Moral Values & Politics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jill,

Don't waste you time clicking on mininik's link - I did NOT finish the video.

I can NOT believe anyone would not think the USA would not be insulted by this?

I am DISGUSTED!

It does INSULT my religious beliefs. I don't think that it is right to be able to post something that insulting on the here. Of coure, I have no control on what is posted. I can say I am very disappointed.

I am going to have to look at that MAP just one more time. Because I still can't beleive something like this is not offending MOST USA Citizens and most people that belieive in GOD.

I much rather beleive in God than listen to someone that puts a map up like that.

Lowriseminis if your trying to help me I really do appreciate it.

I have to say I am too offended by the map - I do NOT want to listen to this man.

To be honest, I thought he was funny at first - because I would consider myself a Conservative in ways - but, as much as I love Applebee's . If we go on vacation or just somewhere different we LOVE to try new restaurants. We can eat Applebee's at home....lol.

So, right there I knew he was wrong - but, at the same time I thought he was trying to be a comedian. I don't know who this guy is.

Then I seen the two maps - and I was extremely offended. Because of my country and because of my religion. I don't know who this guy is or what he is - but, he is very insulting in my opinion.

It's an attempt to inject a bit of humor to the audience at the talk-which if you watch is largely liberal, and the speaker goes on to point how why the sort of thinking that leads to people making maps like that is an issue.

Past about minute five the talk takes on a more serious, very interesting and informative tone about why we need both liberal and conservative views.

Last edited by a moderator:
** Changed my mind - I just don't want to give this man any credit. Honestly after looking at the map I just can't finish watching him.

Last edited:
Do you really think those two words go together
................ Only if we can put Dave Ramsey in control. I think we should put him in control of all of our nations finances............. More people should listen to what this wise man has to say!!!!!!! ......................... For those of you who do not know who he is and need guidance in your finances check him out. He also can be heard on the radio.
http://www.daveramsey.com/

Life, Money, Hope - Dave Ramsey.com

The below is what this video is about. It's unfortuante that Lisa feels the way she does, that this is her perception of the video. The one part she mention pokes fun at Liberals and Conservatives. Read the below before you decide not to watch it. Seems he hit the nail on the head about his description about people who are Liberal - being open to change in their lives, and more adventuresome, etc. and Conservatives being less adventuresome and liking stability , etc. It is an excellent video which will make both sides understand each other much better and may help get people to be civil and respectful of each others opinions, not just in politics but in other views they have.

I do respect Lisa's right to her feelings and her not wanting to watch the entire video.

Psychologist Jonathan Haidt studies morality and emotion in the context of culture. He asks: Why did humans evolve to have morals -- and why did we all evolve to have such different morals, to the point that our moral differences may make us deadly enemies? It's a question with deep repercussions in war and peace -- and in modern politics, where reasoned discourse has been replaced by partisan anger and cries of "You just don't get it!" Haidt asks, "Can't we all disagree more constructively?" He suggests we might build a more civil and productive discourse by understanding the moral psychology of those we disagree with, and committing to a more civil political process. He's also active in the study of positive psychology and human flourishing.

Learn more about his drive for a more productive and civil politics -- and sign a pledge to engage in civil politics -- on his website CivilPolitics.org. And take an eye-opening quiz about your own morals at YourMorals.org

Danielle_E

Thank you for understanding I don't want to watch his video. It isn't as much as what he says, like I said in my last post I thought he was funny.

It was the two maps....did you see those? Did you look really close to what it says on one of the US Maps? I am not asking that to be rude. I need new glasses and I had to really get close and look at the wording on the maps. I just couldn't believe it said that.

So, in my opinion if he wants everyone to get a long - why was he using maps like that?

It is against my religion to look at those maps or I guess I should say agree with what he done with those maps.

Here is another thing that bothered me...Isn't Canada and USA Allies (sp) - by his maps it looked like he was trying to point out Canada was all GREAT and USA was all BAD. So, that I took as an insult to not only my religion but my country also.

Now, I am not saying Canada is bad. I have said many times on this forum, that my husband and I want to got to Canada so bad - it is our dream vacation. The only thing is when we go to Canada we want to spend 3 to 4 weeks there.

We go to Destin, FL almost every year and my would family gets together. My husband and I are talking DREAM VACATION.

I am sorry, I got a little off topic - I just wanted you and everyone to see where these two maps can be really offending to some people. I would have walked out of his audience if he would have put that in front of me.

Oh, and Cathy H - I don't know if you read these books or not, but I think he has everyone of his books. Please forgive the spelling. His name is Robert Keosocky - If you haven't tried one of his books you really should from what my son Say's anyway.

Lisa, I did see the map and I thought it was a little over the top and at first I thought is he saying that the southern U.S. is religious and the northern U.S. and Canada are heathens???? and then I watched it a second time and understood in the context of the entire video that he was pointing out the stereotypes that we apply to others and that it's stupid to have these stereotypes.

