My Mom died unexpectedly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
I've been lurking about lately but just haven't had the heart to do any posting. I feel like I need to tell about my Mom's death, maybe it will release some of this pain...... this may be long....

My Mom, who was only 65 years old, was hospitalized last month with a rare disease, Aplastic Anemia, in which the bone marrow completely quits making blood. The first sign of this disease was multiple bruises all over her body, and red rash-like areas that were actually bleeding areas as well. Mom had just spent two weeks staying with me less than a month before this, and she was healthy and doing just fine. At first she was hospitalized in Rexburg, Idaho (she lived in western Wyoming) and then when she was diagnosed, she was flown to the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City, Utah, which is a world-class training and research hospital. Luckily that is only about an hour and a half drive one-way for me, so I was driving there every day to be with her and take care of her. Mom was getting whole blood transfusions at least every other day, and platelet transfusions as well, to help the blood clotting factor. The doctors warned us that she was a risk for bleeding to death since she had so little platelets in her body. They treated her with drugs designed to get the bone marrow producing blood again, though it was a slow process, and it was working. Mom's blood counts were coming up gradually. She was always exhausted and slept a lot, and then the drugs caused her mouth and throat to develop huge open canker-like sores, and she found it painful to eat or drink. The doctors had to keep an IV going in her to keep her from dehydrating, and though they gave her Oxycodone for the pain, and a numbing liquid for her mouth and throat, the most she was able to get down for the last several days were milkshakes with Ensure in them. Still, things were looking up for her bone marrow, and the doctors told us that she was "turning the corner" to recovery. My wonderful Stepdad had had to work (his job wouldn't let him take time off, even unpaid time, and they lived at least a four-hour drive away) finally was able to come for a weekend, and my husband and younger daughter and I went to Wendover, Nevada for a concert for the weekend. We stayed overnight there in a hotel, and the next morning right after ordering breakfast, my phone beeped with a voice mail. I listened to it and it was from my Stepdad (I call him "Pa") and he was crying, saying that Mom had taken a turn for the worst. I called him back and he said that Mom had suddenly had a severe headache, began vomiting blood, and then suddenly was comatose. We cancelled our breakfast order and FLEW back to Salt Lake City, my husband driving and passing everything, while I cried. When we got to the hospital, Mom was in Intensive Care, on a respirator, and Pa was a wreck. The doctors told us that she'd had a bleed in her brain, which was massive, and her brain had swelled. They tried to relieve some of the pressure with a tube but they couldn't operate or she would bleed to death. They told us that if she didn't have a very dramatic improvement within the next hour or so, there was no hope (though they of course say it somewhat differently.) Mom was brain dead. We called my sister and brother, and the rest of the family, and cried a LOT. I couldn't believe it, and still have trouble accepting it. After a full day of standing around Mom's bedside, once the family was all there, we talked to the doctors again and decided to take Mom off the respirator. There was no hope of her ever breathing on her own, and her brain function was gone. She has always told all of us that she didn't want to be kept alive by machines so the decision was surprisingly not difficult to come to, though the result was extremely difficult. My Mom, one of the best friends I've had in my entire life, is dead. This happened on July 22nd and the funeral is over, but still I cry.

I have the greatest respect for those of you who have lost loved ones, especially those who have lost spouses or children; I can't imagine the pain and feelings of loss that you endure. Losing my Mom, which is in the "natural way of things" is exceedingly hard. I'm sure that part of this is losing her so fast and unexpectedly--- her mother lived into her nineties and I thought that we would have many years of having my Mom around.

Anyway, I am sorry that this is so long. I just needed to share this. I've never lost someone so close to me before, and if anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it. I miss Mom so much..... thanks

I'm so sorry. You are in my prayers. I can't imagine the pain you are in.

Hugs to you.....

Kim

I am so sorry for your loss. It is normal how you feel. Let the pain out. I lost my mom a yr and a half ago. It does hurt and I miss her so much. My mom died a painful death of colon cancer. I miss her so much. I am glad you have family use thier strength. You are a lot strong then you think. Please keep us posted. You and y our family are in our prayers.

Oh, Lori!

Reading your post breaks my heart.

I wish there was something I knew to say or do that could help.

My parents are the same age just about, and are my best friends.

My heart goes out to you more than I can put into words.

Jill

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine your pain. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family.

Carol

Oh my god Lori, I am SO SORRY!!!! I wondered where you were lately and was going to email you from home!!

That is horrible!!! Hugs to you and ALL your family! I lost Dad a few years ago and Mom four years after that.. you NEVER stop missing them ever and I still cry sometimes. Nothing will ever fill the gap.

I just can't send the right words to you, and there is nothing that will make you feel better. All I can say is that it is a VERY slow healing process and I didnt do well for over a year after losing each one- I have no photos in my house that I can see even today- it hurts too much and they would just make me sad.

Try to stay busy, that helps some. Call me if you want/need to.

i, too, am so sorry for your loss. my dad has been gone 10 years and i still miss him although time has helped to heal. you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh Lori, so very sorry for your loss. I am praying for a peaceful heart for you and your family.

