Must-have for your show horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I am going to be hitting the show ring next year and I know I am going to need a bunch of supplies and I am getting overwhelmed by browsing tack websites.

I am wanting to put together a list of everything I will need to have for each horse for showing so I would like to know what each one of your show horses have.

I'm not looking for specific classes but a broad general list like what kind of blankets, etc.

Thanks!

I use Sleazy Sleepwear for hoods, but they do have full body sleazy's. I get my sheets and blankets from Supreme Equine Design.

For neck wraps and throat latch sweats look at Mini Horse Feathers.

Don't forget puzzle mats, or some type of mat to cover up the floor of your tack stall.

Box Fans

Box Fan Holders

Small Hay Nets

Square Bale Cover

I like the Ultra grooming supplies that I buy from Schneiders and I also buy different organizers that help keep the tack room clean and tidy and they are called Easy Up.

Shampoo I like Ezall. Very simple and easy to use and fast.

Treats!!! I always have a package of peppermints for my minis
default_yes.gif
I also have the usual stuff like everyone else. If you show in an outside ring we have a pop up coverall for protection from the sun and/or rain

Have fun hitting the show ring

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

When it comes to showing, the first thing I do is make a check list for what I need to pack in advance so I can purchase what I need. If you are doing one day shows your list will be much shorter than multi-day or weekend shows. First, I pack everything I need for basic care; feed and water buckets, hay feeders, bedding, stall forks and wheelbarrow or muck bucket. Hay and grain in travel containers. Bathing bucket and tools (sponges, scrubbies, sweat scraper) shampoo and cond. Grooming supplies; curry combs, brushes, mane/tail combs, hoove pick and polish, rubber bands and tape, scissors and clippers, show sheen, ultra, shapelys touch up, baby oil, baby powder. Then comes tack; both show and work tack. Bridles, harnesses, saddles and pads, girths, lunging equipment, draw reins and martingales, extrabits, crops, whips and spurs. We bring extra stirrup leathers, reins and even extra halters and leads for emergencies. Don't forget tack cleaning supplies and leather care. Then horse clothing...coolers and sweat sheets, stable sheets and blankets/hoods if necesary (clipped horse during cold months). Stall bandages and exercise boots too. If showing a long weekend, extras are needed as laundry facilities are not always available or time does not allow for it. Also remember things like tack hooks, bucket hooks, gate or door chains/snaps (sometimes show stalls are in bad shape) brooms, shovels etc. You also may want a bucket heater if hot water is not available for baths. Things like crossties and mats for tack/grooming stalls (we used roll out fake grass carpet). Extension cords and work lights too if showing at fairgrounds with limited utilities. Im sure I forgot something but if you make lists ahead of time you should be prepared. When we used to show extensively, we had separate stuff for home and shows, so that it stayed nice, new and clean and it always stayed in the trailer so it did not get forgotten. A lot of what you need depends of what/where/how long you are showing. At long shows, you need bedding and groceries and extra clothing and toiletries for yourself, whereas at a one day show, one outfit, change of cloths and a take out lunch do fine. As far as grooming products, much of it is a personal preference and a lot of it is long term prep before a show, like coat and skin supplements, mtg hair grower needs time and working out in a sweat takes time for results. Have fun and let us know how you make out.

Tail bags, clean rags, show halters, hoof polish, sandpaper, little black rubber bands for braiding (driving or hunter/jumper), baby oil, mats are nice if you are showing in an indoor dirt arena and you can have a little set up area outside the ring.

Of course you will need a good organization system for all this stuff. For me it has been a work in progress. The more shows I go to I see what I need and don't need, but always better to be over prepared.

Here's my list-

A 'going out' fresh looking nylon halter and lead for each horse

Simple sheet for each - whatever's cheap and sturdy

Sleezy hood for the white boy

Polo wraps and bell boots for trailer ride

Hay bags - slow feed!

Extra trailer ties

Buckets - 2 more then you think you need!

