but could be a possibility. Just keep an eye on him, see what happens--if he had 'baby teeth' that were knocked out by the fall, the 'underlying' permanent teeth now visible should be growing into their proper place. If you have any doubts, I'd suggest consulting your vet.

Margo

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at the pics and give me some input. I do recall seeing LB bleeding from the mouth once I caught him. A chain of events took place immediately after his tumble...(the rest of the story
default_new_shocked.gif
)... since LB was loose he and the mini-jack got into a knock down drag out fight which took them all over my back pasture (where the biggies are) this went on for almost 30 minutes. Finally due to heat and exhaustion they were played out and I was able to separate them.

The mini donk was covered with blood spots, but no real injuries. These must have been from Lil Black's attempts to bite. Perhaps that is when he lost the teeth? Biting down hard and pulling out?

All I could think when he fell was...OW that HAD to HURT! Poor lil guy might need a chiro treatment after this and getting his head caught two weeks ago.
default_sad.png

Thanks again.
default_saludando.gif

i bet he lost them during hte fight.. i've had young studs do that.

I think your five year old is a three year old...if you look at the little teeth in the corner of his mouth, those are his five year old teeth, that last set to be changed, and those are teeny tiny teeth, baby teeth in fact.

Tethering, as you have just now found out, is actually not such a good idea.....after all, what would have happened if the snap and not broken???

I never leave my animals unattended while they are tethered. And if the snap had not broken...then the whole scenario would never have happened!

He is five. I have his paperwork and even his transportation papers. Shipped from Ohio (raised and trained by the Amish) to Texas (YeeHaw).

Well, Of Course!!! And horses DO break snaps while being tied up short as well and injure the neck, or get hung up and either suffocate or injured to some other area of their anatomy such as limbs, or go through fences or get stuck in fences, cut on sharp or dull objects, receive injury during trailering, etc etc. The horse IS an accident waiting to happen.

That's not the point of this thread. You're hijacking and trying to make me appear irresponsible and I won't get in to a debate. But there are those that like to do that. I think it's called "Troll". My question was about what looked like an injury to the front teeth, whether or not they may have been forced out or broken off. THAT is what I posted about and Thank You to THOSE folks that answered it. What difference does it make how long I've had him or when he was transported or what age You think he is at? That IMO is irrelevant.

I think you will find that the folks you are accusing of being "Trolls" are simply trying to be helpful. I cannot think of hardly a post in all my years here, that has stayed perfectly on-topic all the way through.
default_wink.png

Everyone here has a story, some good, some bad...and to share that story, and the knowledge gained from it can be invaluable. We are so lucky to have people willing to share them, and have all this information here at our fingertips when we need it.

Yes, you are right..."The horse IS an accident waiting to happen.", but it is our responsibility to do all we can, as their keepers, to insure they are as safe as we can possibly make them.

Latest posts

Back