My first CDE! Do I have everything?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTheMini

Reaction score
Magic and I are going to our first CDE! I am very excited and very nervous. I have been reading through the rulebook to make sure I have everything I need, but there is a lot of information that is hard to sort through. I want to make sure I have the essentials. Do I need to have a chest protector/vest thing for the marathon? Do I HAVE to have brown gloves or are black gloves ok? Am I allowed to wear my helmet in dressage and cones or do I have to have a hat? Do I need the medical arm band thing? What about a spares kit? A slow moving vehicle sign or reflectors? I think I read that I needed some of these things, but some of them I know are optional. I read the rulebook, but I either skipped over this or I couldn't figure it out. And any other important tid-bits anyone wants to share. I just want to make it through following the rules and being safe. Thanks! L

I have not done a complete CDE because I skip the marathon, but I do know you need BROWN gloves for Dressage and you can wear a helmet because I always do. You want to dress quite conservatively for Dressage. You must carry a whip!!!I have also volunteered at CDEs and have not seen chest protectors used. I carry a spares kit which I usually forget about and wonder why I can't find things!

Some of these questions would likely be better answered by someone who is running the CDE you are entering. One other tip I would not have known is that you can tape the map and all the obstacle maps onto your cart since you don't have a navigator. Having an empty number holder (a big one) can be handy for holding papers too. Rubber bands to hold stuff on your arms or legs...Bring lots of "office supplies" and Good Luck!!

Magic and I are going to our first CDE! I am very excited and very nervous. I have been reading through the rulebook to make sure I have everything I need, but there is a lot of information that is hard to sort through. I want to make sure I have the essentials. Do I need to have a chest protector/vest thing for the marathon? NO Do I HAVE to have brown gloves or are black gloves ok? BROWN Am I allowed to wear my helmet in dressage and cones or do I have to have a hat? A Helmet can be worn at any time without penalty Do I need the medical arm band thing? Maybe, depends on the event. Check the Omnibus What about a spares kit? No A slow moving vehicle sign or reflectors? Reflectors no. SMV maybe but check the Omnibus I think I read that I needed some of these things, but some of them I know are optional. I read the rulebook, but I either skipped over this or I couldn't figure it out. And any other important tid-bits anyone wants to share. Have fun. They call it Training Level for a reason. I just want to make it through following the rules and being safe. Thanks! L

Back