My daughters Quarter Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary, I am soo sorry to hear this....hoping for a good outcome no matter what the vet is saying.

If you get a minute and don't mind me asking, could you pm or email the name of the vet you are using?

Lots of positive thoughts coming your way.....

~kathryn

Update and so very very thankful for all the good thoughts and prayers.

Vet called back and decided to come check him out again, he is puzzled so said he would get the owner of the vet office to also come out...

this vet I trust 100 %, we gave him a good sedation for his discomfort tubed him again, my daughter is not ready to say good-bye, so we have done all possible at this time unless we want to take the chance on surgery and the vet does not think he will make the trip.

Giving him and her sometime to say their good-byes.

She has only had him for a couple of years, but poor Melada our 20 year paso fino, keeps nudging him softly and standing over him, so so sad to see her letting go of her best friend.

Do not think badly of us, not letting him go yet, my daughter is just not ready.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Yes, Please Pray for a peaceful passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A twisted intestine & the vet said to wait a few hours. That is shameful. If surgery wasn't an option and my vet suggested that I would be extremely upset. Has he at least given the horse enough drugs so that he is sedated to the point of being out of it, and isn't actually suffering this whole time?

I am so sorry for the horse and what he is going through.

A twisted intestine & the vet said to wait a few hours. That is shameful. If surgery wasn't an option and my vet suggested that I would be extremely upset. Has he at least given the horse enough drugs so that he is sedated to the point of being out of it, and isn't actually suffering this whole time?
I am so sorry for the horse and what he is going through.

Yes he has, and he is laying quietly without any discomfort, but thanks for your thoughts..
default_wub.png

Mary, we would NEVER judge you. I know you are doing everything possible and have your daughter to think about too. I know how hard this is on you, Glen, your daughter and General. God will give you all strength to get thru this.

I honestly do think if IT WAS ME.... I would take the chance at surgery, he has made it thru the night and the day now, and I would think if his intestines were twisted THAT BAD, he would have passed by now. How far would the trip be to preform surgery on him? What tests did your vet do to know exactly that it was a twisted intestine? ...and what color was the fluid that he got? Did he get any gut sounds at all? Was he the only vet to check him out? I do hope the vet has him very heavily sedated, to the point of not knowing what is going on with him. Ohhh...I Just feel so bad not only for General, but for you and your daughter as well. Email me when you have time, and let your daughter know I am thinking and praying for her and General. (((hugs)))

Corinne

Mary, we would NEVER judge you. I know you are doing everything possible and have your daughter to think about too. I know how hard this is on you, Glen, your daughter and General. God will give you all strength to get thru this. Corinne
Thanks Corinne for not judging, will email you.

I would take the chance at surgery, he has made it thru the night and the day now, and I would think if his intestines were twisted THAT BAD, he would have passed by now.
I have not read all the posts, but have they tried hydration? That is what saved my mare after day 4 of a horrid bout of colic that we suspected was an impaction and/or twist. She had to stand in crossties in her stall for 12 hours, with a stomach tube tied to her halter.
default_sad.png
I had to pour a litre of lukewarm water into a funnel, through the tube every 30-60 minutes (? cannot remember for sure) for that 12 hours. What it does, is completely hydrate the intestines so they soften and open to allow a blockage to soak and soften enough to get past the impacted site. It worked wonders with her...and even had it been a twist, which my vet suspected at the cecum, it will sometimes, "float" it back into place...which we think happened to my mare.

We had nothing to lose; as I had already okay'ed having her euthanized...it is worth asking your vet about.

Praying for a recovery.

The "hard" distended belly suggests a torsion/twist or a rupture that may be too far gone for surgery and a long haul to get there. And to be honest, if the horse is heavily sedated and feeling no pain, I see nothing wrong with having some time to say goodbye.

My heart goes out to you and your daughter... and General.
hug2.gif

The "hard" distended belly suggests a torsion/twist or a rupture that may be too far gone for surgery and a long haul to get there. And to be honest, if the horse is heavily sedated and feeling no pain, I see nothing wrong with having some time to say goodbye.
My heart goes out to you and your daughter... and General.
hug2.gif

So glad you understand, this sure has not been great to see my daughter's heart break and I cannot fix it.
default_wub.png

I'm so sorry you, your daughter and General are going through this. Good thoughts for peace for all of you. I hope your knee is ok, take care of yourself too

I'm so sorry
default_crybaby.gif
My heart goes out to your daughter and General. {{{{Hugs}}}}

We lost a filly to a twisted intestine a few years ago
default_sad.png

I am so terribly sorry. You know what is best for him, no one else. He will tell you. I am sorry.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers.

General has passed away peacefully...So young but has made memories in our hearts.

default_bye-sad.gif
farwell General.I pray for you and your daughter.You all will be in our prayers.

Latest posts

Back