Movement- what is desirable?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
Well I am (quite obviously) new to minis and still trying to learn all I can before I venture out and buy my first. In fact it will probably be a good two or three years before I even think about getting a mini, but I am doing my best to learn everything I can about the breed so I will know exactly what I want to get when the time comes.

One thing I have been wondering about for a while now is movement, and what kind of movement is looked for in the show ring. I have noticed some pictures of miniatures with big, high-knee action on this forum that seem to be well received. Is that generally what one is aiming towards with their minis?

Also, are different styles of movement preferred for different driving classes? Would a hunter-style, flat-kneed movement do well in any driving classes?

thanks for your input.

Not everyone is looking for the same type of movement. For me, I want the kind of movement you would look for a dressage horse - consistent tempo, straight from front or back, and a long stride when seen from the side. I don't care how high they lift their knees, but it should be the same as the hock action in back. They must have proper conformation to be able to move correctly. And yes, flat kneed movers with a long stride are desirable for Western Country Pleasure or Classic Pleasure driving as long as the "headset" is correct. It is actually what I prefer.

There are some good books on movement: one is Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement by Susan Harris.

While high action is hard to get, more hunter/dressage motion is also valuable. Horses can be competitive in country or western with this motion.

Not everyone prefers a pleasure or park horse.

Bottom line is: athletic is athletic.

I agree, depends on what you like- do like a fancy high stepping horse, or one with a long ground covering gait? There are many different types in the Minis so the great part is, you get to pick what you want! I personally like a horse with a nice movement that can cover the ground- not so much high action up and down. They should travel correctly - and with knees and hocks and ankles that BEND though- not the stiff 'no knee joint' gait we used to see years ago.

I love big horse movement, and I've been trying to sell the biggest mover in my herd. I want to see reach and drive. Except for the breeds that hackney (in dogs or horses), reach and drive is a good indicator of a well-balanced horse.

You will find the two registries are placing differant types as well. Where AMHR has gone towards the extreme park type movement in pleasure and even in roadster, and now coming into the country pleasure class as well, AMHA seems to tend towards action but with good length of stride in pleasure, more what those of us with dressage background find so exciting and attractive in our horses, and still uses the road horse movement in roadster, (that is a horse with ground covering gait that can make some miles in a short amount of time!! Having Standardbreds in my background as well, love this type of mover also!!
default_yes.gif
)

Both registries have several driving divisions though so most can find a place to put the type of movement they like and be competitive.

I guess movement is all in the eye of the beholder.  I haven’t yet seen much…any… “extreme park type” movement in the AMHR horses.   I do see them getting away from the straight kneed and even “pomeranian” type action that has been so common—even popular—in the past.  Likewise I haven’t seen much for dressage type action in the AMHA horses—that is hard enough to find in AMHR and overall I like the movement of the AMHR horses better than that of the AMHA horses….and I have a dressage background with the big horses.

Morgans—my main breed for so many years—had a “round” sort of action.  They had knee/hock flexion combined with good extension.  That is the action I would like to see in the Minis.  I have an intense dislike for those horses that bring the knee up and then throw the foot out in front—and I do find that this is what many people consider to be “good extension” in the Miniatures.  That isn’t my idea of good movement in any breed.  While Minis are moving better than they did not too many years ago, the majority of them still lack the fluidity that I like.

I like to see a horse with an uphill trot—the horse sets himself up and elevates the front end, driving under with his quarters.  There will be good knee and hock flexion, but that does not mean “park horse” movement.  I picture more a grand prix dressage horse’s sort of movement/carriage.  Granted there are many dressage horses who do not ‘trot uphill’ and simply go on the forehand, but a GOOD one will definitely have that lift to his front end. 

If you want to know what “round” action is—think of a wagon wheel.  Mark a red circle at some spot on the rim of that wheel.  Now watch that wheel roll along—the path of that red circle as the wheel rolls is very similar to the path of the hoof of a Morgan that has the breed standard’s round action.  If you were to paint a red circle on the side of a Morgan’s hoof and then watch that red circle as the horse trots, you would see much the same path as is followed by the circle painted on that wagon wheel.  There will be elevation and extension—you won’t see an up and down action and you won’t see a low, stiff kneed sort of trot, nor will you see the horse bring his leg up and then fling it out to the front.

Latest posts

Back