Yesterday I was in a basic fit I tell you. There is an idiot and I am being kind because I have another name for those like him, but a retired gentleman in Florida who has put a sign on his front lawn and this sign said "Obama is a half-breed Muslin". First off, as this guy's neighbour in the video pointed out to him that he has the right to say whatever he wants, freespeech that he wasn't happy that he had put this sign up on his front lawn and he also pointed out to at least spell the word right Muslin to Muslim. He says "is that so? and then he says "I guess I will have to make a bigger sign...."
default_no.gif
:arg! The guy was a real you know what. I got really angry Lisa when I saw that because my grandaughter is what this man would call a "half-breed". Makayla's father is from South Africa and black and we are french caucasians. I was so angry that I told my husband last night "forget it, we aren't taking Makayla to Disney in Florida this year.... and I proceeded to tell him how there was no way in heck that I was going to bring Makayla into that kind of an environment if that is how they feel about people who are of mixed decent... and on and on I went. My husband basically calmed me down and said "come on, that is one guy out of ......" You see, when emotions get into it and we get ourselves all worked up without looking at the bigger picture... Suffice it to say we are taking Makayla to Disney and looking forward to doing so BUT I better not meet THAT man :), he won't know what hit him, ROFLMAO. I should have known better, my parents owned a home in Sarasota for approximately 20 years and I just got so angry when I witnessed (on video) what I consider biggotry, it's so ugly but thank God my husband calmed me down, lol, and pointed out the fact that it certainly is NOT the majority of U.S. citizens that think this way at all
default_smile.png

WHOA..this thing is all over the place..conservatives, liberals and now racism ??

NOPE..not gonna watch the video..
default_rolleyes.gif

There is no racism in this video, sorry if I gave that impression. I was talking about another video that was pointed out to me on your tube. I was replying to Lisa about the maps she mentioned and giving her my take on what I thought they meant based on the entire video and just trying to point out if you look at something without the bigger picture sometimes it doesn't give an accurate picture of what we think it means. Then I gave the example of the video I watched and how it gave me the impression that biggotry was alive and well in the south, I know I was being emotional and angry, when my husband smartened me up and told me to stop being so emotional ant that I knew better than that and on and on he went, lol. He was right of course but I was so mad at the time. I know darn well that Americans, the majority, are certainly not like this at all and it was just ME taking it that way. You have to excuse me because I am french and we french women are very emotional, lol.

This is what I was talking about

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2008/9/....html?refresh=1

OOhhhkay..let me tell you ..I like the color the army gives people..GREEN..ALL Green!
default_laugh.png

Danielle_E - well, you sound like me on the way to FL this year when we went by a house that said basically no african americans ( not those words of course) are welcomed her. It was a huge house with a yard sale. I am sure you have seen my story on it. I was so angry that I wanted to turn around and tell them off. My husband calmed me down too...LOL>

I also have a German sister in law and on my step-dads side two of his daughters married mexicans. So, I do know what you mean. If I heard someone call my neices or nephes that ( can't even say it) I think I would hurt someone..LOL.

What bothered me the most is on one flag the word Jesus and then the rest I will not re-peat it. I was shocked - that is why I had to look at it twice also.

To me it was like saying if you believe in God - you are all wrong. Not open minded, etc.

I just can' get passed the flags.

Who is this guy anyway. I honestly thought in the beginning he was some kind of comdian trying to be funny. One of those serious type comedians that make you laugh and you wonder how they keep a straight face.

Then he showed the FLAGS and I was SHOCKED.

Oh, and I don't know if you have been to disney world before. I havn't been for 14 years - but, all colors, types, etc. was there at that time. In fact, I felt a little out of place I was white and spoke English - everyone around me didn't . At least taht is how I felt. I am not sure if it is that way anymore or not.

Just take your grand daugter and have FUN!

Lisa, I totally understand your stand on that video and respect it
default_smile.png

We have been to Disney many times but Makayla has not. We were waiting till she was older (she is 6 now) so that she would appreciate and perhaps remember better than if she was ony 3 or 4. I am very familiar with Florida as it was our second home basically (my family - parents). I do have to say we haven't been back since my parent's sold the house though but look forward to visiting again. We have friends as well down there so it will be a blast.

I just wonder if I reacted that way to the video of this person in Florida I can imagine how upset Americans that are of the Muslim faith feel when they see something so sick as that. I have no idea what the population of muslims are in the U.S. but we have many of that faith living in Canada. I think, and I may be wrong, but I think we are more multi-cultural in Canada so we are use to many religons and faiths and we are a country that prides itself on "being politically correct" but sometimes you can take that too far as well. It's difficult to find a happy medium.

Oh c'mon...you all know that them danged liberals are all godless heathens, right?

Oh, yes...we have no morals or family values, either. I'm so glad the radical right invented these concepts!

I'm so glad the radical right invented these concepts!

You mean the ones that play footsy in bathroom stalls, have affairs with same-sex pages, extra marital affairs , take bribes and the like? Really? I didnt know it was possible. Do as I say, not as I do types? Whodathunkit
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back