Putting a value on a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palindromebaby

Reaction score
Posted here over a year ago and still haven't made the jump on a small driving equine purchase. Still looking to do so and this just might be the year! That said how do you determine how much a mini is worth. I know this is a question that varies greatly by region but what would you say the value on an unregistered 3 year old mare that is broke to drive? 36 inches tall and a flashy palomino paint. The color alone and being a mare usually makes the price higher but I don't want to overpay just because the color is fancy.

Hello!

Buying and selling horses is like buying and selling art work or craft work - there just really isn't a universal rule of thumb on pricing.
Here in my area of MN, if the mare were a safe and experienced driving mare, I think she would be priced somewhere between $1000 - $2500. She could easily go higher if she had a show record and papers.

My experienced driving mares were all older (around 8) when they began their driving careers in the hands of a professional trainer who did absolutely wonderful work. Training - way back then - was about $400 a month per mini (I'd have to look, but that sounds right). Training for each mini was two months, maybe three. Again, it has been awhile so some of the details escape me.

I do know that they are as sound as a dollar, mentally and physically and as trustworthy as possible for a living breathing animal with a mind of her own! They started out as sensible creatures and were in the hands of an experienced and thoughtful horse trainer who understands the value of time.

These things have kept the bit of driving I do (and that the grandkids do) safe and fun.

If you have an opportunity, I would watch her being hitched up, driven, and unhitched. I would want lessons with her owner on how to cue her, what are her 'quirks', if any? Has she been driven on the road, arena, state park, parade? How does she stand, lead, interact with people/dogs/horses? Load in a trailer?

You are surprisingly vulnerable in your cart even pulled by a mini. You can't ask too many questions!

Good luck and be safe!

At 3 I am doubting (and hoping!) she has too much experience. I would be sure to take her for a test drive and have confirmed that the seller has the ability to make a test drive happen. The lack of papers really sucks and that makes me want to pay less as I won't be able to do any classes that require papers.

The mini will really be my husbands who has no goal other than take the little one to the bike trail for some relaxing driving. I on the other hand love to show and would like to at least play around at smaller shows in hand and in a pleasure driving class or two. Maybe even a driven dressage or obstacle class. My trailer has space when I show the big mare so why not? Breeding isn't really of interest as I would rather have a foal out of my full size mare before I looked at having a mini foal.
Would between 500 and 700 be reasonable? I have seen "plain" bay solid Amish trained driving ponies going for 350ish in the area. One of those might be the better choice for us but I am torn between liking this flashy paint and going for solid citizen that isn't as flashy. And I keep asking myself if I want to try and keep a palomino paint clean...My full size mare is black so I have yet to see a manure stain. ;)

Three is pretty young. Horses are not even allowed to show in AMHA until they are three. If this mare is "broke to drive" at that young age, I would definitely want to see her working in harness before a purchase.
There are many places to show besides the breed rings. CDE events do not require papers. You could have her registered with the pinto association and show her there.
A registered 3 year old driving horse in my area, unshown, could be had for $1000 or less.

@Marsha Cassada 3 is Super young in my mind! Almost too young as I wonder how many young miles they have put on her. CDE is of interest to me but my husband isn't a small guy and I am wondering if a 36 mini would be big enough for him to try anything but road driving. Great thought on the pinto registry! Thanks for giving me a price reference for something with papers to compare to.

I think a 36" pony should be fine to work with your husband if the pony is fit. A finely boned horse might not work, but a sturdy one should have no problem. My 32" boy works fine with two adults + a child in the wooden cart on the road. So a 36" one that is fit should be able to work for him.

Anything well trained and bomb proof to drive on trails is generally going to cost more than a young horse with no experience (unless you are buying with later breeding of a registered horse or showing, etc.). Out in California you'd be looking at $3500-6500 easily.

Take into consideration well trained (I hate well broke - we're training them not breaking them), horse requires months if not years and many many hours of road work to be safe. Arena driving you do not have cars, dogs and other potential distractions. You also mention dressage type work (CDE might interest you), that again takes years to perfect, but people that do it love it.

Latest posts

Back