Moody mares??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
What does everyone use for their mares that seems to suffer from PMS? I have 2 mares and both have been checked by a vet and nothing is wrong. She suggested a product like Premare.

Supplement called "Moody Mare" by Wendahls' Herbs or raspberry leaves directly. Both appear to help. There's a couple of new ones on the market now, too, but I don't know how they work. You can order them online.

Regumate (expensive!) also works.

Sometimes chiropractic or equine massage works well to relieve muscle soreness that in turn lessons' "Mare-ish" symptoms. Again, can get expensive.

And sadly, I've now known of 3 mares that simply couldn't "work" during their symptoms
default_sad.png
None were mine...

Nothing. It doesn't last long enough and unless they are getting so grumpy that they can't be used in their job (i.e. if they won't drive at a show or stand at all) i just leave well alone.

Well the 2 mares that I am having a problem with are the other half of teams. One squeals and squats for everyone and the other tries to mount her partner! I have heard of Chasteberry as something to try. Anyone try that?

I have heard people suggest Mare Magic. Apparently it is just dried raspberry leaves apparently? I haven't used it. My girls just went into their first heat and they weren't too bad. Just a little more snippy with each other than usual. And very kissy with the gelding.

I have successfully used the herbal raspberry leaf mix, I think it was mare magic. This mare was a biggie, and an absolute witch, and she was so miserable I felt bad for her. She was quite docile when in foal, or fed the herbal mix. Unfortunately she had great papers but not great conformation. She was with me a year or so, so I could get her the vet care ( for laminitis) her owner wouldn't.

well the people local to me suggested PreMare. I have to say that there is no way I could continue to give this day after day! You need to squirt 30 ml into their mouth once a day until at least fall. What a night mare! I have one mare that isn't good with dewormer and she is terrible with this. So I did some research and found Raspberry leaves and chasteberry together works great. about 1 tbsp of each once a day on anything. I was told that most will eat it alone. I had to order the supplements so they will be in later this week. I will let everyone know how they work after they arrive.

Latest posts

Back