My fight to save Beths Eye is Over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna

Reaction score
default_sad.png
Beth and I fought the battle, and we gave it all we had. We have been a team from the very beginning. From the first time I saw her I knew that she was meant to be mine. She was straggley and thin, allot of hair on her skinny frame, but her beautiful head and sparkling blue eye took my breath away and I knew she had to be mine. The breeder said she wasn't for sale, but I pushed him until he cracked and I thought I wouldnt get her home fast enough before he would change his mind.

I first showed her at the WCMHR show in Williamston, NC. Buster said she wasnt ready, but she woed them and the Judge loved her, said she was the most beautiful horse he had ever seen. She won everything we showed her in and was so exquisitly beautiful in the Liberty Class.

Beth went on to win at AMHR shows and Placing Reserve Champion two years at AMHR Nationals. She finished top 5 in her driving classes.

Beth developed Uveitis and has been back and forth to NC State numerous times for treatment and observation. We considered an implant, but Beth was tested not to be a candidate. Last Week her uveitis returned and we returned to NC State once again to see if she would be a candidate for yet another new clinical research study. It was found that her eye had taken on much more than it could handle and the detereation was greater than they would want to see for the procedure. It was concured that she would only be without further pain and suffering if we removed the eye. This is a very expensive procedure but I was left without anymore options, I have done all I can do.

I have to say, besides making the decision to end your horses life, this has had to be the most devestating decision to make, for me anyway. I know that she will be fine in the end but that still doesnt relieve the pain that I feel in my heart. I wish this on No One. Pray for Beth that all goes well with the surgery. And Thank You all that have supported me in the past and Thank You to you all that supports me now.

Thank You from my Heart,
default_sad.png

Donna

You & your beautiful little girl will be in my prayers!

Hang in there....

Oh no, I am SO very sorry. This must be heart-wrenching for you.
default_sad.png
Sending prayers that Beth will come thru the surgery with no problems and be relieved to be pain-free.

Donna,

I know what you are going through I had a mare up I was going to show this year that lost her eye in a freak accident in her stall of all places..........it is heartwrenching, but hopefully your mare will recover quickly.

I was lucky with mine, it was a severe injury but I was able to save the eye, even if she is blind so we didn't have to remove the whole socket; so far so good, it's been a month and just keeping fingers crossed she continues to do well.

She's great outside, runs and bucks and acts completely normal, I just make sure and talk to her more when doing things with her.

I'm sure Beth will come through with flying colors.

Don't know if you've been through this before, but I've got several client horses that have lost an eye for one reason or another and they're all doing great.

People still ride them even.

Good luck with the surgery.

default_unsure.png
I hope that all goes well with her surgery. I will say a prayer for her recovery and an end to her pain. Barb

Prayers and loving wishes sent your way. If it's any comfort, I too have known several horses (two big, one mini) who were missing one eye and you'd never know it except to look at them. They were all happy, healthy, and totally unaware they were supposed to be "handicapped."

Leia

My heart goes out to you for making this brave decision...wishing Beth a speedy recovery.

Liz R.

Donna, I'm so sorry that the damage was so extensive. I remember your earlier posts. Lots of prayers coming your way for a quick recovery. She should adapt very well.

Hugs,

I'm sorry for you and poor Beth! I hope all goes well with her surgery and she recovers as quickly as possible.

UPDATE: THe vet called from NC State and said that Beth is out of surgery and doing fine in recovery. He said the surgery went very well and she should be able to come home on Friday. They will start feeding her Mash tonight and hay tomorrow. I still can't believe this has happened and ended in this way. Thank you all for your prayers and kind words. I can't tell you what it means to me, and I really needed them today.
default_no.gif
Bethhead.jpg

Donna my heart goes out to you and your mare and your family

must have been such a hard decision to make

She is an absolutely beautiful mare

and most of all sounds like a wonderful friend too

hoping the transition is easy for both of you

and thank god you still have your gorgeous mare

and she is doing well after the surgery

Animals are so adaptive she may act the same as she always has

I missed your other posts did she still have sight in her eye before the surgery?

(((((((hugs)))))))))

Lori

Lori, thank you so much for your concerns. She did have some sight for a while,however, this last episode with the inflamation has been smoldering in the back of the eye and of course when I noticed it had flarred up again it had already done more damage. The last flare up was in Febuary this year and was easily treated with topical antibiotics. The problem is with her uveitis originating from the back of the eye we couldnt really ever be sure that the topicals were getting deep enough into the retinal area of her eye. Now we know. Beth was considered for an implant in March but was found not to be a good candidate because she responded so well to the topicals. Maybe, if we had of went ahead with the implant, we wouldnt of had to take her eye now. Maybe
default_unsure.png

Donna-

So glad she is in recovery and everything has gone well. A friend of mine has a mare with only one eye and she does really well - you just have to talk to her for sure if you come up on her blind side. Good luck - Beth is very lucky to have you. What a beautiful mare she is.

Barbie

I'm so sorry. Your so devoted and brave for your girl. She will be OK. Keep your chin up and God Bless. Prayers for Beth for a speedy recover.

Aw, I'm sorry she lost her eye, but I've also got a one-eyed girl, and she is just fine. She has never had it as long as I've owned her, and as far as I can determine, has been without her eye since she was very young, she is now 32.

She really suffers none for the loss, and her forelock covers the empty socket. Unless I tell them, no one knows she has lost the eye.

I hope your Beth completely recovers...my thoughts are with you.

Liz M

Back