My first Miniature

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenasjbug

Reaction score
dakota02.jpg

Hi. This is Dakota, details are being worked on but am pretty sure it'll work out. I hope
unsure.gif
He will be my first mini and my first stallion but am confident we'll get along as I worked with several studs during college. He's also supposed to be a perfect gentleman. He's broke to drive also!!
aktion033.gif
But needs some brushing up I am told as it's been a couple of years. If any of you experienced miniature owners want to critique him that's fine. I'd love to hear all comments as I've not been able to find out much about his history, lines, ect.

Also any advice on how you determine stud fees.

Thanks

Danielle

Promise Acres

Congratulions! I saw him on the sale page and thought he was cute. Also WOW what a mane and tale! Have fun and best wishes for the future..

PS If this horse is your first, are planning to breed? If not why not geld him? There are SO many stallions and colts being sold now, I just wondered..Maxine

Congrats!
aktion033.gif

He sure is pretty, look at all that long mane and tail!!!

I agree- he'd make a lovely gelding. There is NO money in standing a stallion like this at stud (no offence I'm sure he's a lovely pet) and an awful lot of outlay on insurance and amenities . And, as I say every time this comes up...I have NEVER been hurt by a stallion, it has always been visiting mares that cause the damage. Believe me, there will be no call for his services, I cannot for the life of me understand why people leave these little ones entire!!!

Sorry this sounds very harsh- I am not at my best this AM and feeling a bit cranky. This is NO way to welcome you to the Forum!! Please remember that we can only go by the photo actually shown to us, and, by that photo, I stand by what I said. If you would like a private critique I will be glad to give you one, but, from previous experience, things get so heated when these are done in public that I shy away now.

Suffice it to say I see nothing at all that says "Stallion quality" to me and a lot that says "gelding"

Last edited by a moderator:
l think he looks like a sweetheart but reminds me of the old fashioned type like this guy one of our old stock. Sorry it's so big l couldn't get it smaller.

jojo.jpg

There's nothing like your first mini! We still have ours and will for life.

He's cute, how tall is he?

Congrats!

Congratulations on your FIRST! (You will be in big trouble now! ) I hope you will post a picture after you've had him a while to show the difference good grooming can make. Good luck on your research. I, too, am a fan of geldings for all 'round enjoyment of my horses. It is a hard decision, though, expecially for a "first".

Marsha

Congrats, he is very handsome.
wub.gif
I also agree, geld geld geld! He will be much happier, and I am sure you will too, ecspecially when you got to shows!
yes.gif

OH, and welcome to the forum! LB is the best.
saludando.gif

Congratulations on your first mini! He is one of my favorite colors and I love his loooong tail!!!

If you don't plan to get into breeding, gelding will only make him easier to enjoy. I decided to do that with two of my sr. show stallions this spring and I love them even more as geldings! They were already trained to the 9's in hand and driving, but gelding them has allowed them to be more social and easier to house.

Driving is so much fun!!! You're going to have a blast with your new mini, I am sure!

Congratulations on your first mini. If you are getting him mainly to breed to outside mares I think you will be disappointed.. Most mini mare owners have their own studs.... In the last several years higher quality stallions have become more affordable to the average breeder for lots less money........ Those that do send their mares out are looking for something in a stallion that they can not produce from their own usually.................. We have decreased our mini mares to just a few & will be selling our stud. We will be sending our few mares to outside stallions. What I will be looking at is the quality of the foals that the stallion has already produced, bloodlines & show record in that order.. Simply put, that is how you determine a stud fee. In todays market you need an exceptional stallion in order to get decent stud fees

he is 32 inches

and yes I plan on breeding (I've had large horses for years so he's not my first horse just first mini). I hope to get some mares next spring of my own. Of course my sister wants me to try breeding him to a jenny as she says there's a market out there for miniature mules? I don't know. Just know I've been wanting to raise some horses for many years. If I do get some outside mares fine, if not whatever. (I've been around horses long enough I know that it's impossible to make money) I thought too he was of an older style but that's ok to me as personality is a big thing with me. If I ever get into it big time and showing (which I haven't found any any shows near us anyways) I will probably get more modern miniature horses, but I think Dakota will be a good start. And personally I have only found 1 gelding over the years whom I really liked and most people said he acted more like a mare.... Not that geldings don't have their place.

Thanks again for all your input.

Danielle

The Jenny will be difficult to breed. If you were able to get it done the result would not be a mule it would be a Hinny.

For future reference, if you just want people to say what a pretty horse you have, it is best to just ask for that, and not for advice and critiques.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabbitsfizz said:
The Jenny will be difficult to breed.  If you were able to get it done the result would not be a mule it would be a Hinny.For future reference, if you just want people to say what a pretty horse you have, it is best to just ask for that, and not for advice and critiques.

491213[/snapback]

I said thank you for your input, I not sure why the snippy email. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I don't plan on gelding him. Actually most of the mini's in my area look a lot like Dakota (or even more pony like). But as I said not many show in this area as there are no shows. I guess I just wanted someone to point out any obvious flaws other than "I think he looks like a gelding" in the event I am overlooking something. His lines aren't Buckeroo lines, but from what I've learned definately not anything to be ashamed of.

And yes, I admit it would be a Hinny.... my sister is the mule/donkey person. Me I can't keep them straight. Oh well. My sister just wants me to try it. So I guess we will see.

If I had thousands of dollars to put into my horses I would, unfortunatley my husband thinks we need a roof over our head and food on the table. So I have to be content with what we can afford. Too me a proven stud with a great personality who is broke to drive, and correct in legs and teeth doesn't seem so horrible.

Danielle

PS this is not intended to offend anyone. I do appreciate the comments I guess I just want to let you know where I'm coming from.

saludando.gif

I did not send you an e-mail, I'm not sure where that came from. Oh well, if you are not interested, why not just say so?? As I said, you did ask for critiques, and I did NOT give one, just my opinion. Since you know it all any way, why ask?? That is all I was saying. I've seen this so many times before, but I guess each person has to learn it for themselves. Leaving now, shan't post here again.

Just for what it is worth, I want to chime in about stud fees.

Almost all mini people have their own stallion. Most of them would make better geldings, but it doesn't change the fact that most mini mare owners who want to breed have their own stallions.

With my two "new" colts, I do plan to offer them to outside mares. They have really good show records and are very well bred. In thinking about what I want to do regarding their stud fees, I think I will set their stud fee around $1,000.

I don't really care if many outsiders breed to them, or if none do. BUT, if I am going to take in an outside mare then it's got to be worth my time and the risks. Plus, I would really hate to see a low stud fee and then the following year some "cheap" babies by my horses for sale. I'd rather be picky and just use my own mares than to have a lot of outside mares for not much money... I think that has the potential to devalue a stallion. I have zero illusions of any kind of profit. If there's any money coming in, it will be small offset to the money going out. But, at the same time, I would like to share my horses with those who admire them and I am definitely open to cutting some special deals on stud fees to some special people
smile.gif

If you have a stallion w/ no registry show record, I'm not sure how you could justify much of a stud fee at all. After you have been in minis longer, you may see what I mean. It's not like other breeds. There are just SO MANY mini stallions available and for really not that much money, mare owners can breed to stallions with National show records and desirable bloodlines.

Thanks for the insight. I haven't thought about things that way. This stallion was shown but years ago and I don't know of any placings or titles. His sire on the other hand has several national and regional driving titles. I hope to get him back driving as I like using horses. And after a couple of years I might change my mind and geld him. I don't even have him home yet so we've some time to make any major decisons.
smile.gif

Danielle

Latest posts

Back