My mare 9 months pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
I probably have nothing to be concerned about, just need some reassurance. My mare is due the end of May and seems awfully big already. I think part of my problem is my mare last year barely looked pregnant but foaled a wonderful little colt at 330 days. She probably isn't a good one to compare to. This mare has had many foals before (only 1 with me), 15 years old, 36 inches tall. I tend to worry about this mare way too much but only because I LOVE her to pieces! Here's my Dolly with lots of winter fluff still
default_wub.png
:

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

she looks fine to me
default_smile.png
love the mane! all that hair can be really misleading

She looks normal to me. My 33.5" mare is wayyyyy bigger than that and by the time she is ready to foal she looks like she will explode. I don't think you have anything to worry about. She sure is pretty. Cant wait to see her baby!!

Your fine......

Here's Silver @ about 7 months along with her third foal, Streaker.......she gets huge. You'll/the marestarers think she's going to have twins when I put her under camera

f1adb0b9.jpg

She's almost at her 11 months now and is half hippo
default_smile.png

Here's a maiden at the time @ 6 months along...

f1adc763.jpg

she looks good to me too. Very pretty mare. Is she also the horse in your avatar? i noticed the high socks....

Will

She's very pretty.... She's half the size of my mare that is due the end of may some time... My mare looks to be a little wider than Erica's Silver at only supposedly 9 months gestation. I wouldn't worry!

default_wub.png
: I LOVE her little head!!
default_wub.png
: She looks normal to me
default_smile.png

Gorgeous mare!!!
default_wub.png
: And she looks fine, very normal.....boy you should see one girl in my pasture....oh lord she looks like she couldbe carrying triplets.......I'll try to get a picture if it isn't to muddy tomorrow....
default_wink.png
:

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I knew I had nothing to worry about.

Will - yes that is the same mare in my avatar and that picture was actually taken the day she went on the "date" with her stallion.

Karla - I went and took a look at your mares on that other thread. Holy cow Chloe is big! I'm guessing she is shorter than my girl though. Both your mares look so sweet and happy. I'll be watching for baby announcements!

I betcha its going to be a filly. All the mares at our barn, when they carry the baby on the right side it has ment filly!!!

:bgrin :saludando:

Alyx and Kid

Noooo not a filly! I got this mare 2 years ago and she was bred and had a filly. Last year I left her open. Her previous owner did say she has only had fillies in the past. Now I know sex is determined by the stallion, so I hope Puck breaks the cycle for her! In all actuality, I won't mind at all if she has a filly as long as it is okay. We'll see if carrying on the right = filly

OK. Is that your right or the mare's right? Also how does the needle and thread thing work again? Back and forth boy and circles girl? Or is it the other way around. Has anyone tried that before and been acurate?

It would be the mare's right, not your right.

As far as the ring test goes, if it moves in a circle it's a filly and in a straight line it's a colt. I don't consider this an accurate way of sexing a foal. It's just an old wive's tale, just something fun to do. This will be my third foal and it did happen to be right with the first two - a filly and a colt. It said colt this year for Dolly so I hope it continues to be right!

Cool. Thanks. I knew they were old wives tales but thought they might be fun. I was looking at a picture of my maiden mare and she looks like she is carrying on her left right now. I will have to watch that.

Latest posts

Back