Please Poop!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of my little dwarf Thunder, he coliced again last night. I was up just about every hour checking on him. I thought I was gonna have to take him to the ER at midnight, but luckily I didnt.

I gave him that shot about 8pm. Waited the 1 hour then checked on him. He still seemed too drugged up to me, so I waited another hour.

10pm: he didn’t seem 100%… me: “do I take him in, do I not take him in, oh God! What do I do?” 😫

11pm: still didn’t seem 100% but getting better

midnight: me as I’m laying in bed: “Ok, if he isn’t almost 100%, I’m taking him in!” Luckily by now he has gotten better, still hasn’t pooped yet, but so much better now.

2:30am: We have poop! Poopy party 🥳💩

4am: Thunder: “God Lord Mom, why do you keep coming out here in the middle of the night turning the lights on and waking everyone up? Seriously!”🤣

7am: We have poop again!! 🥳💩 breakfast time and he is whinnying for me as usual.

What a night! Im exhausted LOL LOL 💕💕

The others stood & slept by him all night cheering him on!💕
View attachment 45940
This is a barn? Wow, it's so beautiful! I will never post my pallet shelter. lol Seriously, I love it. I would live there.

Thank for the well wishes!! Thank you Willow & HM!💕

Hey MF… oh that doesn’t sound good 🤣…. Hey MaryFlora, thank you for this….
Thunder without any question landed in the right family.
I was in tears the other night telling hubby that I’m a complete failure…. Booo poor me… poor, poor me…. pity party at its finest 😝 so thank you!

Great idea Taz, I have already told hubby I NEED colic cameras!!

Nope Ryan, he doesn’t have a parrot mouth but a monkey mouth, poor little guy!... severe underbite but it doesnt stop him! He chows down like there is no tomorrow, that’s why he gets the tiniest hole hay nets as possible. 💕

Thanks DM, my hubby just built it for me ♥♥♥ I absolutely love it and so do my ponies 💕💕 I would live in my barn too, but hubby won’t let me put our bed out there🤣🤣 here is the link for my barn build…
https://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/threads/barn-build.139656/I bet your pallet shelter is AWESOME! Can’t wait to see it!!💕💕

You’re welcome, Kelly. I think we can empathize with you, failure, pity parties, gloom, etc....😉 It is such a shame this community isn’t geographically close so we can share those times! On the other hand.....maybe there is a reason we are scattered like marbles!😂

DianaM, Kelly does have a beautiful barn but I just bet Jack and Lollipop love their home! Safe, loved, sheltered, fed, admired..🤗...their home is their castle!👍

No colic, so don’t worry, only an…

Update, update! 😁

I am really loving the Timothy compressed bale hay from Standlee. It seems to be very consistent, much more so than the coastal I have been feeding over the years. I am slowly switching Thunder over, it is taking a few months to do so. Due to his sensitive, fragile system, I am only increasing his Timothy hay 1 ounce a day and there is 16 ounces in a pound! So very slow going! I think in the long run it will be so much better for him and way more consistent.

Also, Thunder is in his dry lot alone from 9-4pm, so I make sure to clean up poop before I put him in there. He poops about 3-4times during those hours, so if he stops pooping, I’ll know right away.

Geez how high maintenance can one little tiny horse be? LOL LOL 💕💕😍

.....maybe there is a reason we are scattered like marbles!😂

DianaM, Kelly does have a beautiful barn but I just bet Jack and Lollipop love their home! Safe, loved, sheltered, fed, admired..🤗...their home is their castle!👍

The reason is this: there was a time when "seeing the continent" is something young ladies and gentlemen DID after high school.

We're in less genteel times now. However, we could justify "seeing OUR continent" by traveling all over and visiting our Forum Friends. Gosh, wouldn't THAT be some kind of road trip??!! We could start on one end of the country, go zig-zagging across, then head north through Canada to visit folks like Minimor and Taz. Folks could just drop into and out of the caravan as they saw fit. I just can't map a feasible way to fit Ryan and our new Aussie members in though...🤔🤔

Hey, HEY!! RYAAAAAN!! Y'all up for an intercontinental extended road trip?🤣🤣

I had my first experience with gas colic last night! Hershey had no interest of eating. He would stretch out at times and try and lay down. After a call to the vet I gave him benemine. Checking on him every hour up until midnight. He was acting much better and this morning he had an appetite. 🙂
For those of you on foal watch, I don't know how you do it, up all night. I'm exhausted this morning, but all worth it.

