My fine feathered friend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
We woke this morning to find my good old cockatiel, Dave-the-Bird, had gone to the Rainbow Bridge. He was 27 years old, I'd had him for 20 years. He would always greet me in the mornings with a hearty wolf-whistle, no matter how scarey I looked. He hated men, hated them! Dave-the-Bird and I would have long, quiet conversations about how pretty he was. He would chuckle and say "yes, yes, pretty, pretty bird". He had about a 15 or 20 word vocabulary, and a great laugh. He could mimick the microwave beeper and the phone so well that we were always jumping up, then he'd laugh at us. He did a perfect Meow, and drove the cats batty. He could whistle the Andy Griffith song, but in his older years, he'd get stuck on the first bar, and whistle the same 4 notes over and over again. Darrin would say, "The bird is stuck!" and I'd go to his cage and whistle the rest of the song to get him unstuck. His favorite treat was Crispix cereal. He'd been through my 2 divorces, several moves, different jobs, two lost businesses. He saw me bring home puppies and bury them as old dogs. He was always with me.

I'm thankful that he wasn't sick, he didn't linger and suffer. He was going into a molt, and I had told him yesterday, "Hey, you look a little ratty old man." He said, "Yes, yes, pretty, pretty bird." I knew this day was coming, he was very old; but I'd have loved to have more time with him. We buried him under the Japanese Maple that was under the place where we'd hang his cage outside when the weather was nice.

It's going to be lonely here without him.
sad.gif
Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders.

Suzanne

Oh how sad to loose an old friend. I don't care what people say, they are life partners when you take them on. You laugh and cry with them and let them become a part of you. I feel your sadness. (((hugs)))

Awww, Suzanne, I'm sorry you lost your buddy. Some Cockatiels are special....I had one for 17 years...Birdy Bird bird....I had his parents and helped him out of his shell. He also whistled some of the Andy Griffith song, and used sit under my neck and just talk and talk to me in bird talk, very quietly.... When I gave away the rest of the birds, I kept him.

There sure is a big ol empty space when they are gone. I still miss him.

Sorry for you loss
sad.gif

Sue

Awwww...no matter how much I love the four-legged, furry critters, I have a special feeling for feathered ones.

I've never owned a parrot type bird since my parents had one or two when I was small, and my sister and her husband had African Greys, but I do still have one old Gouldian Finch from my breeding days, and he's going on 11 years old this Fall. He's not the same as your guy, but I still have a special attachment to him, and I certainly understand yours, he was part of your family and a long-standing one at that.

I'm sorry he's gone, and glad you had a long time with him as well, also that he did not linger or force you to make some difficult decision.

My thoughts are with you during this time of adjustment and grief....

Liz M.

Dave-the-Bird sounds like those one of a kind birds that you will never forget.....Bet you could say that you didn't own him, He owned YOU.

I have a scarlet headed conure named, "Ducky", that is like that. He drives me batty, bites anyone or anything in his space except ME. Tells me when he's happy, sad, in the mood for love or wants to be just fed and left alone...... He's 10 years old (had since he was weeks old) and hope to be able to will him to my daughter.........

Hope you kept some of his feathers.....I'm sure he'd appreciate that.....

Hugs,

MA

Wow! 27yrs. I am very sorry for your sadness but my goodness 27 yrs! My Ishta (cockateil) is 11 and still perky. She began meowing last nite and Sweet William was aboslutely baffled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Suzanne, I am soooooooo sorry....
no.gif

I have 13 tiels, and they are all very, very special to me, but my Bestest Buddy is "JJ". He sounds alot like your Dave the Bird, and I know I am going to go bonkers when the time comes for me with JJ, so I understand the hole in your heart right now... You sure do have alot of wonderful memories of your time together, what a Wonderful Life he had with you! 27 years old! What a testimate to your love and caring!!

Do you have a picture to share of Dave the Bird? I would love to see him...

A BIG cyber Hug going out to you Suzanne, I hope that soon you are able to smile again with your memories of your very special boy!

(((((((((((((((((((((((Suzanne)))))))))))))))))))))))

Nancy

27 years old??!!! A true testament of a great "mom".
wub.gif
What a lucky bird.

(((HUGS))) as you wake to the quiet mornings.

Latest posts

Back