My aunt is wanting a horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RENMACMINIS

Ok. I have 2 TWH's and 4 (hopefully 5 soon) Miniature horses. My aunt who lives next door to me in my grandparents old house wants a "horse". She just wants something to play with, she says she wants to ride but she is on the heavy side and it would take a stocky horse for her. My mom says let her ride my 18year old TWH mare I say "no way" as I am trying to get her in foal and I dont want her doing anything that might cause her to lose the foal. My uncle her husband calls me today to talk to me about this. He wants to get her one, I say Bill she is afraid of big horses and all she will do is let it get by with everything b/c she is afraid of it and/or thinks its cute and then we will have a big problem on our hands. He says I know.. So he says well she wants one of your "ponies" she really likes the one that is going to have the baby soon. I say "Bill that mare belongs to Renee she isnt for sale". He says what about your other little mare? I say "Bill that one belongs to Mackenzie she isnt for sale either" So he says well I want to find her one but we dont have anywhere to keep it, and we dont have any hay in the winter to give it etc....I said.. Bill you can keep her in the lower lot, and we always bale our own hay and we just sell what we dont need. We will just keep enough for one if you get her one. I also told him if he got her a miniature that in the winter time he could just winter it with mine it would be no problem. Here it the thing though, my aunt is very timid. I am just afraid that she will ruin any horse she gets be it big or small. Because she will let it get away with murder and not discipline it for it. My only problem is I have 2 daughters ages 8 and 3 and then i have 2 nieces and a nephew ages 7, 5 and 3. They all love to come to Aunt Sherry's to play with and ride the "ponies". I cant let anything mean on the place b/c i dont want the kids hurt. What do I do? Do I help them pick out a horse? and help her learn about them by working with her? or do i call my uncle back and say "sorry Bill but she cant keep it with mine?" I know she just wants something to go out and pet and brush and feed and love on. But I just dont know what to do? any advice? help please?

Sherry

Honestly, I would be a little evil. I would tell them that you will help them pick out a horse and then pick out a horse that YOU want. From what you said it seems like you're the one who is going to be taking care of it, so why not find a horse that you're interested in? Just wondering though, instead of buying her own horse, could she not just "play" with yours?

Start with the money and responsiblity first.

Out line a daily work schedule for her that she will be expected to do.

List farrier costs, vet costs, feed & hay costs.

With a lady that just has love to give, I see this as an amazing opportunity for her to foster or adopt or rescue an abused horse.

Horses are much stronger then anyone wants to give them credit for and being heavy doesnt mean you cant ride heck I have seen plenty a BIG COWBOY riding a tiny 15 hand horse with no problem and riding them all day long.

I wouldnt let that be an excuse to not let her get a horse... the rest well depends on how much drama you want to start lol

Well she wants one that is "hers" now just one of mine on loan.

My uncle is a horse person and knows about the cost of farriers, we bale our own hay, and He knows what feed costs b/c he has went with me numerous times to go pick up my feed. I forgot to mention in my first post that this uncle has multiple melanoma, I think i spelled that right. He is in remission right now but he will never be cured. It is a type of bone cancer that can not be "cured" it just goes into a dormant state and can flare up anytime from 1 year to 10 years down the road. He has only been married to this woman, her name is also Sherry for 2 years she will be 55 years old this year. The reason i hesitate towards a rescue is b/c of her fear/timidness of horses. Also.. and please dont flame me for this.. Most of our pastures are fenced in barb wire only because it used to be cattle pasture. The pasture that my horses are currently in is being refenced with the pvc/vinyl board fencing. but the field that "her" horse would be pastured in is Barb Wire. We are working on refencing my grandparents place a section at a time. But it takes time and money as it is just myself and my husband doing it. We are putting up field fencing in its place so we only tear down as much as a roll of fencing will replace at a time. My big horses pasture on it during the summer time it is 26 acres with 10 acres fenced off for a hay field and then approx. 1-2 acres fenced off by the house they are living in. I just dont know if I should encourage this or not. I just dont want to see her get a horse/miniature and then decide she doesnt want it after i get attached to it or put alot of time in training it and then them decide they dont want it and get rid of it... :no:

Sherry

Lisa, I was being very very nice when i said she was "heavy". She is also very short. (no offense to short and or heavy people!)I know horses are alot stronger than they look.. I just dont think she could handle a big horse. Either on the ground or from its back. Also if she does get a big horse she would not be able to keep it with mine as I winter my 2 big horses with my minis. (This is my choice to make so please no flames on that! i accept and understand that accidents do and can happen and that is something I have to live with. Also my 2 big horses have been around minis and or ponies for a very long time They are mother and son. My mare is 18 years old and I have owned her for 10 years and the gelding is her son whom i have had since he was concieved. They are very gently laid back horses and love the minis) I wont put a big horse that I do not know in with any of my horses big or small until I know what kind of attitude they have and how the act around the other horses. I just think a Mini or a pony or a donkey for that matter would be a good choice for her as she might not be as intimadated by them as she would be a big horse. I dont know what to do.. i think lack of sleep being on mare stare is affecting all of my decisions and thats why i asked for your help.

