My little colt with Choke

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I wasn't going to put this on here as some people are so judgemental. But Donna thought I should as it's a learning experience.

To start with, Thurs morning, I found him with a gurgly breathing and green saliva. I had my vet out, he put the tube down his nostril, felt something move on down and we were happy he was ok. By evening, he had it again, had my vet back out and did it again. We decided to put him on totally soft food now to try to heal the damage. The colt had a temp of 104.5 now, my vet did warn me that he now has a very severe case of phnumonia sp?? and he gave him a couple shots, and I was to start him on smz's. He said he must have got some milk down the windpipe and got some into his lungs, a very serious condition. I work the grave yard shift now. When I got home at 7:30, I ran down to the barn to make sure he was ok and here he had it again. I called my vet again, he came back out. We had to make a decision, take him to the hospital, they'd have to keep a tube down him for a wk or so, it would cost a few thousand dollars and sad as it is, this hospital doesn't care about minis. Donna and I found that out, every time we take one there, they lose it. But the main thing is that Mark thought this colt could have damage to his throat and was set up for a lifetime of choke problems. I have a bad throat and choke alot, it's scary and miserable, I couldn't do that to a baby.

So we told Mark to put him down. Nate and Mark decided to cut his neck open to try to determine the cause. They were shocked and called me over to look. This baby had a huge bruise on the inside of his throat, as Mark moved tissue around, a huge ball of puss, kind of a odd white solid puss, emerged from the inside. His throat had some damge to it, Mark figured he must have gotten kicked very hard within the last couple wks and this puss must have been building for some time but finally got so bad that the symtoms showed from the outside. Mark said he couldn't have been saved. But the odd thing is that just a few nights ago, he was out there playing with the other colts, running and rearing, who'd ever have thought he had any problem at all. He had to have been in severe pain, it's to bad they can't tell us this. Mark said it just would have kept growing and choked him off.

He wasn't even three months old. Rest in peace, my little Rolled In Gold.

Goldstanding4-29-07-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Marnie, I'm SO sorry you lost your baby! He was a nice little guy. I'm wondering if maybe he had been kicked in the throat while playing or something, which started that to happen. I bet it was that wound festering inside (swelling) that caused him to keep choking. You did all you could to help him and it really sounds like letting him go was the best for him. Some times things just happen. {{{{hugs}}}}

:no: Marnie, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of this little colt. You made the right decision in my opinion! HUGS my friend!

Marnie,
default_sad.png
That is so sad! :no: We've had several choke over the years, but we're able to clear them up!

Most of the choike's we see is when babies eat momma's poop!

Bill

Thinking of you in your loss
default_pray.gif
: I would have done the same

Oh Marnie, I'm so sorry and I'm glad you shared. Not one person here should have anything but sympathy for you and yours. I would've done the same thing. We love them so very much but 1000's of $$ is many times not feasible. You trusted your instincts and were correct, poor beautiful baby, I'm so so sorry.

Oh, Marnie --

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful foal! There was not anything you could have done differently. I'm very sorry he is gone.

Jill

I'm sorry to read about your loss, he was a beautiful little boy. I went through a choke experience along with damage to the esphogous on my first horse....it was a difficult experience to go through.

Candy

I'm so sorry Marnie.
default_sad.png
I know you did all you could.....he was a beautiful little boy.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Marnie, I am so, so sorry to hear about your boy. :no:

Marnie, I am so very sorry to hear about your beautiful baby and you certainly did the right thing. I can't stand to see them in pain, poor sweet thing. Please don't beat yourself up about this. I am afraid bad things happen alot that our totally out of our control, even though we think we could have done things differently in our minds :no: . Hugs to you and give a hug to his momma too please.

Marnie thanks for posting this I would have never thought about there being puss and swelling from an injury

I am so very sorry for your loss

Oh how sad! He is so cute.I pray momma is well and rest usure you did the right thing. I am so sorry.

Marnie, I am so sorry this had to happen. :no: I know how you loved him, but you did the right thing. He more than likely could not have had a good quality of life so he is now at peace and playing with many others his own age. As hard as it must be he is better off and I repeat you did the right thing. Love ya Sis.
default_wub.png
: B

If you get ANY negativity on this that person is very, very wrong.

Seems our dearly beloveds have lots of new company to

teach the ropes to lately......

I am so sorry for your loss.

A very imformative post though....it seems if we can share

and keep all this in our memory, for future reference, maybe

one day we'll have an answer at our fingertips when we need it most.

Take care!

I am so very sorry for your loss. As hard as this had to be, thank you for sharing it with us.

Latest posts

Back