I had my first experience with gas colic last night! Hershey had no interest of eating. He would stretch out at times and try and lay down. After a call to the vet I gave him benemine. Checking on him every hour up until midnight. He was acting much better and this morning he had an appetite. 🙂
For those of you on foal watch, I don't know how you do it, up all night. I'm exhausted this morning, but all worth it.
How did you know about gas colic? This behavior has happened to Dapper Dan once, many years ago. Scared me to death. It was Christmas Eve and I had a houseful of dinner guests. I left them to serve themselves and hauled Dapper Dan around in the trailer for an hour. I'm sure the people thought I was crazy.

Marsha, While I was walking him waiting to hear from the vet, he pooped. It looked normal. This had me confused because I have only dealt with blockage colic before. Telling the the vet this, She said to give him benemine and it could be gas colic. I continued to walked him for a hour. The vet said it could take up to that long for the benemine to kick in. By that time he wanted to go back into the barn 🙂 but would not eat. The vet told me she has had a few gas colic calls lately and it is a waiting game. It is always so scary.
I'm only feeding him small amount of hay at a time throughout the day. So far so good this morning.

HM? How’s Hersey? All good now? Back to normal?

No colic here yet but a VERY close call! Here is what happen… we were suppose to go on vacay from Tuesday thru Sunday morning. My neighbor friend was to come over and feed. I left very specific instruction and reviewed everything with her before we left. I printed out the instructions and taped next to feed stations. I premeasured everyone’s feed so horse sitter wouldn’t have to. All they had to do was come in, dump feed, and give Thunder hay. Everyone else had tons of hay.

This is what Thunders instructions said…
THUNDER: tiny horse inside barn area
AM & PM each feeding - 1 bag of feed & 2 large hay nets
***hay MUST go in hay nets or he will gorge and make himself sick!***

NOTE: Thunder colics very easily, don’t change anything, don’t give him any treats, no grass! If he stops pooping please call me ASAP and I will call Amy next door to administer shot! Shot is located in large cabinet by entry door.”

So instead, horse sitter doesn’t give Thunder any hay Tuesday night and locks him in the barn. I found this out on Wednesday night when I asked her if Thunder had hay. Her response was “he gets hay at night?” 🤦🏻‍♀️ So he went 12 hours without hay! I had my neighbor vet over checking on him as soon as I found this out. Needless to say, we had to cut our vacay short and came home first thing Thursday morning.

Horse sitter was definitely making things up as she went. This wasn’t the only thing she was doing either.

I have had plenty of other people feed my horses and have NEVER had a problem. My Dad has even horse sat before and didn’t screw anything up…and he is ALWAYS screwing things up.

I think we are pretty much out of the woods at this point, but as my vet says, “are we really ever out of the woods with these guys?!”

Do you have any night”mare”ish 🤣 horse sitting stories??

Hi Kelly,
I sure hope Thunder is doing fine. :) Hershey has been fine. It has been 8 days since he had gas colic. It could be cuz of the weather turning cold again. The next few days the lows will be back down to 38-39 degrees, so this worries me. I will be watching him closely.
Pet sitting stories.... you all are scaring me. I just scheduled my first pet sitter at the end of May.:oops:

Just to lighten things up...many years ago I went on an out of state trail ride, was gone for three days. Came back home to the pet sitter standing in my driveway looking like someone had died. I had just brought home a spotted Tennessee Walking Horse stallion a week or two before this trip. Turns out the sitter didn't shut the outer gate and the stallion had opened the gate to his paddock and escaped. The sitter had drove up and down all the close roads except for one he didn't know about. I took off with my truck and trailer down that road, thinking if the stallion saw it, he would talk to me. (A trailer means a mare coming to visit.) It worked! I was shaking when I loaded him up! Turns out he went and found a Paint Horse breeder and they put him in their round pen when he showed up. Did I mention there was a storm that night? Oh, and the pet sitter was my husband...

The last time we had to have a horse sitter, she sent me pictures of them every day. Wasn't that sweet? Of course, every picture was them standing at the gate saying "What's taking so long to feed me?" It would have been nice if they had been saying "Hi! We miss you."

My neighbors have a stray horse that showed up in their yard. She is a very nice appaloosa mare. Skittish, but appears well cared for. They informed the sheriff. Is that considered pet sitting?
I keep a big horse halter in my barn, as I have had big horses show up also. We are 10 miles from a town. Amazing how they can travel so far.

Latest posts

Back