Sherry

Why not just let her come 'play' with yours? bet the new would wear off fast and you wouldnt drag an unwanted horse into the mix.

Have you considered a say 4 year old gelding? Maybe one that was trained to drive? The two I have are so loving, and want so much to please it might be the ideal answer. If she gets bored with it maybe one of the kids could show him. He could run around with the girls and you dont have to worry about babies. Just a thought.

liltnt.. that sounds perfect if werent for the fact that you lived on the complete opposite coast from me. LOL

My uncle just called me back a few minutes ago. Asking me about the foal that I have due anyday now. I told him if she really wanted one and if she has a colt I would "sell" it to him, but only on the condition that they have it gelded. This way maybe if she starts out with a baby she might be ok with it. This way hopefully by the time it grows up she wont be so timid with it.... I dont know what else to do This way If she changes her mind or gets to scared of it I can "take" it back and redo what damage if any she does and then just let it live out its life here.

sherry

Actually, reading your last post I felt I had to give my 'two cents'. LOL I really think a 'baby' is a bad idea for someone like your aunt. You kept emphasising her fear, inexperience, etc, none of that is a complete turn off. If her heart is in the right place, she is, like Marty suggested, a great candidate for a older rescue (provided it doesn't have problems of its own, especially tempermentally, and many do because of the situations they were in), but more realistically, for a 'been there, done that, want to please' gelding, or even mare. I think that someone like your aunt would be much better off with an animal that has had all the right training to make it a pleasant, loving companion. Starting off, with her experience (or lack thereof), and possibly fear... an untrained animal of any age is a mistake, and espeically a foal. Now I realize you're right next door, but ultimately it will be her horse to raise and train, and if she's not experienced, like you said you fear she would let it run all over her, and not disapline it... well that's a recipe for disaster with a foal, gelding or not. JMO I really hope you work it out for the best of all concerned.

Thanks CountryHaven.. I needed the kick in the butt to get me to thinking.. your right. I will talk to him in the morning and tell him I will help him look for just the right one for her. Hopefully if she does get bored with it I can just buy it from them and give it a good home. I just hope they will listen to me and let me help them. Hopefully I can get her online to read this forum some also.

Thanks Everyone

Sherry

She needs an older, "B" gelding- something that is not show grade but quiet and well behaved and would not disgrace you if she decided to take it in the ring (not that anything would, anyway!!)

Surely there is something out there- have you contacted Kaykay??

What about a rescue that she could nurse back to health- a no problems sort of animal that just needs a good feed- there are SO many out there.

Talk to her about a "pound puppy" PLEASE!!!!

And I agree about small heavy people- at 8 stone I looked like one of those little carved megalithic goddesses- all on the bottom half and SWINGING!!!!

We do not carry weight too gracefully, I am afraid.

I have known a number of "heavy" but tall people who were great at their weight, no problems, looked AMAZING.

I looked fat!!
default_yes.gif
:

I think she's got the opportunity to learn to be a good horse woman. I remember when I got my first horse (an arab x qh gelding), I did not know ANYTHING including how to ride and yes, I did let that horse get away with murder. It was about two years where I wasn't able to do anything but ride him at a walk in a small fenced area and could not get on him if H wasn't there to hold him still! Mostly, I spent 2 years brushing him and giving him treats BUT I was deliriously happy just to have my own horse.

Then I met someone who showed me how to handle a horse, and how to make the horse respect me. At that point, I was wanting to ride and be able to do the things others could do with their horses. It really did not take long at all. I think I spent a couple days making Sky respect me from the ground and then he was standing still for me to mount him, and a few weeks and we were cantering up a storm.

Since she's wanting a horse to ride, I think she should go with a big horse. If she got a mini, then it would eventually end up being two horses (and she'll probably come to want a mini, anyway). I bet she will eventually realize you can do this that and the other with your horses, and that she cannot. At that point, she should be open to some horsemanship lessons.

Just knowing how much horses have given me (things you'd never think you'd get from a horse), it could be something so meaningful in her life and she is lucky to have and live so close to someone who knows how to be a good horse person.

Latest posts

Back