My "maiden mare" foaled today!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandyWI

Reaction score
I did read all your replies to my other post, but thought I might as well just post here.

Last night when I was sleeping in the tack room, I kept peeking at her from the doorway. She couldn't see me, but I noticed she did do a LOT of yawning and rubbing her butt. Other than that, there was nothing else to indicate she was going to foal, but I just had that feeling, as her bag was SO hot and tight! I really didn't get any sleep, but must have dozed off because the pager went off at 4 AM. I jumped up to look, and she was sleeping on her side, like she'd been doing every night. I waited a half hour to see if there'd be more activity, but none.

I re-awakened at 6 AM and gave everyone their vitamin/mineral supplements and some hay, then went to the house to shower, as I had to go to work today. I made my husband absolutely PROMISE me to keep the pager on and also to stay very close to the barn, as I just knew she'd foal today. (Since I only work two days per week, I figured she'd foal on one of the two days I couldn't be here). I was so sure she'd foal that I asked him not to put her in the pasture, but either keep her in the stall or by herself in the dry lot right next to the barn.

Yep... she foaled at 11:30 AM. My husband was hanging around the barn, doing odd jobs, and had her in the dry lot. At one point when he peeked at her he said she was just grinding her butt into the fence and shaking her head, so he decided to lead her into the barn. As he was leading her the water broke. He barely got her into the stall, only 10' from where she'd been in the dry lot, and she laid down and went into contractions.

He told me was was SO happy to see a white sac emerge, and NOT a red one! He even got the sheet down for the foal to land on! He said from the time he saw her grining her butt till the baby was completely delivered was about five minutes! He tore the sac off the foal's head when it's shoulders cleared and he said it was all very swift and textbook. Of course, his experience delivering calves helped, I guess, LOL.

I was home from work before the foal had even gotten to its feet. I stayed home the rest of the day.

It's a filly, sired by Becky of Redrock Miniature Horses' Hart's Tip Top Flash, and my mare, JTR Southern Man's Breeze. Sire is a maximum expression sabino/tovero and dam is a dun grulla pinto.

So here's our new filly! I haven't come up with a name for her yet. That list of 80 bajillion names I've written down just doesn't have anything fitting!

I already clipped her "beard" and some big tufts of hair sticking out her ears, and I clipped a bit on her forehead. Her hair is the oddest color. It doesn't have a bit of sorrel in it. It's more like a champaign color, or palomino color, but I think she'll clip out to be a grulla, like her mom. She's also tovero. She's got the neatest black hairs in her tail, and I think they'll stay, just like her dam's tail, and she has a black mane. I think she has one blue eye. Still a bit too early to tell!

foal4.jpg

foal_back.jpg

foal_tail.jpg

foal_sleep.jpg

Yea Sandy,...she is beautiful and looks like maybe a silver dapple..or maybe not...lots of black hair in her mane....very pretty girl...Good Job...Gordon.. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: See all those nights sleeping in the tack room paid off.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!! How's Breeze like being a mommy? I bet she's taking right to it. She's such a sweet mare.

Wow, her filly is really pretty!

she is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! i love her!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: :bgrin
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: what a pretty little baby. you may want to send that last picture of her to equsite. so precious.
default_yes.gif
:

Judy... I got RIPPED OFF!!!! *I* am the one who spent all those nights sleeping in the tack room, and Breeze goes and foals mid day on one of the ONLY two days I work during the week, and my husband gets to deliver the foal! NO FAIR!!
default_wacko.png
:

barnbum, my daughter said "she looks just like a fawn!"

Stephanie, Breeze was just astounded! She did begin licking the foal right away, and was totally gracious when we were in the stall. She didn't try to corral it like my other mares do, but stood peacefully while we petted and imprinted it. But she was extremely wobbly after the birth, and at one point she nearly fell over, but my husband caught her. So we haltered her and kept her on a lead rope for 45 minutes, so we could yank her up if she toppled near the foal. She cleaned in about 40 minutes, and everything was there. The only problems we had were that every time the foal tried to find the milk bar, Breeze would lick it or nudge it, thereby totally pushing it away from the proper place! We finally had to hold her head, and once the filly caught on, Breeze did too.

Breeze also has the tiniest nipples I ever saw! I thought they'd engorge with milk, but they stayed small. It was hard for the foal to grab on to them. I milked out a quarter ounce of colustrum and fed it to the baby, just because I wanted to make sure she was getting some, and I'll have her IgG's tested tomorrow. But she's alert, moves quickly, and seems to be doing very well!

Sandy, CONGRATULATIONS on a very cute foal.
default_wub.png
: Isnt it just remarkable on how some of the maidens just seem to adapt to "Motherhood" so easy....and then there are the others
default_wink.png
: Sorry to hear you missed the foaling, but at least hubby was there and I do agree calving experience does help in husbands
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

Congratulations, she looks wonderful!

She is just adorable!!! But with those pretty parents I would expect as much, big congrats to all!!

:aktion033: What a beautiful girl!!! I think you should name her Fawn!! Congratulations, Sheila

Sorry you couldn't be there for her birth, but a live pinto filly is great! Congratulations!

She was born in a "Flash" and it was a "Breeze"! :aktion033:

What a sweet little feminine girl! Congratulations! And horraaay for your wonderful mare! :aktion033:

MA

Congrats on a beautifull grulla pinto!

Yep that´s what a grulla looks like just born, she´s gonna be like momma.

Very nice! :aktion033:

Sorry you couldn't be there for her birth, but a live pinto filly is great! Congratulations!

She was born in a "Flash" and it was a "Breeze"! :aktion033:
I like that REO, she should somehow incorporate that into a name! :aktion033: Your filly is indeed a lovely fawn of a filly, huge congratulations and well done by hubby! :aktion033:

[SIZE=24pt]Congratulations! Sandy! :aktion033: Way to go Gordon! :aktion033: :aktion033: [/SIZE]

Bill

Latest posts

Back