My first show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmyracker

Reaction score
I will be going to my first show. Can you please tell me the difference between "Halter Mare" and "Showmanship" Classes? What will I be required to do? I will be showing my yearling mare.

Hi,

For the mare halter class the judges will be looking mostly at your mare's conformation/presentation. They will also look at how you present yourself/horse, but it is primarily about your horse. The showmanship class is all about you. How you look...how you handle your horse...how well your horse responds to you. Your mare's presentation (looks) will play a part, but this class is less about conformation and more about how well you show her.

Laura

Be aware that showmanship is done in a set "pattern" that you must memorize before you go out. Not sure if you are showing amha or amhr but you should memorize the patterns for that registry. Showmanship is much different from halter and you cannot touch your horse. I find showmanship is normally hard for a yearling especially if the class is large as they just dont have that long of an attention span.

I will be showing AMHR. I will probably stick with the "Halter" classes since it is the first show for both of us.

Back