Manure fork

For the ringside grooming bag -

Hoof clear

Showsheen

Paper towels

Lint roller

Spare safety pins and thin gold and silver wire

Leather wipes (like you buy for your sofa! They work wonders!)

Silver wipes - pricey but worth it

Brushes that never leave that kit! Get a cheap set and never have them leave your show supplies!

Then there's the people stuff

Big lots area rug to cover floor

Fold out chairs

Fold out table

More food and 3x the drinks you think you need!

Then the 'oh shoot' kit

Super storng magnets and a tarp (cover up trailer in case of rain!)

Spare tire and jack

Misc hoof trimming tools

Equine and person first aid kits

Vet wrap

Super glue

Okay when it comes to sleezies.....

Do you get the full body or two piece and why? I've never had one, can you use blankets on top of it for extra warmth?

My husband (after all these years of showing) had me make a master list of the items we take to shows. Then made copies. So we can use it as a check list for each show. Anything we won't need for that particular show is just crossed off. It seems you almost always forget at least one item. The master list also makes refilling any missing or 'empty' items (gel, highlighter, sprays, etc.) easier to remember to replace.

I think it really depends on what you prefer. I've done both, full body sleezies and right now I get the sleezy hood and buy a sheet, and that is what I prefer. I can't tell you why cause I don't know lol.

I am partial to the Ultra products as I helped the guy develop them before he sold out to Schneiders. You can thank me for the hoof polish remover. He thought I was nuts, took a while to convince him but that stuff is wonderful.

I hate show sheen, makes the coat too slippery. We use Pepi instead. My preference is to keep the trailer loaded with the standard items so you don't have to load and unload. Buckets haynets, fork, muck bucket, tote of the grooming stuff. All I have left to load is the horses, clippers, blankets, hay/grain, harness, cart, halter bag.

We've invested in the whole shebang - the full body sleezy, the sleezy hoods, sheets, AND blankets...

So much depends on what time of year you are showing in. Blanketing with a sleezy hood is a must during colder temps.

You can also have a full body sleezy underneath the blanket if the weather warms up and just shed off the blanket.

Sheets are nice for when you've had to bathe the horse at the show want to give them time to dry off before puting on

either a full sleezy or blanket.

If it's just a weekend show, we tend to bathe the horse at home the day before leaving, let him dry out and then sleezy

him, etc. If you have to bathe at the show, a sheet is wise to have so he doesn't chill.

Remember, the primary use of a sleezy is to keep your show horse as clean as possible. It's the closest thing made to

puting your horse in Bubble-wrap until pulling him out of his stall and "making him up". (It's also called "goo and go".)

We have always tried to do as much as we could at home...starting weeks ahead with bathing, a body clip, hoof trim...then

following up the day before leaving with another bath, body clip (with more detailed clipping), hoof trim with sanding, and a

first coating of hoof polish. The more you can get done, the less stress there is at the show.

BTW, have you been to some shows? The more you attend and take notes, the more you'll learn, observe, and pick up.

Thanks for all your input guys I've really enjoyed reading your responses!

I already love Pepi, so I know that will be my brand of choice instead of show sheen...never have liked it much besides for in the manes and tails after bathing.

Miniv, yes I have been to several, from the small AMHA/AMHR shows and i got to go to AMHA Worlds last year as well. I got meet and greet with a lot of people and I learned a bunch, but I got very different answers from every person and I am trying to so my research so I can do what's best for my personal situation.

I live in upstate SC, so our winters tend to be mild compared to up north. We usually only get one or two snows and they are 99% of the time in January or February (in fact it snowed this past february the same morning of my c-section and the whole time I was in the hospital).

Knowing this and hearing your responses and the people that I met, I'm going to invest in a full body sleezy, sheet and heavy blanket for each one I want to show. Our first show is in April, so I am starting them in december with their feed program, workout and training schedule to have them fully prepared.

Latest posts

Back