Do any of you use your minis as part of a ministry or non-profit program?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max's Mom

Reaction score
I love to share my interest in horses with others, and especially enjoy mentoring kids. At various points in my life I've directed Christian horseback programs at a summer camp, and find this to be very fulfilling. Max has worked in this capacity at camp, and he really seems to shine when giving pony rides and lessons to little children and being the safe horse for people to learn how to groom, lead, tack up, etc.

When working at camp he/I were covered under their liability policy. But outside of camp, I've been very frustrated about how limited I am without liability insurance. I want to use what God has blessed me with to bless others, and share Max with children and teens! I don't want to make money with this- I see it as a ministry. When I checked into a pony ride policy, it would be a minimum of $100 a month. Maybe that's just how it is- but that seems like an awful lot of money for just one horse working with maybe a few kids a month.

So... do any of you use your minis in this way (like a ministry or other non-money making program)? How did you get started? What do you do for liability (and do you have any recommendations)? I'd love to hear your stories.

You can get liability insurance when joining the United State Equestrian Federation...as long as what you are doing with your horses, you aren't charging for and not trying to make any money at. That is what I have joined.. go to usef.org What you are wanting to do sounds wonderful.

You can get liability insurance when joining the United State Equestrian Federation...as long as what you are doing with your horses, you aren't charging for and not trying to make any money at. That is what I have joined.. go to usef.org What you are wanting to do sounds wonderful.
I went to the website to check it out but wasn't sure if this would be enough. Does this actually cover if you are engaging in horse related activities with someone else? It sounded like it might just be if your horse happened to injure a bystander. Does your policy give all these details (I didn't see them listed on the website)?

My understanding, it is for anything with your horses, as long as you aren't making any money off of it. I joined under the not showing or something like that area. If you aren't sure, you should contact them. Mine I was worried, since I board her, that if someone goes into her paddock, that I don't know about, and gets hurt. That would be covered, but according to the state I live in, that should be covered under the equine law anyway, but I thought, better safe than sorry, and for such a reasonable price for a years worth, I couldn't pass it up. Came to around $6.25 a month.

How sad that people need liability insurance. If you're mad about something brush it off or tell someone off, don't sue 'em. If you get hurt, well, that's life. Suck it up, cupcake lol! I have done a few things, church youth group and vacation bible school. Of course visitors. A mare of my breeding is working as a therapy horse. I would like to do more as a ministry, but it seems like my purpose is more behind-the-scenes than traveling with my minis. I would like to go to a nursing home with my horses someday. Thanks for posting, great topic!

We have the liability insurance for our horses through an umbrella policy with Farm Family that covers our house, cars, and trailers too. Anyone who has horses should check their homeowners policy to see what it does - and doesn't - cover in regards to their horses. I don't think it matters what you do with them (assuming you aren't a business). We need to provide copies of our policy when we take our minis to Equine Affaire and various other places. We also use our minis in 4-H (including nursing home visits) and have some coverage because of that, but I still want my own liability coverage.

Targetsmom, What sort of extra insurance do you carry for 4-H? Did you get it from Farm Family? If you don't mind saying, about what do you pay for it?

We don't do anything extra because of 4-H since they cover us somewhat anyway. As I said, we get ALL our insurance in an umbrella policy from Farm Family and I know it saves us money over what we were paying separately on the house, barn, liability, 4 vehicles and 2 trailers. I don't know what it is just for the liability, but I do know that we are covered a LOT better than we were on a regular homeowners policy. If you have a Farm Family agency near you I would suggest you contact an agent.

I have a mare who is a volenteer to Personal Ponies which is a non profit org for childern with disibilities. She has gone to Detroits children hospital, parades with kids, farm/home visits to kids, and did a show season with 2 different kids which was a 1st for everyone including my mare. She's awesome and will always be there if/when needed.

misty.jpg

Animal and handler teams that are certified through Pet Partners (formerly The Delta Society) carry a $1M liability policy. You can find details for the evaluation/certification process and programs in your area on their website: www.petpartners.org

Jessica & Gatsby (therapy pony in training)

Wow! What great ideas (both insurance and programs)! I'm looking into them...

The Personal Ponies organization sounds fantastic. I read through some of their website. Looks like they only do UK Shetlands, but the concepts are quite intriguing. It was also interesting to learn about Pet Partners.

I love hearing what you are doing.

MaxsMom,

They do do a lot/focus with the "UK shetlands" but only have a number of them in the program. However they do adopt/rescue a lot of ponies and minis to place in homes with children as long as they are safe/sane/loving. I actually do farrier work for 2 diff volenteers here by me and neither farms have a single UK Shetland on it.

Matter of fact, my 1st mini was donated to the program back in 2004 along with a dwarf. The woman who recieved them said my boy could not be entered into the program because he was a young aggressive stallion. He was at the farm for about 4 days tearing fences down and causing havic when I fell in love with him and bought him outright.

He was the beginning of my farm and my new life. In a weird way, I was helped too by this program and never really knew it. I was a bad kid and teenager. Mouthy, in trouble with the law, did drugs, ran with a crappy ex boyfriend and was a useless looser on my way to either prison or death. When I bought my lil guy, I did a 180 and learned to be responsable. Got a job so I can support my mini and got away from all the drugs and loosers I was hanging with. I really truely believe my lil guy who I fell in love with, with his wild attitude saved me as I saved him. My family is shocked how I changed in a blink of an eye and now today I am drug free for 10 yrs, have a great job, own my farrier service, got married to a great guy, have a big farm FULL of minis, chickens, bunnies, & iris flowers and living life other then throwing it away!

As for my lil stallion, he is my heart horse and the love of my life and will live out his days with me here on my farm. He is the center of my breeding program and has made me who I am today. My farm is named after him, and so glad that the day I showed up in that driveway and saw him ripping fences down and causing havic, I made the decision I did.

riobravo.jpg

Bob Me Misty.jpg

100_0095.jpg

100_4251.jpg

DSC02786_cropped_6x4_2nd_set_sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back