Molly, Little bit.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I have a question about the ph test strips.

I have been checking molly's milk every night still just as a precaution. the past few nights I think her ph has been dropping. Not by much but the strips don't immediately turn that neon red. When I read them at 15 seconds (like the instructions say) it is between 7.6 and 7.8. It will slowly turn red though after about a minute or so.

So my questions are does that mean her ph is dropping or since it eventually turns red it is still 8.4? and if it is dropping will the ph drop with a phantom pregnancy?

I just wish my vet could get her in sooner so I wasn't playing this guessing game.
default_frusty.gif

I think the reading is good within 15 sec as they always go darker when left.

I don't know about the strips you're using, but even with the Foal-time strips (or whatever they're calling them now) you read those immediately, as when the strip starts to dry the color will change.

So, IMO, if your strip says 15 seconds -- count to 15 and read the strip. THAT is your result -- not what happens later.

Last edited:
Ok then her ph is going down. What about phantoms and the ph dropping? Have anyone with a phantom had their ph drop?

Last edited by a moderator:
whow, lots to think about...it would most likely be hard to find out if ph levels drop in a phantom only because ( am guessing Here ) this late in the game they would know its a phanton and not bother checking ph. I hope you find your answers it would be interresting to know.

I dont want to steal your thread but I agree ...about 15 or less sec. for an accurate reading. But with Holly..I tested her yesterday and she was a text book 7..perfect color...not to scare only to warn you..she foaled last night. 2 years ago I think she was at 7 or 6.8 for almost a week. BUT...these test strip were 2 years old ( the ones u gave me Diane ) were stored in the house, never wet never damp....so perhaps and this is only a guess but the strips may actually have a shelf life and should only be kept for a year they may loose thier potency. I should go check PNut today just for the heck of it and see her reading. It might be interresting.

I'll be watching for answers to your questions.

Yes, they do have a "shelf life" -- as just the up and down humidity in a house with A/C and heat can affect their accuracy. I can't believe you still have them Heidi.

For anyone -- the strips mentioned at the top that MareStare is selling are the ones we're talking about. They have such wonderful accuracy and last such a long time since you only need a drop to get a reading.

I have no idea about the change in pH for a phantom -- but would think it might change a bit -- and then stop. This will be interesting.

Any new pictures? I'm looking for a view from the back looking down her sides.

Last edited:
Heidi you made me laugh cos I was convinved Odette was pregnant in 2011 as she was US positive but slipped it at 2 months whilst the farrier was here, she was tied up and I watched her slip it:( I turned her back out with Eagle a month later and she looked as though she had taken and never came back in heat. She got big and grew an udder. Her ph dropped down to 6.8 and then just stopped. Her udder shrunk about 2 weeks after what should have been her due date. My vet said it was a phantum and she hadn't realised she slipped the foal.

So yes the ph can drop in a phantum.

Yes, the pH can drop in a phantom pregnancy. In our case - using different strips - she went from one end of the chart to the middle and then just stopped. I wonder if a Wee Foal 120 would work on her? It should as says it goes to 300 days and measure something the foal produces. Maybe you could contact Wee Foal and ask them?

Here are some pictures of miss molly today.

Her ph was at 7.8 last night so it is going down.

0512130910.jpg
0512130910a.jpg
0512130910b-1.jpg

Photobucket has obviously had a hissy fit and refused to post two of the pics, but from the third, if she is pregnant, then baby is well dropped into position for delivery!

Can you take a straight forward one from side on to show her tummy please.

Boy she really doesnt look preggo from behind ( thats a good sign ) dropping Ph? good too...cant see first 2 pics either Thanks Anna, a couple more pictures please..fingers still crossed

Ok here are the two pics from this morning that you couldn't see.

Also I swear I saw movement, it looked like she was shaking flies but when i sat down and watched it was very rhythmic like it had the hiccups Do horses even get the hiccups? Still not 100% sure but it would be the first time i have seen anything other than gut movement. Also I didn't see any flies.

This silly little mare has got my head spinning on weather she is or isn't. I know time will tell (or the vet which ever comes first). I am starting to think that maybe my dates are all messed up. I am gonna do some searching and try to get real dates on when I sold the stallion. My husband did remind me that he had gotten loose one night and we found him running the mare's fence in the morning. So maybe there was an oops then. I had completely forgot that that had happened.

Still waiting and seeing!
default_impatient.jpg

0512130910.jpg
0512130910a.jpg

I went over to visit miss Molly and could see her hooha sticking out. She was really swollen. she seems to get more swollen in the back end the warmer the days are, when it was colder the last few days she wasn't as swollen. It is supposed to be in the high 80s tomorrow so we will see what happens.
default_yes.gif

She is testing what I think is 7.8 still the color was a weird color tonight a color that wasn't really matching any on the chart. I had to ask my husband what he thought and he picked 7.8.

default_thumbup.gif

Udder isn't getting any bigger she hasn't done any shopping lately.

0513131104.jpg

Man. I don't know what to think about this little lady! She is just about as confusing as my little mare!

I haven't posted in a while because I am so frustrated and confused with my little Molly. The vet appointment is still over a week away and I am thinking that maybe I am just seeing what I want to see. She seems to still be making small changes like she is pregnant. I would have thought that she would have started to stop and go backward by now.

I did find an old email from someone who came to look at the stallion when I was selling him and it was dated at the end of May, so I think the lady who bought him was off by a month and he didn't leave until June.

So here are some pics of her, I want some of you experience ladies to tell me what you think if you just had the pictures to go by.

0521131926d.jpg

0521131929a.jpg

0521131933.jpg

0521131930.jpg

0521131926a.jpg

Also, the vet said he would have to do an internal sonogram to see if she is pregnant. Is that safe for her being so small? (She is 34") and then if she is being so late into pregnancy?

Latest posts

Back