Lyn

:no: my heart pours out to you. we will be praying for you.
default_pray.gif
:

so sorry for your loss

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Our deepest condolences to you and your family. (((hugs))) to you. Corinne

Lori,

First, my deepest condolensces to you and your family. (((hugs)))

A loss such as yours is never easy and takes much joy out of one's life. Time will help to ease your pain. Lots and lots of time...

Now, with that said, there are some things you can do to help. Often the directors of funeral homes know of support groups that you can attend. These people often just get together for lunch or what ever and they reminesce about those that they loved. They have advice as they all struggle with their losses. There you won't feel alone.

Next, keep in mind what your mom would want you to be doing. Remember that she is still in your life. She is but a thought away and is watching over you. Now ask yourself.... Would mom approve of the way you are dealing with this? Would she want you sad and hopeless acting or would she want you to continue on with your life and live happy? With the love that she has shown you, I would bet the farm that she would want you happy.

And the rest of your family... They need you to deal with the loss in a healthy manner. They are hurting also and they need you there for them just like you need them to be there for you. Take comfort in your family. Take comfort in doing things that you and your mom enjoyed. Cherish the memories and look to the future.

Yes it is VERY hard and it takes time to learn to accept what happened. I won't lie... You will miss her dearly every day. But remember that the reason it is so is because she loved you so much. She taught you to be a strong loving woman.

And a final thought... You got the chance to tell her how much you loved her. Yes she was very ill, but you were able to have that little time to share with each other. Cherish that.

I could only wish that I could have told my grandmother that I loved as a second mom how much I loved her before she suddenly passed away.

(((Hugs))) and please post when ever you feel the need. Remember, the forum is here for you.

I am so very sorry. Losing a beloved parent is very painful.

I am so very sorry for your loss....my grandma died on July 19th...she was 89, and well, her quality of life had been very poor for the last few years (she had very bad alzheimers and didn't know who we were). It was upsetting that she passed but she went suddenly without pain....

I just can't imagine the pain you are in...and I hope posting about it has helped.

please know we are all here for you

((((hugs))))

~kathryn

Oh Lori,,,,

It is unimaginable. I am so sorry. And yes, in your head you hear,,, ' well, they are getting older". It NEVER registers in your heart. They are just as important to you no matter what the age. My Mom went through heck with lung cancer and memory loss. And I would give just about anything to have one more day. One more day, doesn't seem like too much to ask. It has been ten years for me. And I STILL talk to her in the car when I am alone,,, and I cry about it all the time. I am so sorry you have had this devastating loss. It is soul crushing.

Thank you so much for the support and condolences, you have no idea how much it is appreciated.

I do feel very thankful that I was able to spend nearly every day of Mom's last two weeks with her, and though we didn't realize that they were her last days, I showed her constantly how much I loved her, and told her I loved her every day. I am thankful for the times she stayed with me and I took her out to lunch and shoppiing and waited on her like she was visiting royalty (which in my mind she was.) I'm so glad that she knew definitively that I loved her, and to know that she loved me and was proud of me.

Very slowly, the horrible images of her bloody and unresponsive in the Intensive Care Unit that last day are being replaced by the images of her when she was alive and interactive with us all. Mom was such a sweet person (some people called her "a saint")-- with never a harsh word, and she always thought the best of people, though she was very unassuming herself and felt that she had no talents or abilities, which was so not true. She was just extremely modest, TRULY modest, and such a giving, loving woman.

I'm trying really hard to function, to "keep going", and sometimes I do fine and other times I am just a crumpled mass of tears. I wish so badly that I could hear her voice just one more time, feel her arms around me, see her smile. I know that Pa is feeling the same way, even worse because they were man and wife and half of him is now gone. I call him nearly every day, and I hope that it helps in some small way for him.

Does anything work for headaches from crying so much?

[SIZE=12pt]Lori-[/SIZE]

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. You and your family are certainly in my thoughts and prayers. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes as I thought back in time to when I lost my mom as the result of an auto accident - it has been 39 years now - I was only 16 - and sometimes seems like yesterday. I still can't talk very much about her without tearing up and still ask why it happened. Time will help - try to remember the good times - and know that she is watching over you.

Just take it day by day.

Barbie

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry for you. I lost my real mom to a car accident about 12 years ago. I was adopted by my grandmother when I was a baby so her death didn't effect me as much as your mom's has.

You have my prayers and good thoughts.

Oh Sweetie, I am so very, very sorry.

I lost my Mum with no warning, 20 years ago last month and I STILL cry.

You only have one Mum.

Take your time, hug your family, hold your Pa, they all need you, you need them, lean on one another.

We are all here for you, feel the support we can give you, close your eyes, we will be there.

Those of you who still have them, however MADDENING they can be, hug your mothers the next chance you get.

oh sweetie im so so sorry. its so painful to lose a parent and my heart goes out to you

Lori, I am soo sorry to hear this. I can't imagine your shock.

The Bloodmobile is going to be here tomorrow, and I am going to go donate in your mom's memory.

She will live on forever in your heart, that is for sure.
default_bye-sad.gif
:

Latest posts

Back